Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

I don’t think there are a lot of cities were downtown or the CBD offers one of the better residential living experiences. Many downtowns are becoming more residential, but they still don’t match up with the premier urban neighborhoods. What cities can/should count downtown as their premier residential neighborhoods. For the sake of discussion, let’s try to place reasonable limits on what we call downtown. I don’t want this to devolve into another discussion where someone tries to claim that all of Manhattan or Northwest DC is “downtown”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
I think downtown Raleigh would be a nice place to live. Since it's a downtown where most people commute into for work during the day, it's pretty quiet at night. Plus you get all the amenities of urban living. Too bad there's not a Target or something in the immediate vicinity.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
How Convenient is Downtown Syracuse Living?

Downtown Syracuse living in hot demand | WRVO Public Media

https://armorysquareapartments.com

https://www.downtownsyracuse.com/dow...-tour-program/

https://downtownsyracuse.com

Could use a department store and full service grocery store, but there is one within a mile to the west(Aldi). There is a bus that goes here in terms of shopping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_USA

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-17-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 AM

20 posts, read 30,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I think downtown Raleigh would be a nice place to live. Since it's a downtown where most people commute into for work during the day, it's pretty quiet at night. Plus you get all the amenities of urban living. Too bad there's not a Target or something in the immediate vicinity.
Yeah I live in downtown Raleigh, it really is fantastic and will be even better once the publix at Glenwood south is finished. A grocery store is really all that is missing and downtown hasn't become too crowded with residents yet. I can walk everywhere and the Restaurant scene is really improving.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital92 View Post
Yeah I live in downtown Raleigh, it really is fantastic and will be even better once the publix at Glenwood south is finished. A grocery store is really all that is missing and downtown hasn't become too crowded with residents yet. I can walk everywhere and the Restaurant scene is really improving.
Does Raleigh have other walkable neighborhoods with amenities?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
If I had to live anywhere in St. Petersburg, FL, it would be in their cool downtown.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital92 View Post
Ah, nice! Yeah that's not a bad location for the Publix. I love that part of town where the Redhat tower is. Oak City Meatballs, Buku, Treat. All great places to eat. I have to try that Mexican place on the corner too. Actually, now that I think about it, I think there's two Mexican places across from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The area around the college is somewhat walkable. There's a lot of restaurants along Hillsborough. Also a new Target over there. It's a decent neighborhood for sure if you don't mind being around the college kids.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 30,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Yeah id say for a Southern City most neighborhoods inside the Beltline are pretty walkable, but everywhere else is car oriented.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Chicago's downtown has quickly shot towards the top of the most desirable areas and is certainly the fastest growing, growing by around 70,000 people in the past 15 years and building around 5,000 to 6,000 new residential units and adding thousands of hotel units and amenities/tourist draws every year.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago's downtown has quickly shot towards the top of the most desirable areas and is certainly the fastest growing, growing by around 70,000 people in the past 15 years and building around 5,000 to 6,000 new residential units and adding thousands of hotel units and amenities/tourist draws every year.
I'm genuinely curious as to what the turnover is like. I know it's anecdotal, but when I lived in Chicago (with the exception of South Loop), no one I knew stayed downtown for more than 1-2 years. They either left Chicago or moved to a more traditional residential neighborhood. I'd rather live in the Loop or River North than, say, Midtown Manhattan, but there are nearly a dozen Chicago neighborhoods I'd choose before downtown. I don't want to live in a place that's overrun by tourists and commuters, and I like having actual local businesses in the neighborhood. I know it's going to sound strange, but living downtown doesn't feel like Chicago living, the same way that Old Town, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square etc would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.