Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So using ATL, PDX, CLT, RDU, PHL, PHX, etc. is quite common. I've even seen people throw out YYZ when referring to Toronto because the code is so different and unique.
for sure. I do the same thing..depending on my audience of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I still think “NYC” is a very popular spoken reference to New York—probably number two in sheer terms of popularity. Not sure why DC doesn’t count, since that’s part of its name (and 2/3 at that). I’d say ATL would be third most popular, popularized by the airport and hip hop.
Never heard "NYC" spoken aloud.

Source: born and raised in NYC and lived out of state for a couple decades. Neither natives, transplants, or out-of-staters seem to say anything other than "New York" or "New York City".

In fact, I stood in front of a mirror and said it out loud three or four times. I felt like slapping my own mouth as if I were having a seizure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

ABQ is taking over as Albuquerque's most common nickname, especially to outsiders. Many locals, though, cling to calling it The Duke City or prefer the old Spanish nickname Burque.
The first time I heard the Breaking Bad character, Jesse Pinkman, refer to Albuquerque as "ABQ", I completely lost my suspension of disbelief. It doesn't sound right coming out of the mouth of a Burqueño. Our screen names notwithstanding :-)

Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
DC is commonly used for Washington, but it is not the city's initials.
Uh, did you forget it's District of Columbia?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
LA, DC, ATL, and OC is what I feel is top. DC counts, and it's what I always hear the city referred to as. No one is patient enough these days to sit and say "Washington."

Not only is "ATL" the airport, but it's also a movie a music group, more than one song, and dozens of popular songs and television shows reference it. ATL is so popular it seems synonymous with local pride. Imo you don't get that same pride feeling from saying "I'm from RDU" or "MIA."

OC is OC. Probably the best branded county. There's a tv show called it as well. It's not a city, but still just as well known.

I'd say NYC would be up there, but seems saying "New York" is easier than saying "Washington" and "Los Angeles." NYC also doesn't hit you as immediately as LA does, and it doesn't help that the boroughs are big enough to be name dropped on there own.

Arguments can be made for a few others. Most everyone uses their airport code.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I haven't lived in San Francisco. I have seen SF written, of course, but never heard it spoken. I live about 1/2 hour from San Diego County, so friends and acquaintances (and my own family) frequently go there, and no, none of them call San Diego "SD." Your experience may vary.

No one, anywhere, said "the OC" until the TV series of that name appeared in 2003. Since then, some people who live elsewhere, who are transplants, or who tend to be greatly influenced by the media (i.e., the very young) have picked up the phrase.

I find it highly suspect if you are claiming that people in the 70s and 80s said "the OC."
Read carefully, I didn't say that people in the 70's and 80's said "the OC", I'm not sure when they starting saying it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the 70's and 80's.

People have been saying "SD" for a long time for San Diego. If you are long-time local from San Diego, you would know that they say "PB", "OB" , and "MB" as well. PB-Pacific Beach, OB-Ocean Beach, MB-Mission Beach, these are districts and beaches in the City of San Diego, aka "SD".

I personally don't say "the OC", never have, but I've heard others say it.

"Like, I took "the 405" to "the 5" to get to "the OC". The use of "the" in front of the number of a freeway is very common in Southern California so it doesn't shock mean when I hear people say, "the OC".

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The first time I heard the Breaking Bad character, Jesse Pinkman, refer to Albuquerque as "ABQ", I completely lost my suspension of disbelief. It doesn't sound right coming out of the mouth of a Burqueño. Our screen names notwithstanding :-)
Haha, I don't think I've ever said it out loud, but I am hearing it more and more from other people in everyday conversation. It really only became popular to use in any form since about the mid-2000s. ABQ was certainly not unheard of, but it was uncommon to see it in written form and never used in spoken form before the last decade. I remember when I was little Alb. and Albuq. were the most popular written way of shortening the name. Alb. was uttered very seldomly as a spoken abbreviation.

For the state, N. Mex. was the most common written abbreviation until about the 1980s when the postal code NM took over.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
NYC, ATL, and MIA are other prominent examples.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:09 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
People have been saying "SD" for a long time for San Diego. If you are long-time local from San Diego, you would know that they say "PB", "OB" , and "MB" as well. PB-Pacific Beach, OB-Ocean Beach, MB-Mission Beach, these are districts and beaches in the City of San Diego, aka "SD".
I'll take your word for it--if you'll take my word for it that "the OC" sounds as weird and off to long-time locals as it would to you if people suddenly started calling your city "the SD."

Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
No city in the US can come even close to Los Angeles in being referred to by its initials: LA. No place is in the same league.

Now what I'm taking about here is spoken language, so to me that would probably eliminate NY for it is written, not spoken. DC is commonly used for Washington, but it is not the city's initials. And NOLA is not only not New Orleans' initials, it is pronounced "Nola"

So given LA's unquestionable, undisputed status as the #1 city referred to by its initials, what would be others that would follow.

Sort of think of it this way:
1. Los Angeles
etc.
Actually I have always thought LA meant Lower Alabama.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
From my perspective, NYC may be #1 over LA. It's at least debatable. After those two, DC should count and would be third in my book.

OKC and KC would be other notables.

I have heard SF by a handful of people. But don't think it's ubiquitous. Also have heard DFW and MSP but no clue if that was unusual or not.
If DC counts, then it is at least number 2 in this ranking...a very strong argument could be made for it being number 1 outright even though LA admittedly has a very strong case as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.