Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 453 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first post but i know a few other forums on this site has helped me so i decided to post. All the post that i have read seem to be before 2010 so perhaps i can get more updated info.

My girlfriend and I are in are 20's and pretty much both born and raised in SD. We want to be able to live comfortably. So we are heavily debating on moving out of the state and step out of our comfort zone. We both have family here so it is a big decision. I have family in AZ which they love it. And a family member is moving to NE due to living cost here.
I have really looked in CO as it is from what i can tell the most well-rounded place. Affordable, Scenic, A little bit of city with Nature.
And i am trying to see if someone has experienced moving or making a big decision like that and what they experience. Pros/Cons of the locations. We may want to rent or buy. But we will decide that later.
This decision will not be immediate. But i am hoping by next year if so. What i was thinking worst case, we can move back to SD.

Please help with any info or advice you guys have. details help.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Colorado compared to San Diego may seem "affordable", but most of the state is still a good bit above the national average in terms of the cost of living. The Phoenix area is getting the same way. Omaha, NE is very affordable and one of the best medium sized metros in the nation. It doesn't have the sunny, hot weather of Arizona or the vast outdoors of Colorado, but you just need to weigh everything and come up with what you want more. Colorado Springs and Pueblo are more affordable than places like Denver and Ft. Collins/Loveland. That could be an option. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I'd vote against Colorado. Been there, tried that, moving on. It's increasingly expensive and the place where everyone wants to go. People battle over jobs, take pay cuts, whatever, just to live here. People overpay for houses, and do bidding wars, just to be here. It's really stupid. It's more hype than anything else. It doesn't live up to the image. Many who aren't rich and/or will never catch up to the competition are moving out. The writing is on the wall, as they say. Not worth the trouble.

Compared to the lush beauty of San Diego, and nice moderate temperatures throughout the year, CO is often very cold. I'm not sure how used to temperature swings you are, but any dry area will fluctuate widely.

I'm sure NE is less hassle, and more affordable and stable. Not sure about AZ, though it and CO will have a sparse and moisture-starved look (desert and/or near-desert environment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.