Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,284 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

We are currently looking to relocate outside of California and would love to hear y'alls suggestions. Currently we live in a small horse community, conservative for the most part, we have horse trails instead of sidewalks, we have red, white, and blue striping down our streets and for the most part everybody gets along. It all sounds great right? Well it is minus the fact its located in California. The laws and COL have really gotten out of hand and I don't foresee it getting any better. So with that being said we are looking for the following and would love if y'all had any suggestions:

10 acre minimum
Hobby farming allowed (we raise all of our own meat)
Community events (parades, fair, BBQ)
Good school district (as we have two in high school)
Fishing nearby
Hunting nearby
Public land (we are avid campers and off-roaders)
Withing 30 min to a hospital
Budget of $400,000
Employment opportunities is not a determining factor as we work from home and kids will be off to college i'm sure somewhere else

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Are you in Norco? I love the place myself, but I hear you about all the other things. Will be watching to see what people recommend.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,284 times
Hi yes. I am born and raised. But like many other things, it's just not like it use to be

Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,714 times
Hillsville, VA / nearby Roanoke or Virginia nearby NC cities. But Hillsville is excellent.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFarmMom View Post
Hi yes. I am born and raised. But like many other things, it's just not like it use to be
I went to Norco Elementary, Norco Intermediate School, and RCC-Norco.

Anyhow, you can find what you describe in rural areas all over the west. Look away from the cities (even far Northern CA would work, in theory). Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, parts of Colorado (but $$$), and on and on.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:

10 acre minimum
Fishing nearby
Hunting nearby
Budget of $400,000
Employment opportunities is not a determining factor as we work from home and kids will be off to college i'm sure somewhere else

The school district criteria is the hard part since most rural areas aren't known for quality schools. Here's a couple of options in SW Georgia that fit the rest of your criteria if a score of 6 out of 10 is sufficient for school quality.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=GA633576978

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M57180-97901

Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

We are currently looking to relocate outside of California and would love to hear y'alls suggestions. Currently we live in a small horse community, conservative for the most part, we have horse trails instead of sidewalks, we have red, white, and blue striping down our streets and for the most part everybody gets along. It all sounds great right? Well it is minus the fact its located in California. The laws and COL have really gotten out of hand and I don't foresee it getting any better. So with that being said we are looking for the following and would love if y'all had any suggestions:

10 acre minimum
Fishing nearby
Hunting nearby
Budget of $400,000

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
So.Indiana/Kentucky

Super affordable. Farming is part of life and all around. Tons of parks, public land, lakes, etc... Also, Kentucky is horse country for a reason. Nothing like rolling green hills and horses grazing everywhere

If you want “in depth” suggestions on areas to look, feel free to message me

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
So.Indiana/Kentucky

Super affordable. Farming is part of life and all around. Tons of parks, public land, lakes, etc... Also, Kentucky is horse country for a reason. Nothing like rolling green hills and horses grazing everywhere

If you want “in depth” suggestions on areas to look, feel free to message me
Not really that fit anyway. I was surprised at the lack of anything in the under 400K price bracket with 10+ acres in places like Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. Kentucky does have quite a bit in that price range but near as I could tell schools are at best score a 5 out of 10 in those areas, and since the OP is looking for "good schools" wouldn't consider that a match.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not really that fit anyway. I was surprised at the lack of anything in the under 400K price bracket with 10+ acres in places like Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. Kentucky does have quite a bit in that price range but near as I could tell schools are at best score a 5 out of 10 in those areas, and since the OP is looking for "good schools" wouldn't consider that a match.
You have to look at the right time to find the “wants” they’re needing.

Floyds Knobs, IN has great schools, and it’s not uncommon to find 5-10 acres with a decent home for $300K. Same goes for areas like Corydon, Lanesville, Sellersburg, Memphis, etc... (all in So.Indiana).

My brother-in-law actually just bought a very nice home on 7 acres in Lanesville, for around $240K. You just have to get lucky and look at the right time

Old 01-14-2018, 01:12 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Towns surrounding Greenville SC are perfect https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/ab.../nearby-towns/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.