Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'll gladly take a couple of 'cray cray' Legislators that get shut down by the public and Corporations over the dysfunctional mess that is Illinois.

At least our last four Governors weren't sentenced to prison for corruption.
Former Gov. Walker went to jail for crimes unrelated to his governorship, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:43 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
The most recent one was prosecuted by the Feds, not the corrupt State of Illinois.

The Feds also recently busted a Senator for being a lifelong pedophile that paid hush money to his victims for decades.

Our past Governors also don't trade in selling Senate seats. There is absolutely nothing going on here that even approaches this level of corruption.

Georgia isn't teetering on the edge of insolvency due to massive unmet pension obligations, isn't crushing its citizens under increasingly massive taxes or losing tens of thousands residents per year.

You might want to reconsider your stance here.
Not that this is germane to the question at hand, but I'll maintain my stance, as Georgia is no stranger to extreme political corruption (governors or otherwise)

(Georgia ranks as 3rd most politically corrupt state in U.S. - CBS46 News)
(https://www.publicintegrity.org/2012...-score-country)
(Comment: Gov. Nathan Deal and the Longest Corruption Scandal in Georgia History | Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants)

and has its own problems with unmet pension obligations (as does basically every state in the country).

(https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...GPVtdvswh9SbO/)
(https://graphics.wsj.com/table/Connecticut_102015)

The point is, of course, no state is immune to corruption or financial woes (and obviously Illinois has major problems in both of these realms). But relating to the topic at hand, the quibbles with Delta, the NRA, and the Lt. Gov. are exceedingly unlikely to be *helping* Atlanta's chance in landing HQ2.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It is Not going (or gking) to Denver. Mark my words on this.
Why so sure? I’m goung to laugh when amazon chooses Denver. Our quality of life outshines most of the cities on this list

Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It's absurd to believe that Atlanta is no longer in the running. Do those of you who believe that think that this is the first time an uber conservative dust up like this has happened in Georgia? Furthermore, Indiana and North Carolina have gone even further off the rails than Georgia in the recent past. North Carolina's state legislature is about as much of a joke as Georgia's. But they're all still in the game. Jeff Bezos and Amazon aren't dumbasses. They know these states have these kinds of issues. They also know that these states have well earned reputations as good places to do business and can overlook the noise. And Atlanta is not Georgia. None of these legislators are from Atlanta. They're from the hinterlands. Do you think Seattle wants to be judged by what some yokel from Spokane says?
Georgia punished Delta for its stance on the NRA. Amazon, or any other company with a conscience, is going to look twice before moving to Georgia lest it be punished as well for its liberal and/or humane policies, especially if they were promised incentives that could suddenly "disappear". Your argument above is totally meritless; this is a state issue, and not a "Decatur" or "Virginia Highlands" issue. Bezos would be, as you say, a "dumbass" to trust his millenial employees to the whims of a backwards state which, like Indiana and North Carolina, are indeed off the rails compared to the rest of the country. Wake up.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:40 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I would postulate that anyone who believes this is letting their inherent biases cloud their reason.
Quote:
And you know this how? Lunch with Bezos today did we?
Lol well I like Atlanta a lot and I have them in my personal top 3, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this statement.
Quote:
It's almost certainly not going to Atlanta
Bovada currently has their odds at +550 which gives an implied probability of just over 15%. When you factor the house's cut that means their line puts Atlanta at about a 10% chance of winning. So, 90% likely, according to Bovada, that Atlanta does not get HQ2. I think 90% is in the realm of "almost certain." If you strongly disagree with that, then perhaps you should place a bet cause the odds are in your favor.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Why so sure? I’m goung to laugh when amazon chooses Denver. Our quality of life outshines most of the cities on this list
I usually try to substantiate my views, but on this one I was on a short time scale. To answer your question, I do not believe AMZN wants to set up a 2nd HQ in another western location. And Denver is so similar to Seattle in many ways, not to even mention geographically, it, in my mind has little chance. There are less important issues...mostly revolving around a state income tax, which Colorado has. While Denver does indeed have great airport connections, it isn't user-friendly to those who actually live in Denver. Perhaps better public transport will be changing this soon. Bottom line, Denver is too friggin' close to Seattle. This is why Portland and the CA Bay area never had a chance. IMO, AMZN is looking for a nice balance to Seattle, and that in my mind means either Texas, Georgia, or the DC area.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Lol well I like Atlanta a lot and I have them in my personal top 3, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this statement. Bovada currently has their odds at +550 which gives an implied probability of just over 15%. When you factor the house's cut that means their line puts Atlanta at about a 10% chance of winning. So, 90% likely, according to Bovada, that Atlanta does not get HQ2. I think 90% is in the realm of "almost certain." If you strongly disagree with that, then perhaps you should place a bet cause the odds are in your favor.
Just noticed Atlanta has slipped even further to +600. So now is the time to get in if you like Atlanta!!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I usually try to substantiate my views, but on this one I was on a short time scale. To answer your question, I do not believe AMZN wants to set up a 2nd HQ in another western location. And Denver is so similar to Seattle in many ways, not to even mention geographically, it, in my mind has little chance. There are less important issues...mostly revolving around a state income tax, which Colorado has. While Denver does indeed have great airport connections, it isn't user-friendly to those who actually live in Denver. Perhaps better public transport will be changing this soon. Bottom line, Denver is too friggin' close to Seattle. This is why Portland and the CA Bay area never had a chance. IMO, AMZN is looking for a nice balance to Seattle, and that in my mind means either Texas, Georgia, or the DC area.
What do you mean the Denver airport isn't user-friendly to those who actually live in Denver? It's far from the city center, but otherwise, it's "user-friendly". There is public transit both light rail and bus available throughout the RTD. (Light rail only from the city to the airport, buses from everywhere.)
http://www.rtd-denver.com/airport.shtml
And too close to Seattle? It's 1300 miles! The complaint about Atlanta is that it's too far, too long a flight, etc. I don't think Denver is going to get it; the governor doesn't want it, 52% of the people here don't want it; I don't particularly want it. But that's not factual.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

I heard early on from someone with pretty good intel in the real estate business that Dallas was the front runner even before the bid, I also heard that the biggest draw back was they now prefer the eastern time zone for some business reasons and better European (especially British synergies on time)

I think the front runners are DFW, Atlanta, and DC

but like us all not sure any of us really know

Denver IMHO has two issues, time zone and size - think they want at a minimum a 6million plus metro

DC has the largest regional draw with many folks close by not even in the metro

All that said Philly hits a lot criteria as does Chicago but again one time zone off potentially though if DFW can get it why not Chicago in that sense

But I may be totally off and Indy gets it...

Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Why not just wait till Amazon decides and avoid the anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.