Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Amazon team expected in Chicago Wednesday March 21 and Thursday March 22. Three sites will be visited with option of more. Shrouded in secrecy to details.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/19...ago-site-visit

These sites include;
- the rapidly changing "Fulton Market District",
- Sterling Bay’s "Lincoln Yards" development slated the former North Branch Industrial Corridor,
- and Related Midwest’s sprawling South Loop parcel known as "The 78".

Tours of other sites are also possible.

To those who claim Chicago and Illinois politics are killers.....

RENDERINGS of CHICAGO'S --- Under-Construction Super-Talls and just under.
Some Approved for construction to start and proposed here ...

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/16...r-architecture

- 1,186' "Vista Tower" - Under-Construction
- 1,011 "One Chicago Square" -Proposed and Approved to construct.
- 893' "One Grant Park" just shy of super-tall. The shorter of two - Under Construction.
- 836' "One Bennett Park" recently topped off construction.
- 832' Tower Approved to build. Overlooking Grant Park S Michigan Ave.
- 875' Lakeshore East sight -1 - Proposed.
- 950' Wolf Point South - 3rd and tallest -Proposed. One shorter completed and 2nd - 660' Under-Construction.
- 800' 110 N Wacker Dr. -Sight Prep Underway and will be Bank of America New Home.
- 680' 725 W Randolph- Proposed
- 1388" Tribune Tower addition - Proposed

So not so sure City vs State Politics or Pension debt is stopping much.....

Now as long as the National Economy stays good and city continues to absorb all the new apartment buildings and condos. These are merely the tallest not all by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Tall buildings will likely not persuade amazon but thanks for the Chicago update. It is worth noting that amazons new towers in Seattle are all under 550 feet, pretty low-rise in the Seattle orbit.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-20-2018 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
The three they've developed themselves are all around 520' give or take. Each has every square inch they can fit onto those blocks per Seattle's floor area ratio and height limits...those limits might be a key factor in why they need to expand elsewhere. (A fourth tower of similar height is leased space; a fifth tower of much taller height that just broke ground is also leased space.)

Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The three they've developed themselves are all around 520' give or take. Each has every square inch they can fit onto those blocks per Seattle's floor area ratio and height limits...those limits might be a key factor in why they need to expand elsewhere. (A fourth tower of similar height is leased space; a fifth tower of much taller height that just broke ground is also leased space.)
I assume the fifth tower you are referring to is Rainier Square, which I believe will be mostly leased by Amazon. This tower is tall, will become the 2nd tallest in Seattle after Columbia Center, at 849 feet.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Tall buildings will likely not persuade amazon but thanks for the Chicago update. It is worth noting that amazons new towers in Seattle are all under 550 feet, pretty low-rise in the Seattle orbit.

Agree, but the context behind Dave's reference to the construction projects was that Chicago and Illinois politics are not having a major impact on local building and development projects.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Sorry, I don't buy this for a second. As mentioned a million times before, Chicago is the number one relocation and expansion city in the U.S. for 5 Years in a row, twice as much as no. 2 Houston. Five years in a row. Why would companies such as Caterpillar, Conagra, McDonalds, etc. relocate to Chicago or expand here if it were such a bad business climate? On top of everything else, Illinois is giving them 2 billion dollars to relocate there. Bad business climate for Amazon? Hardly. Every time I hear a CD poster mention this, I can't help but think that they are not paying attention to facts, but only their own agendas.

Incomes are now rising faster in many suburban Chicago towns than the nation as a whole, according to the new Bloomberg wealthiest places list. Now 12 suburbs of Chicago are in the top 100 wealthiest, and west suburban Chicago added three new towns to the list, joining Oak Brook and Hinsdale ( no. 30 ) and having incomes in those towns rise between 4% and 15% since last year, faster than most towns on the coasts. No other area matched that this past year.

The issues that "remain" don't seem to interfere with the fact that Chicago has more cranes for skyscrapers than any town outside of Seattle, and companies are coming to Chicago, not leaving. Not the right fit for Amazon? Let them decide, and you can tell your sources that as well.

This is a very glass half full outlook (but I agree with much of it). One thing you might add to this bravado (and perhaps one of the key material differentiators) is that Chicago is slowly growing a highly educated workforce. According to Crain's, Chicago is now the nation's most-highly educated city. Of course, this comes somewhat at the expense of depopulation.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...cated-big-city

Another plus that is not overlooked, but perhaps not emphasized enough, is that Univ. of Chicago and Northwestern are top 4 U.S. business schools and Univ. of Michigan (a feeder to Chicago) is top 10. Amazon is looking for top notch business, accounting, actuarial, etc. leaders, in addition to experts in the field computer engineering and computer sciences. Chicago, NW, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin have them in spades and many, most of them would be happy to stay in or re-locate to Chicago.

Last edited by BigLake; 03-20-2018 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 11:07 PM

We are coming down to crunch time, and just for the record, here are my top candidates, based on stuff that few believe, so I refuse to back them up with further arguments.

1. Austin, TX
2. DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland
3. Dallas, TX

I have been active on both threads directed toward this subject for the past year+.

I expect an announcement of either a winner, or a top10 list soon.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
We are coming down to crunch time, and just for the record, here are my top candidates, based on stuff that few believe, so I refuse to back them up with further arguments.

1. Austin, TX
3. Dallas, TX

I have been active on both threads directed toward this subject for the past year+.

That's reasonable. I would add Philadelphia and Boston to the mix with Chicago as the 800 lb. dark horse.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
That's reasonable. I would add Philadelphia and Boston to the mix with Chicago as the 800 lb. dark horse.
You have to think Atlanta is in the top 5.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 26,012 times
Quote:

1. Austin, TX
3. Dallas, TX

Nice, Thank you. I will agree as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.