Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
"leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere"

Have you lived, worked or visited Fort Worth lately?
I have. Downtown Fort Worth is not empty.

You should visit Fort Worth. I have provided a link with some useful information.
https://www.lifestorage.com/blog/mov...to-fort-worth/

Meaningless information:
Jeff Bezos's brother, Mark, graduated from TCU.
Jeff's sister lives in Fort Worth.
Fort Worth has a major airport serving 67,092,224 passengers.
Fort Worth is planning, with Dallas, a bullet train.
Fort Worth may have flying taxis(if Uber does not sink).

Have you heard of Alliance? It is a major logistics hub.
https://www.alliancetexas.com/

Sure, "The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government"
okay.
Fort Worth definitely has it's strong qualities. However, Amazon has already said they'd locate in the downtown Dallas area if they came to the Metroplex. It was in a recent DMN article about their visit to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Media pundits (not all, a few) like Crain's Chicago already throwing in towel on Chicago's chances. The business environment in Chicago is tainted by the discord in Springfield. I'd be very surprised if Chicago were selected, not because they wouldn't be a great choice (It would be) but because of the idiot politicians that run this state (into the ground).
Yes, from my sources, this is completely true. I love Chicago. I lived there in the last decade and was quite impressed with the city itself.

However, there are too many problematic issues with the State government and/or other issues that remain. But Chicago is a great city and there is a reason why it is called the "Second City". Because it is. Perhaps just not the right fit for AMZN.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why goto Canada? Shouldn't have even been under consideration, plus there's an uptick in racism in Toronto and that doesn't fly with Amazon. Toronto is just the token Canadian city.
Uptick in racism? News to me but by all means elaborate how Toronto has recently become more 'racist' than before.. Name any city on the list where there is no racism lol.. I mean there are no ghetto's in any of these cities and racial harmony and complete integration abounds except somehow Toronto and that this reason should eliminate T.O from consideration.

Perhaps a bit of thought before typing is in order. Jus sayin.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, from my sources, this is completely true. I love Chicago. I lived there in the last decade and was quite impressed with the city itself.

However, there are too many problematic issues with the State government and/or other issues that remain. But Chicago is a great city and there is a reason why it is called the "Second City". Because it is. Perhaps just not the right fit for AMZN.
I'm pretty sure Chicago rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1871 has nothing to do with the HQ2 selection process.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
If Chicago is out because of problematic state government, then shouldn't Atlanta and possibly Austin & Dallas be out as well? It's starting to seem like DC will end up with the 2nd HQ.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
If Chicago is out because of problematic state government, then shouldn't Atlanta and possibly Austin & Dallas be out as well? It's starting to seem like DC will end up with the 2nd HQ.
Texas and Georgia are fiscally sound and business friendly.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 PM

29 posts, read 25,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Fort Worth definitely has it's strong qualities. However, Amazon has already said they'd locate in the downtown Dallas area if they came to the Metroplex. It was in a recent DMN article about their visit to the area.
Very well, I will agree.

“the ones in downtown Dallas seemed to be the frontrunners”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...owntown-dallas

Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/...teractive-maps

thought this was somewhat interesting, thought maybe made sense here for VC and return context

Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Ironic? The company that perhaps was most responsible for ToysRUs demise, it looking to buy many of their brick and mortar locations, to perhaps display some of their newer products, like Echo/Alexa.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...res/ar-BBKro5a

Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

Sorry, I don't buy this for a second. As mentioned a million times before, Chicago is the number one relocation and expansion city in the U.S. for 5 Years in a row, twice as much as no. 2 Houston. Five years in a row. Why would companies such as Caterpillar, Conagra, McDonalds, etc. relocate to Chicago or expand here if it were such a bad business climate? On top of everything else, Illinois is giving them 2 billion dollars to relocate there. Bad business climate for Amazon? Hardly. Every time I hear a CD poster mention this, I can't help but think that they are not paying attention to facts, but only their own agendas.

Incomes are now rising faster in many suburban Chicago towns than the nation as a whole, according to the new Bloomberg wealthiest places list. Now 12 suburbs of Chicago are in the top 100 wealthiest, and west suburban Chicago added three new towns to the list, joining Oak Brook and Hinsdale ( no. 30 ) and having incomes in those towns rise between 4% and 15% since last year, faster than most towns on the coasts. No other area matched that this past year.

The issues that "remain" don't seem to interfere with the fact that Chicago has more cranes for skyscrapers than any town outside of Seattle, and companies are coming to Chicago, not leaving. Not the right fit for Amazon? Let them decide, and you can tell your sources that as well.

Last edited by Justabystander; 03-20-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.