Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What about southwest Michigan?
I lived in Chicago, and knew some who went to Michigan. Most, though, went somewhere in Wisconsin. Door County was a huge draw, as was the Minocqua, Eagle River area...lots of lakes in northern Wisconsin. Some I know, had condos in Milwaukee's Third Ward, and spent week-ends there. Overall, from those I knew, Wisconsin was a more popular destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Boston --> The Cape (Cape Cod) and to a lesser degree Southern Maine. This is kind of tongue in cheek but the cultured Elete go to the Berkshires in the summer.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Bostonians tend to go to Cape Cod, Newport RI, NH (Loon) for close getaways ... Aruba, Cancun and Florida for long ones. Id say Bostonians visit Europe more than others due to proximity.

New Yorker Downstaters visit Jones Beach a lot... Lake George and the Poconos are popular. Beach wise Virginia Beach, Cape Cod/Nantucket/Marthas Vineyard, some spots on the jersey shore and Ocean City MD come to mind.

Poughkeepsie/Hudson Valley had a lot of vacationers go east I noticed. Lots go to Cape Cod and NH.

Central Florida had a lot of vacationers to like NC and Tennessee. A lot of Orlandoans visit Miami too when I lived there.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
I think Kansas City and St. Louis have similar destinations. Missouri Ozarks, especially the lakes, and Branson. To a lesser extent, Arkansas.
People in Little Rock go to Dallas a lot, perhaps as much as Memphis, even though it's more than twice the drive. Memphis gravitates towards St. Louis.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Denver:

Hawaii
Mexico
Arizona
Vegas
California
"Back home" as so many of us are from somewhere else. The longer you live there, the less you go "back home" and the more you go to other places.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:02 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
For LA: Hawaii, Vegas, Cabo, San Diego, and various ski resorts in the Sierra/Rockies.

For Florida, my regional breakdown:

Midwest- Tampa to Naples on the Gulf Coast
Northeast/Mid Atlantic- Miami to West Palm Beach on the Atlantic Coast.
The South- North Florida, both the Atlantic Coast from Jacksonville through Daytona down to Cocoa Beach and the Florida Panhandle Gulf Coast (AKA Redneck Riviera) from Pensacola through Destin to Panama City beach.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:49 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Washington DC:

Some that spring to mind are...

TIER ONE
Baltimore
Charlottesville
Chesapeake Bay (Solomons Island, Saint Michaels)
New York
Ocean City
Outer Banks
Philadelphia
Rehoboth Beach Corridor
Shenandoah Valley
Williamsburg

TIER TWO
Blue Ridge Parkway
Chincoteague and Assateague
Garrett County
Gettysburg
Lancaster Amish Country
Richmond
Virginia Beach/Norfolk

TIER THREE
Jersey Shore
New England (everywhere)
Northern Neck
Pittsburgh
Poconos
Southwest Virginia (Smith Mountain Lake, Mount Rogers)
West Virginia (Seneca Rock, New River Gorge, Monongahela)

And then there's Florida, where Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando and Tampa are always a cheap low-cost carrier flight away.

Internationally, DCers go everywhere, with a particular affinity for the Caribbean and Europe. I don't think DCers go to just the Cancuns and Punta Canas though. Places like Havana, Cartagena, Martinique/Guadeloupe, Panama and Costa Rica seem popular.

Then there's Iceland, which has burst onto the scene lately.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:44 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
From San Diego:

-Palm Springs
-Hawaii
-Cabo/Puerto Vallarta
-Vegas
-San Francisco
-Ski resorts (Big Bear/Mammoth)

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What about southwest Michigan?
That is Harbor country. I had mentioned it beng on Lake Michigan's southeast shore....which translates to Michigan's southwest shore.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 AM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Kentucky: Gatlinburg, TN/Pigeon Forge area is a huge vacation destination. Gulf Shores, AL is a close second.
Ohio: Ohioans love Hilton Head Island, SC and Myrtle Beach, SC. I was on I-75 in the Cinci area recently and saw a car with a decal, it was the Palmetto tree/crescent moon in Ohio state colors. I can't begin to count all the "HHI" stickers I see on Ohio cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.