Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:26 PM

375 posts, read 331,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
As we all know a lot of people from other cities and states are moving to other parts of the country. I know a lot of you may heard, "Why did you move here?" or "It must've been bad where you use to live that's why you moved here." Is it a negative for cities to have a strong local culture? Is better to have a lot transplants to occupy a city? Do expats speak louder for cities than longtime residents?
Yes, especially recent Expats (<3 years).

They fall into two categories:

1)Relocated because they wanted to, it was their dream destination. This type of expat tend to be young, and/or young professionals. And tend to incessantly praise their newfound home in, what should be, humiliating gushing fashion.

2)Relocated because of career/work, never really wanted to come to said destination but ended up doing so for pragmatic reasons. This type of expat tends to be more muted, but if they say anything exaggerated, it's often negative. They can be constant complainers, complaining how their old home was doing everything better.

After about 3 years, both types of expats mellow out. Type 1 realizes their newfound home ain't heaven, and type 2 realizes it ain't hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 05:20 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I think maybe younger residents of a large city are more likely to have moved there recently, and younger people are louder than older people - and maybe people who move to a city of their dreams tend to be more extraverted. But I doubt that the act of moving makes people more vocal or outgoing.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:27 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
As we all know a lot of people from other cities and states are moving to other parts of the country. I know a lot of you may heard, "Why did you move here?" or "It must've been bad where you use to live that's why you moved here." Is it a negative for cities to have a strong local culture? Is better to have a lot transplants to occupy a city? Do expats speak louder for cities than longtime residents?
I think it's very negative if there are not many transplants in a city or state. That causes an inbred, insulated, and often ignorant attitude. I saw it in Wyoming and Montana. Wyoming was severe. Lots of transplNts went there for work and got shunned by locals. Most didn't stay long.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think it's very negative if there are not many transplants in a city or state. That causes an inbred, insulated, and often ignorant attitude. I saw it in Wyoming and Montana. Wyoming was severe. Lots of transplNts went there for work and got shunned by locals. Most didn't stay long.
Good comment. New people viewing their city with a positive perspective is good PR for a city. It helps overcome negative stereotyping and puts the city in a new light for others to see.

I used to live in Portland, Or. When I first moved there back in the 70’s there were some negative slogans people used to say about it. Those are long gone since it’s become a popular relocation destination. Only the old timers remember them.

So yes, absolutely, if newcomers are raising their voices a little to praise their new cities that’s a good thing.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Good comment. New people viewing their city with a positive perspective is good PR for a city. It helps overcome negative stereotyping and puts the city in a new light for others to see.

I used to live in Portland, Or. When I first moved there back in the 70’s there were some negative slogans people used to say about it. Those are long gone since it’s become a popular relocation destination. Only the old timers remember them.

So yes, absolutely, if newcomers are raising their voices a little to praise their new cities that’s a good thing.
I say it's 50/50. Yes, new people moving into a city it's great PR. But, on the flip side when too many people move into a city, it loses it's identity and becomes a city of transplants or transients with no sense of community or connection. You even said that about Portland (correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't think you understood what is meant by "speak loudly" in this context lol.
What? What did you just say?

Sorry.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hate the shunning. I never talked up the place I'd moved from. Never said a bad word about the place I'd moved to. Even though I feed humming birds, grow tomatoes, like camping, love and hate NYC, I just tried to blend in. Sometimes it just doesn't work. They don't want or like you.

Mom, they don't like me. I don't have any friends.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I hate the shunning. I never talked up the place I'd moved from. Never said a bad word about the place I'd moved to. Even though I feed humming birds, grow tomatoes, like camping, love and hate NYC, I just tried to blend in. Sometimes it just doesn't work. They don't want or like you.

What are you talking about?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Good one! k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.