Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:04 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
As we speak, there are 3 projects under construction in midtown Atlanta within a couple of blocks from each other that, combined, will house over 10,000 technology workers. Atlanta can scale.
You have no transit outside the perimeter and the vast amount of families will want to live in the far north suburbs. Traffic, Traffic, Traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You have no transit outside the perimeter. Traffic, Traffic, Traffic!
That's not entirely true, and, regardless, it clearly didn't stop NCR, Anthem, and Georgia Tech from building major tech facilities in Midtown.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true, and, regardless, it clearly didn't stop NCR, Anthem, and Georgia Tech from building major tech facilities in Midtown.
Did they require 50,000 employees? I used to get calls for jobs inside the perimeter all the time and my response was always, thanks but no thanks, my sanity is more important than a job.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Did they require 50,000 employees? I used to get calls for jobs inside the perimeter all the time and my response was always, thanks but no thanks, my sanity is more important than a job.
All combined it will be over 10,000, as I mentioned above. And they're all at Tech Square and they're all coming from 2018-2020. NCR opened this month. CODA (GA Tech's project) will open next year and Anthem in 2020. The Bisnow article posted on the last page said that it's hard for most cities to scale even 5,000 tech workers. Atlanta seems to be doing it (NCR alone is over 5,000). I think Philadelphia is probably capable of doing it as well. Neither city was credited in that article.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle has done it twice over, with Amazon and Microsoft each on that scale. The trick is that most are hired globally.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
All combined it will be over 10,000, as I mentioned above. And they're all at Tech Square and they're all coming from 2018-2020. NCR opened this month. CODA (GA Tech's project) will open next year and Anthem in 2020. The Bisnow article posted on the last page said that it's hard for most cities to scale even 5,000 tech workers. Atlanta seems to be doing it (NCR alone is over 5,000). I think Philadelphia is probably capable of doing it as well. Neither city was credited in that article.

Comcast alone has probably added 5-10K tech jobs alone in the past few years

The new tallest building outside of NYC and Chicago is finishing to house more and talk of Comcast 3 announced soon

but point is most any city of size could scale and to mhays point not all would have to come from the area let alone even the US

adding 50K into any one area is a challenge and would push many cities infrastructure in a short run

lack of good transit (not only city but also from the burbs) makes it even harder.

but on this who really knows

only time will tell

I still feel like a wild card is the amount and splash that Amazon wants to make into pharma and pharma distribution. Probably 80% of that skill set (logistics, commercialization, and distribution/regulation) resides between Wilmington De and Southern CT

with the majority of these in the Philly/Central Jersey area (AmerisourceBergen being the largest in the space in the Philly burbs)

but who knows

we can all keep posturing and speculating for fun

Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
It's going to DC. No need for speculation anymore:

Quote:
I think the search for Amazon’s HQ2 has been a sham from the start and the other 17 locations on the shortlist might as well fold up, go home and realize they were conned.

The triumvirate of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia already have a lock on Amazon HQ2, and likely one of those spots has already been chosen, with the other two out there for competition and cover, and perhaps other Amazon future uses.

What makes these sites different from all other sites?

Amazon’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, who bought the Washington Post in 2013, is now building a second home in D.C. Montgomery County and Northern Virginia are connected to D.C. by the Metro system, and are closer to the District than Westchester is to Manhattan.
https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...pressbrook.com

Old 01-28-2018, 05:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Let's also not forget Atlanta's strong film/TV industry--which is probably very appealing to Amazon as it continues to expand into this industry.

After LA and NY, Atlanta is really the #3 city for film/TV. I like to say that Atlanta is the "Milan of Film/TV" or the "Milan of U.S. Film/TV." To me, this is a wonderful distinction and something that Atlanta should be comfortable with.
They also have a large media presence (CNN) which Bezos could poach for the Washington Post.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but many people on C-D (from Day 1) bring up his new DC house and that he owns the WaPo a lot. He also owns homes in Seattle, NYC and Beverly Hills, that I know of. Jeffery is the wealthiest person in our solar system, he can easily afford to buy a multi-million dollar house in any of the top 20 places left he already doesn't have one.

Like every other Nostradamus pick about where HQ2 is going, if the DC metroplex is chosen, people will obviously come on here and say, "I told ya so!" he has a house there and owns the WaPo. And if the DC metroplex is not chosen, people will obviously come on here and say, "I told ya so!", it didn't matter that he owns a house there and owns the WaPo.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

Hmmm... I think Montgomery County has the upper hand over NoVa and DC. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They also have a large media presence (CNN) which Bezos could poach for the Washington Post.
For years there's been speculation that CNN will be moving their HQ out of Atlanta to DC or NYC. Even though their HQ is down there, it's pretty much in name only at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.