Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil badlley View Post
forget the snow belt, it ain't happenin'...it's Atlanta, where they can suck top notch, close talent from the Raleigh area, with low relocation expenses
Not any more. Bezos is liberal. It's going to DC.

http://www.nola.com/national_politic...a_georgia.html

Last edited by cBach; 03-01-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Not any more. Bezos is liberal. It's going to DC.
This has already been addressed in the Atlanta forum. Conventional wisdom suggests he is a Libertarian.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9faeec52d2b1

Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Anyone who would like to discuss the Georgia state legislature and its relationship with Delta Air Lines is welcomed to do so in the Atlanta forum, where a thread is already dedicated to that topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ra-angers.html

Please do not discuss that topic in this thread. Thank you.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-01-2018, 09:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
On 2/23 I predicted a top 10 list was coming. Here is my projection: (listed alphabetically)

Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
D.C.
New York City
Northern Virginia
Philadelphia
South Maryland

My favorites continue to be, as they have since the beginning, Austin, Northern Virginia, and Dallas. This decision is getting close, though a top10 is not absolutely going to happen. We could here the winner without any further narrowing down.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-01-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
The type of housing supply that is easy to add in atl and places down south is not the housing stock that amazon tech bros want
Oh, really? You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You can't possibly be referring to the thousands of urban units that have been delivered in the core over the last few years, with more in the pipeline. This is already a big tech center, and thanks to Georgia Tech and our deep labor pool it's just feeding on itself at this point.

While there are some office and hotel projects included in the mix, perhaps these links will give you a clue as to how absolutely wrong you are regarding our 'non-tech bro housing stock.'

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...ivity-maps.pdf

New Development « Livable Buckhead

These 26 projects will radically transform Memorial Drive - Atlanta Magazine

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...ce-city-market

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/12/1...0-ralph-mcgill

I doubt you will check any of this out, but collectively they blow your false claim out of the water.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 AM

453 posts, read 317,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh, really? You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You can't possibly be referring to the thousands of urban units that have been delivered in the core over the last few years, with more in the pipeline. This is already a big tech center, and thanks to Georgia Tech and our deep labor pool it's just feeding on itself at this point.

While there are some office and hotel projects included in the mix, perhaps these links will give you a clue as to how absolutely wrong you are regarding our 'non-tech bro housing stock.'

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...ivity-maps.pdf

New Development « Livable Buckhead

These 26 projects will radically transform Memorial Drive - Atlanta Magazine

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...ce-city-market

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/12/1...0-ralph-mcgill

I doubt you will check any of this out, but collectively they blow your false claim out of the water.
The Dark horse here is actually Newark, is like being in NYC, without being in NYC.
They will have access to everything NYC has to offer without the high housing cost and taxes.
They will have the best human resources of any city and amazon already employs 2000 people in NYC.
Newark offered the best package deal, almost 7 billion in tax exceptions.
The greater NYC area has the largest number of tech workers in the country, some of the best universities.

choosing Newark they will get the best of everything.

newark is a large port, and has a very large airport too.
commuting from downtown Newark to the World trade center is about 25 minutes in a single train.

Last edited by upthere22; 03-02-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 11:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
The Dark horse here is actually Newark, is like being in NYC, without being in NYC.
They will have access to everything NYC has to offer without the high housing cost and taxes.
They will have the best human resources of any city and amazon already employs 2000 people in NYC.
The greater NYC area has the largest number of tech workers in the country, some of the best universities.

commuting from downtown Newark to the World trace center is about 25 minutes in a single train.
Yeah, I agree. It's almost certainly not going to Atlanta.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post

commuting from downtown Newark to the World trace center is about 25 minutes in a single train.
I like the idea of Newark getting it, as I think it's exciting to watch a city re-invent itself. I also think you did a good job here of identifying its strengths, though I would add that it has good bones and the potential to be a great community.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, I agree. It's almost certainly not going to Atlanta.
I would postulate that anyone who believes this is letting their inherent biases cloud their reason.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I like the idea of Newark getting it, as I think it's exciting to watch a city re-invent itself. I also think you did a good job here of identifying its strengths, though I would add that it has good bones and the potential to be a great community.
It would be extremely fascinating to watch the city undergo such a dramatic transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.