Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think the real humor there is SF was never considered?
They are meeting in SF because it's sunny and 68 there while it's rainy and 50 in Seattle. Both Bezos and Trudeau are tired of winter and want a warmer locale to meet. Bezos surely wasn't going to fly to 17 degree Toronto for the negotiations.

That's all you can read into it. But yes, the meeting is Bezos trying to see what Trudeau can offer him as far as incentives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:18 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They are meeting in SF because it's sunny and 68 there while it's rainy and 50 in Seattle. Both Bezos and Trudeau are tired of winter and want a warmer locale to meet. Bezos surely wasn't going to fly to 17 degree Toronto for the negotiations.

That's all you can read into it. But yes, the meeting is Bezos trying to see what Trudeau can offer him as far as incentives...
And, since SF isn't a finalist, there's no bias. Makes sense.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
And, since SF isn't a finalist, there's no bias. Makes sense.
Exactly. If they chose LA there would be a bias. It's the only nice weather city they could've chosen.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
I mean in this forum in general. Can you point me to where I said Austin was hated in this thread? But a certain poster here is rankled because Austinites believe their city is a peer to Philly and Atlanta, I don't really see that in this thread and this forum Surely you don't need my help with that right? You are one of the Dallasites who was jealous of Austin's hype as well right? I remember you posting that.

And I'm not intentionally ignoring you, I don't know you from Maude, so don't be offended.
My mistake, the actual post (#613 of this thread) specifically places Austin, Atlanta, and Los Angeles in peer group while subordinating contenders like Columbus to a lesser status. So it wasn't Philadelphia, but Los Angeles (one of the largest urban areas in the world).

Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Exactly. If they chose LA there would be a bias. It's the only nice weather city they could've chosen.
Plus Jeffery has had a house in Beverly Hills for eons, way before he got that little fixer upper in DC!

It's definitely coming to LA, no doubt!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
My mistake, the actual post (#613 of this thread) specifically places Austin, Atlanta, and Los Angeles in peer group while subordinating contenders like Columbus to a lesser status. So it wasn't Philadelphia, but Los Angeles (one of the largest urban areas in the world).
I don't think he meant it as Austin was in LA or Philly's class, just their ability to attract people. He didn't mention amenities, that I could see anyway. And, all three cities are growing well:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten.../#7eaaf13241b8

This one is regarding GDP growth :https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten.../#38356e4734a7

I can't speak for the man/woman, but I think he was just breaking down the contenders in his opinion. He wasn't saying Austin was in LA or Philly's league as a cosmopolitan city.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
As for no Austin boosters on here...

I have been calling Austin from Page 19 on the original thread (which can still be located). I have also repeated this prediction over and over on both threads. However, I'm not really an Austin booster, much more a student of how Amazon works. So while I may be wrong, I also still believe my original premise.

Reasons:

1. Amazon wants a liberal city in the sunbelt.

2. Amazon wants a city that attracts workers.

3. Amazon wants a pedestrian/bike friendly city.

4. Amazon wants a major college town.

5. Amazon wants a tech city.

6. Amazon wants a place people want to move to.

7. Amazon wants a Bezos friendly location

8. Amazon wants an air location that can connect to Seattle, and INTL.

9. Amazon wants a sunbelt location to balance Seattle

10. Amazon wants a connection to Latin America.

Uh, this is Atlanta.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:04 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
As for no Austin boosters on here...

I have been calling Austin from Page 19 on the original thread (which can still be located). I have also repeated this prediction over and over on both threads. However, I'm not really an Austin booster, much more a student of how Amazon works. So while I may be wrong, I also still believe my original premise.

Reasons:

1. Amazon wants a liberal city in the sunbelt.

2. Amazon wants a city that attracts workers.

3. Amazon wants a pedestrian/bike friendly city.

4. Amazon wants a major college town.

5. Amazon wants a tech city.

6. Amazon wants a place people want to move to.

7. Amazon wants a Bezos friendly location

8. Amazon wants an air location that can connect to Seattle, and INTL.

9. Amazon wants a sunbelt location to balance Seattle

10. Amazon wants a connection to Latin America.
Great points-made me think of a few more that solidifies the case for Austin as HQ2:

11. Austin has sidewalks-Amazon will want these for traversing downtown.

12. Austin has a bridge that allows cars and pedestrians to cross back and forth over the river-VERY useful for workers commuting downtown.

13. Buildings in Austin have air conditioning-this will be key during summer months at a potential HQ2.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Lol...why can't people just wait and see? Most, will be eating their words.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Great points-made me think of a few more that solidifies the case for Austin as HQ2:

11. Austin has sidewalks-Amazon will want these for traversing downtown.

12. Austin has a bridge that allows cars and pedestrians to cross back and forth over the river-VERY useful for workers commuting downtown.

13. Buildings in Austin have air conditioning-this will be key during summer months at a potential HQ2.
Sarcasm duly noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.