Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times

Advertisements

Boston has already been guaranteed about 2,000 new Amazon jobs, in a lesser move, so I don't think it will get the big prize.

I am hoping that Chicago gets it----would be great news for the Windy City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 03:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Boston has already been guaranteed about 2,000 new Amazon jobs, in a lesser move, so I don't think it will get the big prize.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Boston is a sleeper herel

Old 03-18-2018, 03:27 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
I'd like to understand that logic. Why would that smaller lease preclude getting the big one?

Boston, Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, and others seem to have decent shots at factors I'm guessing are important...I'm guessing they'll go to an urban core, and want a relatively cohesive district where growth on their scale has already gone through the major hurdles. Chicago and Philly might be the most compelling...they have sites that would be amidst great urbanity on day one.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 PM

29 posts, read 25,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Fort Worth's national reputation, even though it is a large city in a dynamic region is Meh. It does have the leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere. The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government, but not much else except for a place for overflow growth from Dallas.

"leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere"

Have you lived, worked or visited Fort Worth lately?
I have. Downtown Fort Worth is not empty.

You should visit Fort Worth. I have provided a link with some useful information.
https://www.lifestorage.com/blog/mov...to-fort-worth/

Meaningless information:
Jeff Bezos's brother, Mark, graduated from TCU.
Jeff's sister lives in Fort Worth.
Fort Worth has a major airport serving 67,092,224 passengers.
Fort Worth is planning, with Dallas, a bullet train.
Fort Worth may have flying taxis(if Uber does not sink).

Have you heard of Alliance? It is a major logistics hub.
https://www.alliancetexas.com/

Sure, "The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government"
okay.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,335,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
"leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere"

Have you lived, worked or visited Fort Worth lately?
I have. Downtown Fort Worth is not empty.

You should visit Fort Worth. I have provided a link with some useful information.
https://www.lifestorage.com/blog/mov...to-fort-worth/

Meaningless information:
Jeff Bezos's brother, Mark, graduated from TCU.
Jeff's sister lives in Fort Worth.
Fort Worth has a major airport serving 67,092,224 passengers.
Fort Worth is planning, with Dallas, a bullet train.
Fort Worth may have flying taxis(if Uber does not sink).

Have you heard of Alliance? It is a major logistics hub.
https://www.alliancetexas.com/

Sure, "The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government"
okay.
Thanks for the education and the interesting link! I have visited once, and my co-worker just came back from a trip, so my education is a little light. Never post on a subject you are light on.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,596,110 times
Media pundits (not all, a few) like Crain's Chicago already throwing in towel on Chicago's chances. The business environment in Chicago is tainted by the discord in Springfield. I'd be very surprised if Chicago were selected, not because they wouldn't be a great choice (It would be) but because of the idiot politicians that run this state (into the ground).

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Media pundits (not all, a few) like Crain's Chicago already throwing in towel on Chicago's chances. The business environment in Chicago is tainted by the discord in Springfield. I'd be very surprised if Chicago were selected, not because they wouldn't be a great choice (It would be) but because of the idiot politicians that run this state (into the ground).
But these are (chiefly) Chicago-area politicians who have run the state into the ground. If Chicago wants someone to blame, it needs only to find a mirror...

Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM

5,425 posts, read 5,650,020 times
Quote:

It would also be nice if Newark got it.

Chicago, Philly, and Newark would benefit the most from this.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM

760 posts, read 874,924 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. If anything, it shows that Boston has the top talent Amazon is seeking.

I lost the numbers, but there was a good breakdown of the current headcount/offices of the 20 cities in the running. Id say current Amazon presence is going to be a key clue to the winning city. I think Boston, Atlanta, and Austin were at the top, with Indianapolis and Denver at the bottom.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,268,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Not necessarily. If anything, it shows that Boston has the top talent Amazon is seeking.

I lost the numbers, but there was a good breakdown of the current headcount/offices of the 20 cities in the running. Id say current Amazon presence is going to be a key clue to the winning city. I think Boston, Atlanta, and Austin were at the top, with Indianapolis and Denver at the bottom.

Hmm. I would be interested to see the #'s.

I would say Pittsburgh has the highest per capita of tech talent of ALL the cities in the running. Amazon has been investing in Pittsburgh for years, specifically in robotics.

Pittsburgh has major offices for : Uber. Facebook. Google. Amazon. Apple.

Pittsburgh tech economy is over $20 Billion.

A pretty large slice for a metro of around 2.35 M.

CMU. Outranks MIT in Robotics.

Not discounting Boston. Clearly it is an education leader. But in terms of Pittsburgh's size, it is honestly the tech powerhouse of the group. Austin is sizable. But in terms of advanced tech CMU outperforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.