Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 AM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On Princeton

from a recruiting perspective it really doesn't matter

Newark, Philly are very close like less than an hour drive (sans traffic)

But with all these no one only recruits directly from those places right there

look at a Penn State - it sends tons of graduates to Philly, DC, NYC, Pittsburgh, LA so none of these are monolithic

I believe DC may now be the number 1 city for PSU grad (DC and Baltimore are the closest big cities to PSU, though only by a little (NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are all within 3 hours give or take but none are within 90 minutes)

just as an example but no school is any singular place

Now in a city like Boston or Philly places like MIT or Harvard or Penn or Drexel are right in the back yards

other schools like a Lehigh are close to many like under three hours to places like Philly, or NYC or DC etc.

just examples but placing places as some singular recruiting land is just inaccurate
I'm thinking Pittsburgh gets it, you have CMU, Duquesne, and Pitt basically at 1/2 the cost of getting Northeastern, Harvard and MIT, and about 2/3rds the cost of Drexel, UPenn etc.

Plus the Pittsburgh T is underutilized and between the rail lines and the Busways can easily handle even 50,000 (Not that transit share would be 100%) more commuters with very little trouble. As opposed to the Boston T which is basically at Capacity especially since building at a crossroads of a line is not possible. Maybe the Blue line could handle significantly more capacity but geographically that's a tough sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I'm thinking Pittsburgh gets it, you have CMU, Duquesne, and Pitt basically at 1/2 the cost of getting Northeastern, Harvard and MIT, and about 2/3rds the cost of Drexel, UPenn etc.

Plus the Pittsburgh T is underutilized and between the rail lines and the Busways can easily handle even 50,000 (Not that transit share would be 100%) more commuters with very little trouble. As opposed to the Boston T which is basically at Capacity especially since building at a crossroads of a line is not possible. Maybe the Blue line could handle significantly more capacity but geographically that's a tough sell.

Same could be said for Philly's transit - the HR and subway-surface trolleys are not at capacity and the regional rail (which is all one seat directly to the proposed site from the burbs) could add 50-100K riders a day with almost no changes needed as its has a ton of excess capacity as is

regional rail carried an extra 200K passengers for the Phillies parade with little issues

cost of colleges is likely less their concern then available talent and ability to facilitate a site and facility IMHO

but am sure everything factors one way or another

incentives and a viable site (many in US) is probably going to be the end driver though...

Old 01-28-2018, 09:12 AM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Same could be said for Philly's transit - the HR and subway-surface trolleys are not at capacity and the regional rail (which is all one seat directly to the proposed site from the burbs) could add 50-100K riders a day with almost no changes needed as its has a ton of excess capacity as is

regional rail carried an extra 200K passengers for the Phillies parade with little issues

cost of colleges is likely less their concern then available talent and ability to facilitate a site and facility IMHO

but am sure everything factors one way or another

incentives and a viable site (many in US) is probably going to be the end driver though...
That's not tuition I mean you get direct access to elite schools but in a low COL city. As in Amazon saves money without sacrificing much.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Not sure why there's such defensiveness re: Northern Virginia.

It's pretty widely accepted that the region really came of age in the post-WWII era and thus is extremely auto-centric. And zoning, by and large, pretty lax compared to that of many other suburban regions (the many intermittent suburban high-rises and expansive highways are fairly rare in older suburban regions).

That's not to say it isn't extremely competitive economically, with a very high amount of affluence and educational attainment, but the lack of super centralized urbanity isn't exactly a secret. Of course there's been impressive efforts to densify areas like Rosslyn, Ballston, Alexandria (the most impressive urban core of the sub-region) and increase transit connections, but by and large NoVA is still has a significant amount of legacy sprawl.

If you compare Allegheny County, PA to, say, Fairfax County, VA, the difference is pretty apparent, particularly relative to "activity centering" and "street connectivity":

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ddpSiFhzPeHp4_

Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Unprecedented’ Hiring Could Make The Amazon HQ2 Shortlist Much Shorter

Quote:
Amazon's aggressive HQ2 building plans, coupled with its desire to hire 50,000 employees, would be a difficult task for any city to fulfill, Simonson said — but particularly those smaller markets like Columbus, Ohio; Raleigh, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; and Indianapolis. An Everest Group report on HQ2 bidders said Amazon is going to struggle with filling seats if it considers regions with populations of less than 4 million people.
“Scaling technology workers is very hard and, outside a few places in Asia, getting the facilities that have even five-, 10- or even 15,000 people is quite unusual,” Simonson said.
Even building a ground-up second headquarters half the size of HQ2’s specifications would be unprecedented, per Everest's report.
Everest came up with its own shortlist of six cities and a wild card for being the best HQ2 incubators: Boston, Chicago, Dallas, New York, Washington, D.C., and the wild card of Toronto. “Talent is going to drive this,” Simonson said.

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...-shorter-84115

Old 01-28-2018, 10:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
That leaves LA, Atlanta, Miami, Philly out among those with larger populations or meeting the 4+

Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
I worked in Reston on a number of occasions and wished I was somewhere else. One of my least favorite areas of NOVA. awards or no awards. Add in a good chunk of Loudoun county to that also.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I worked in Reston on a number of occasions and wished I was somewhere else. One of my least favorite areas of NOVA. awards or no awards. Add in a good chunk of Loudoun county to that also.
Reston is OK. It's nice but very generic, typical upper middle class suburbia with a somewhat walkable area near Reston Town Center and metro.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:39 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
[b]Unprecedented’ Hiring Could Make The Amazon HQ2 Shortlist Much Shorter
As I believe another poster alluded to, the premise of this study is fundamentally flawed in that HQ2, like its current Seattle operations, will be recruiting nationally and internationally, not from what will be a limited candidate pool in every city.

Of course, it's very true that having a built-in talent pool makes the task easier, but I think more important to the equation is the host city's ability to attract and retain outside talent. That's a critical piece of more granular-level data that I don't think I've seen any public report on this topic cover.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:57 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
As we speak, there are 3 projects under construction in midtown Atlanta within a couple of blocks from each other that, combined, will house over 10,000 technology workers. Atlanta can scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.