Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Illinois' location in the Central Time Zone is more of an issue. Otherwise, it would easily be a top 3 contender.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't even understand why Central time would be such a factor. One hour is such a minor difference b/t it and Eastern time, and it obviously hasn't hurt Illinois/Chicago given that it has so many F500s and many N. American HQs located there. I mean, if Central time were such a killer, then Austin should be wiped off the radar.
I do think that Amazon prefers HQ2 to be in the Eastern Time Zone. With the plethora of options in states along the Eastern seaboard, I think one of them will win out.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yet Chicagoland is the #1 top location for corporate relocation and investment for the fifth year in a row...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...cation-target/
As a rare Chicagoan on this thread (DavePA is an honorary who does a good job) don't waste your time with this crowd. As the top corporate relocation and investment city for the 5th year in a row, that alone should say something about the concern relocating companies have over the pension deficit, and Amazon's perceived concern about it. As far as the Central Time Zone, Boeing relocated here from Seattle specifically looking for a time zone closer to Europe yet only two hours from Seattle, with a large airport. Their company and stock have soared since moving here. Chicago is a certified world class city full of museums, world class dining, suburban and urban rail, and in the midst of a building boom. It has 55 million tourists a year, setting records each year, and was Time Out Magazine's World's Best City and Conde Nast's Reader's Choice Award best large city. It is the third largest metro in the U.S., and the financial and transportation capital of mid-America.

Now there is an agreement to enlarge O'Hare to the tune of $8.5 billion dollars and enlarge it by 60%. People here are hopeful because crime is dropping and our choices for future elected officials looks good on a statewide level.

I have no idea who will land HQ2. but I can say that Chicago, with 10 great sites, great infrastructure, a competitive package, universities that are tops in engineering such as the University of Illinois and other Big 10 feeder schools make Chicago a great pick. On top of that, the politics here are in conformity with the politics of Amazon.

Chicago gets alot of hate on this thread, and is drowned out by posters of smaller cities who boost for the sake of boosting without facts to back them up. Just a post for old Chicago, since so many here would rather just see where the chips fall and let Amazon decide, not the CD boosters.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I think Illinois' location in the Central Time Zone is more of an issue. Otherwise, it would easily be a top 3 contender.
Quote:
I do think that Amazon prefers HQ2 to be in the Eastern Time Zone. With the plethora of options in states along the Eastern seaboard, I think one of them will win out.
I didn't think that was one of their criteria. Seattle is in the Pacific Zone.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:56 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
As a rare Chicagoan on this thread (DavePA is an honorary who does a good job) don't waste your time with this crowd. As the top corporate relocation and investment city for the 5th year in a row, that alone should say something about the concern relocating companies have over the pension deficit, and Amazon's perceived concern about it. As far as the Central Time Zone, Boeing relocated here from Seattle specifically looking for a time zone closer to Europe yet only two hours from Seattle, with a large airport. Their company and stock have soared since moving here. Chicago is a certified world class city full of museums, world class dining, suburban and urban rail, and in the midst of a building boom. It has 55 million tourists a year, setting records each year, and was Time Out Magazine's World's Best City and Conde Nast's Reader's Choice Award best large city. It is the third largest metro in the U.S., and the financial and transportation capital of mid-America.

Now there is an agreement to enlarge O'Hare to the tune of $8.5 billion dollars and enlarge it by 60%. People here are hopeful because crime is dropping and our choices for future elected officials looks good on a statewide level.

I have no idea who will land HQ2. but I can say that Chicago, with 10 great sites, great infrastructure, a competitive package, universities that are tops in engineering such as the University of Illinois and other Big 10 feeder schools make Chicago a great pick. On top of that, the politics here are in conformity with the politics of Amazon.

Chicago gets alot of hate on this thread, and is drowned out by posters of smaller cities who boost for the sake of boosting without facts to back them up. Just a post for old Chicago, since so many here would rather just see where the chips fall and let Amazon decide, not the CD boosters.
Not a Chicagoan, but to me it is handily top 5. Some people are just jealous.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It would be very odd if the known, initial criteria were the only factors. This isn't a public-agency bid opening. They can do anything, bound only by contract and law. They even spelled that out if I recall, in case someone didn't get it.

What would be the purpose of specifying a preferred time zone, unless the goal was to discourage or disqualify much of the continent? Would it improve anyone's response?

The truth is we don't know except the clues in the RFP. Time zone, urban/suburban, Seattle twin vs. opposite, big city or small, none of that is known. Even the shortlist of 20 doesn't clear that up. For that reason, none of the options should surprise anyone if they win.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

This is a great post, and spot on.

To set the record straight, I absolutely LOVE Chicago. I could live there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the Winter, I just can't handle the cold. I spent my childhood in Cleveland, but just can't handle it at this point in my life.

To set the record straight, I am pushing back due to several very specific posters that are also on another site I frequent. They are nasty here, but they are downright vicious over there towards Atlanta as there is hardly any mod oversight. That is definitely coloring my responses to certain posters.

I do apologize to the decent, civilized Chicagoan's here that aren't filled with hate for a city in their own damn Country that regularly takes crap constantly from these arrogant jerks.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:07 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBurnsey View Post
Agreed on the Top 5 but I don't really see Chicago offering anything unique or spectacular over other competing cities to make up for its drawbacks (mainly crime and politics).
Well then you don't really know Chicago. Chicago's Lincoln Yards site is within the top 3 best sites offered by any of the cities, IMO.

Chicago has an amazing culture, food scene, vibrancy, urbanity, and diversity. It has characteristics few other cities in the country possess.

I disagree with the posters who think it's all about city neighborhoods, which Chicago offers in spades. I know many Amazon workers, and many of them have families and live in Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, and other suburbs. And many live in the city.

Chicago has some amazing suburbs and amazing city neighborhoods. It's an equal balance.

The crime is mischaracterized and anyone with half a brain can tell that it would have no effect on Amazon workers. The politics/financial situation is somewhat of an issue, but not, IMO a deal breaker.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well then you don't really know Chicago. Chicago's Lincoln Yards site is within the top 3 best sites offered by any of the cities, IMO.

Chicago has an amazing culture, food scene, vibrancy, urbanity, and diversity. It has characteristics few other cities in the country possess.

I disagree with the posters who think it's all about city neighborhoods, which Chicago offers in spades. I know many Amazon workers, and many of them have families and live in Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, and other suburbs. And many live in the city.

Chicago has some amazing suburbs and amazing city neighborhoods. It's an equal balance.

The crime is mischaracterized and anyone with half a brain can tell that it would have no effect on Amazon workers. The politics/financial situation is somewhat of an issue, but not, IMO a deal breaker.
I wish I could give you another rep point, but this thing won't let me, and this was said perfectly. To the poster that said that Chicago doesn't offer anything special to make up for its faults, I agree, they don't have a clue about Chicago. I am a California transplant, and thought the weather would be my downfall here, but it turns out, it is much better than when I lived and went to school on the east coast, and the vibrancy and uniquely special attributes here make this place more than livable. On CD, Chicago takes a hit, and perhaps that is true nationally. My experience is that it has so many cool things going on, whether being a great sports town, being able to get from the suburbs and explore the city without a car, being affordable compared to so many overpriced overheated cities, having some unbelievably beautiful suburbs which most on CD pass over for flyover, having people here proud to be from here, having so many bar and restaurant choices, having a true Christmas scene with Chicago tradition, you name it.

Chicago is totally livable, and totally unique. Amazon would be lucky to land at the Lincoln Yards site, for it to be available for this "competition" is lucky for that company and for Chicago-perfect location, perfect planning. Between the building boom and now an enormous O'Hare expansion, this place will only get better. I am sure Bluefox, that as a Seattle resident, you realize that Amazon workers would have no problem adjusting to this city.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No it wasn't one of Amazon's stated criteria but I think it's a preference. And of course Seattle is in the Pacific Time Zone so I'm not sure why you stated that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.