Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
chicago and atlanta are way too overrated on this thread and forum. I have a feeling it is because C-D is overrating CoL when it comes to the calculus of this move.

More votes for Pittsburgh than Boston? lol wut?!?!?!? I like pittsburgh as an option but there is no way it is better than boston in anything unless you weight CoL as your number 1 criteria.

more votes for nashville than denver? haha.

Why does C-D love the south so much?
The south and Texas run this forum, make no mistake about it. Well, save Austin, it's the most hated city in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
chicago and atlanta are way too overrated on this thread and forum. I have a feeling it is because C-D is overrating CoL when it comes to the calculus of this move.

More votes for Pittsburgh than Boston? lol wut?!?!?!? I like pittsburgh as an option but there is no way it is better than boston in anything unless you weight CoL as your number 1 criteria.

more votes for nashville than denver? haha.

Why does C-D love the south so much?
Atlanta is definitely overrated. Can’t disagree with that one!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You've been on C-D since January 2008, by 2009 or earlier, you should have realized that C-D is just a very small select snapshot of the real world and still is in 2018.

That's why I chuckle when people take the polls on C-D so seriously.

You have to realize/know by now that only a certain subset/type of people post on here, and it's not a true representation of all the different types of people out there, so never take any poll on C-D serious, never. Just laugh and move along, nothing to see here!
Word!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Seattle to Austin is pretty easy travel. It's not as big a deal as some hope it is.
Are you responding to an old post? In the context of the current discussion I don't get the relevance.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Atlanta is definitely overrated. Can’t disagree with that one!
Your neighbors in the Tri-State obviously haven't seen the memo, as they continue to move here in droves.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:18 PM

987 posts, read 1,303,916 times
The host city also has to have excellent international connections as well and this is a strength of Toronto Pearson. It has the 2nd most international travellers in NA after JFK and is Air Canada's hub and Air Canada has the world's 2nd largest destinations served.

I don't see how Austin has a chance. Why would Amazon go to Austin when it could go to nearby Dallas which is triple the size, has a bigger and busier airport, and has an effective transit system including 140km of light rail one of which goes right to DFW airport? If Amazon goes to Texas I honestly can't think of a single reason why they would choose Austin over Dallas.

As I've stated I think it's a battle between Washington, Boston, Philly, Toronto, Chicago and Atlanta. If I had to choose a surprise city that I would LIKE Amazon to choose, it would be Pittsburgh.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The host city also has to have excellent international connections as well and this is a strength of Toronto Pearson. It has the 2nd most international travellers in NA after JFK and is Air Canada's hub and Air Canada has the world's 2nd largest destinations served.

I don't see how Austin has a chance. Why would Amazon go to Austin when it could go to nearby Dallas which is triple the size, has a bigger and busier airport, and has an effective transit system including 140km of light rail one of which goes right to DFW airport? If Amazon goes to Texas I honestly can't think of a single reason why they would choose Austin over Dallas.

As I've stated I think it's a battle between Washington, Boston, Philly, Toronto, Chicago and Atlanta. If I had to choose a surprise city that I would LIKE Amazon to choose, it would be Pittsburgh.
I appreciate that opinion, but IMO you don't quite understand Amazon. They don't really care about size, busier airport, or huge transit operations. They want a "lifestyle" city that can attract young, skilled tech folks. They want a city that meets and greets their potential job applicants as a modern, tech-friendly, pedestrian-friendly, bike-friendly progressive city. Austin checks all the boxes. I do agree that the DC area is also a strong contender.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Your neighbors in the Tri-State obviously haven't seen the memo, as they continue to move here in droves.
But did I move there? Nope! (Like countless of others) Plus the ones who move there go there for cost reasons not because they want to explore things. Those same people constantly complain about how they miss home. Lol.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
But did I move there? Nope! (Like countless of others) Plus the ones who move there go there for cost reasons not because they want to explore things. Those same people constantly complain about how they miss home. Lol.
Just as many move for job transfers or a better quality of life, and are thriving here. Hardly any that I know have any desire to ever go back. Lol.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 PM

987 posts, read 1,303,916 times
I do understand what you are saying about Amazon wanting a modern city with a young urban vibe and Austin has the best reputation in Texas for that. Conversely, Austin is a sprawling mess like Dallas but unlike Dallas, Austin has no rapid transit except for that useless 1 commuter line while Dallas, while no transit nirvana, has a large an effective LRT system and a crucial connection to the airport. That said, please don't misunderstand me as I don't think either one will get it. I have always thought Amazon wants a large city in an Eastern time zone so I have never even really been convinced about Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.