Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed.

Texas in general is overrated. I've said this a million times on here but no one on the east coast even talks about Texas. It literally was not until I started reading this board that I saw people ever mention Texas.
Apparently you're in a bubble.

Quote:
That's not to say Dallas, Houston and Austin aren't nice places but let's not kid ourselves pretending it's in the same league as the NYCs or Chicagos of the world.
No one ever made that claim but to be dismissive of the growth that's happening there is pretty silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

No one ever made that claim but to be dismissive of the growth that's happening there is pretty silly.
Not being dismissive, obviously there's a high quality of life there since it has been growing exponentially but it's overrated imo.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Not being dismissive, obviously there's a high quality of life there since it has been growing exponentially but it's overrated imo.
If a lot of people think you're overrated, you must be doing something right.

It's just easier to say it's not for you.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
I see a trend in the data and I believe Amazon is using the trend to group cities for bidding. Does it seem reasonable to group the cities by the embedded data?

The group listing for the 20 cities is embedded in the short list. The first two groups are capital cities and non-capital cities. The third group is embedded in the non-capital cities group called capital analogs.

Group A (capital cities)
Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Nashville, Raleigh, Toronto, Washington D.C.

Group B (capital analogs)
Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Montgomery County, Northern Virginia, New York City, Newark

Group C (non-capitals)
Dallas, Pittsburgh

I pick Dallas over Pittsburgh
I suppose the next limiting factor would be water resources for the remaining cities. What do you think?
Amazon has already been very specific about their requirements, why not base your groupings on that? I don't see the reason being a capital city would be much of a factor. Same goes for water resources.

By the way, Northern Virginia and Montgomery County are simply the suburban areas surrounding DC. They are no different than any other suburbs around major cities. Although they are separated by state lines, for your sort of groupings all 3 should be put together. You could call it "DC Metro (includes DC, Nova and Montgomery County)"

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-01-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Best post ever!

All the New Yorkers and Californians I meet in Austin everyday would tell that poster how Austin is in the "zeitgeist" of the national conscience right now.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Re: the possible factor of being near a medical research center.

If being near medical research centers is important, DC area has more than you might realize. Janelia Research Center is only 9 miles from the CIT center in Reston/Herndon (Northern VA proposed site, and the NIH is only 4 miles from White Flint Mall (the Montgomery County proposed site).

Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Amazon has already very specific about their requirements, why not based your groupings on that? I don't see the reason being a capital city would be much of a factor. Same goes for water resources.

By the way, Northern Virginia and Montgomery County are simply the suburban areas surrounding DC. area. They are no different than any other suburbs around major cities. Although they are separated by state lines, for your sort of groupings all 3 should be put together. You could call it "DC Metro (includes DC, Nova and Montgomery County)"
I've tried to talk to that poster but he/she doesn't have a clue. He's trying to use statistics like the data set is random, but it's not. That's the first mistake you can make in statistics. Once you have knowledge of the criteria then it ceases becoming random and becomes linear. I hope he's not a recent graduate as that means people are failing to understand mathematical concepts.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Whoa....hang on just a second.

I've heard that Austin has a bar district downtown and hosts live music. Can any of the other contenders claim these amenities?

I also have it on good authority that Austin, is in fact, "cool" from some C-D posters so lets consider that.
I don't think any CD posters feel that way? It's probably the most hated city on this board, wouldn't you say? I haven't heard anyone chime in on this thread or the General US forum for Austin, at least not in an over the top way.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:

That's the thing, Austinites don't want to be the next New York or Chicago. Those citizens are actually pretty anti-growth. I don't think Dallas or Houston are the same.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Whoa....hang on just a second.

I've heard that Austin has a bar district downtown and hosts live music. Can any of the other contenders claim these amenities?

I also have it on good authority that Austin, is in fact, "cool" from some C-D posters so lets consider that.

It definitely excels in the percentage of bars where you can drink beer in converted gas stations while eating tacos from taco trucks and hanging with a bunch of dudes with the same bro hipster hair

No city can compare on that metric it wins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.