Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 AM

9,339 posts, read 9,197,273 times

Advertisements

Larger cities, transient cities, cities with a large gay population.

NYC, LA, San Fran and Miami would be the obvious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
As I thought, someone has done this with OKCupid data analytics. I can't find the original source article, but here's a summary from CBS.

10. Houston
9. San Diego
8. Denver
7. San Bernardino
6. Dallas
5. San Francisco
4. Miami
3. Pittsburgh
2. Seattle
1. Portland

I'm surprised Pittsburgh is on the list (I did better when I was single here than I did elsewhere, but not that much better). Still, I'm not surprised in general that the Sun Belt/West is more into casual sex than the East. It's hard to meet people under any circumstances in east coast cities, let alone bone them.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,952,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Perhaps the gay community penchant towards "open relationships " is due simply to the fact that until recently they could not get legally married. Therefore permenamt attachments or bonds are/were fewer.
I think it's more likely the natural state of humans when you strip away victorian customs that the heterosexual population are forced to adhere to, for fear of alienating potential dates.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I think it's more likely the natural state of humans when you strip away victorian customs that the heterosexual population are forced to adhere to, for fear of alienating potential dates.
Most studies have found that the "default state" of humans across cultures is serial monogamy. Sexual passion in long-term relationships typically only last a few years - coincidentally about the time it takes to get pregnant and raise a small child to the point it doesn't need constant care. People could then move on to someone new if they had better options. Although in traditional cultures were serial monogamy is common, eventually older people do "settle down" into a relationship that lasts the rest of their life (basically, once their child-rearing days are over).

My limited experience with polyamory when I was younger convinced me that it wasn't for me. I don't even know if I could feel "in love" with two people at the same time. Either way, it's sort of the worst of both worlds, as you need to continually worry about dating new people and maintaining a LTR. Too much drama too, although that just might be the people attracted to poly.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.