Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't consider it great insight to "predict" that HQ2 will ultimately be smaller than initially stated.

A lot of assumed immediately that Amazon stated numbers that would never happen.

That doesn't mean the investment and HQ would not still be significant.
I was one of those who immediately thought the job numbers were inflated from the get go, just from looking at what they have in Seattle and what they wanted HQ2 to be. I will say, not to cut Amazon any slack (I'm not a fan), I think Amazon initially mentioned up to 50,000, which could be any number less than that, but never guaranteeing a 50,000 person HQ2!

But, I agree, for some of those cities in the "Final 20", 25,000 Amazon execs over 20 years, or even 10,000 would be great for those economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
As I caveat, I have absolutely, positively no knowledge of Amazon itself. That said, it wouldn't be too surprised to see Amazon change it's mind and instead of creating one massive 2nd headquarters, instead create major regional ones. Having 2 national headquarters is pretty unprecedented even with the largest corporations. Across all corporations there is one head office and then national ones and regional ones but never 2 full headquarters, it really is unheard of.

In such a situation I could see Chicago for the Great Lakes/Midwest, Atlanta for the South, Toronto for Canada, and who knows for the Atlantic Seaboard.

This to me actually would make more sense and could leverage existing talent bases that compliment amazon businesses

as an example

AI - Pittsburgh
Logistics (ATL or Chi)
Food Distribution - Austin
Pharma Logistics - Philly

etc

Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times
Let’s goooooo Newark

Old 07-13-2018, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 18,983 times
New Army HQ chose Austin stating Tech sector & UT as deciding factors. Could Amazon be next?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
This was posted in the New Jersey forum.

https://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2...kd_by_new.html

From the link:

- The pitch to bring Amazon's second headquarters to Newark got another boost on Wednesday -- worth about $1 billion.
- Newark City Council approved a payroll tax exemption for any corporate headquarters that intends to create 30,000 jobs in the city and invest $3 billion over 20 years.
- The corporation would be exempt from paying the 1 percent payroll tax for employees who live in Newark and would pay 50 percent of the tax for other company workers.

The waiver is capped at $1 billion.

Council members voted without any discussion or public explanation but the move would clearly benefit Amazon.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 PM

59 posts, read 67,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
This was posted in the New Jersey forum.

https://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2...kd_by_new.html

From the link:

- The pitch to bring Amazon's second headquarters to Newark got another boost on Wednesday -- worth about $1 billion.
- Newark City Council approved a payroll tax exemption for any corporate headquarters that intends to create 30,000 jobs in the city and invest $3 billion over 20 years.
- The corporation would be exempt from paying the 1 percent payroll tax for employees who live in Newark and would pay 50 percent of the tax for other company workers.

The waiver is capped at $1 billion.

Council members voted without any discussion or public explanation but the move would clearly benefit Amazon.
um No

Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erath254 View Post
New Army HQ chose Austin stating Tech sector & UT as deciding factors. Could Amazon be next?
I could see Amazon going with a Texas headquarters based in Austin and Dallas. I just don't know if Austin is big enough or has the infrastructure to offer all that Amazon wants if it intends to grow a lot.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:07 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,082,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erath254 View Post

LOL you know I'm kinda hoping this happens, just to see how quickly people on this board suddenly start saying how Amazon is small potatoes and doesn't matter...

Old 07-14-2018, 03:29 PM

125 posts, read 143,414 times
There are solid rumors that Amazon may be targeting Nashville for a large presence in the Healthcare Industry.

Not going to reveal source, and you can take it with a grain of salt along with all the other rumors and insights, but with Amazon, Berkshire-Hathaway and JPMorgan-Chase looking to combine forces to provide their own healthcare system to serve their combined 900,000 employees and Amazon's plan to enter the prescription drug market, these whispers make a lot of sense.

Nashville is a healthcare giant in the US economy with some surprising superlatives...

Quote:
Nashville is home to a diverse health care cluster with leaders in a number of industry niches that impact the health care landscape locally, nationally and internationally. From the Health Care Council....

>The Nashville health care industry contributes an overall economic benefit of $38.8 billion and more than 250,000 jobs to the local economy annually. Globally, Nashville’s health care industry generates more than $84 billion in revenue and more than 500,000 jobs.

>Nearly 400 health care companies have operations in Nashville and work on a multistate, national or international basis. Nashville is also home to more than 400 professional service firms (e.g., accounting, architecture, finance, legal) that provide expertise in the health care industry.

>Eighteen publicly traded health care companies are located in Nashville. HCA’s 2011 return to Wall Street marked the largest-ever U.S. private equity-backed public offering.

>A survey of Nashville Health Care Council member CEOs shows great confidence in the Nashville market; 95 percent indicated that a Nashville headquarters location is important to their company’s positive performance.

>More than $1.6 billion in venture capital was invested in Nashville health care companies from 2005-2015.
I can see this happening, not on an HQ2 scale, but with several thousand employees in a couple of 30 story buildings. It would be a great consolation prize.

From this morning...(no relevance to the post, just a nice picture)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/926/4...033d6ab182.jpg

Fingers crossed

Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
There are solid rumors that Amazon may be targeting Nashville for a large presence in the Healthcare Industry.

Not going to reveal source, and you can take it with a grain of salt along with all the other rumors and insights, but with Amazon, Berkshire-Hathaway and JPMorgan-Chase looking to combine forces to provide their own healthcare system to serve their combined 900,000 employees and Amazon's plan to enter the prescription drug market, these whispers make a lot of sense.

Nashville is a healthcare giant in the US economy with some surprising superlatives...

I can see this happening, not on an HQ2 scale, but with several thousand employees in a couple of 30 story buildings. It would be a great consolation prize.

From this morning...(no relevance to the post, just a nice picture)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/926/4...033d6ab182.jpg

Fingers crossed
Just a sidenote and ++ to this, it being Music city, and having big recording studios in the area couldn't hurt either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.