Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,069,089 times

Advertisements

Connecticut suburbs of NYC are probably the most well rounded...

Greenwich
New Canaan
Darien
Westport

But very expensive...

On par would probably be MA suburbs of Boston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 02:14 PM

13,959 posts, read 13,722,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

Greenwich
New Canaan
Darien
Westport

But very expensive...

D.C suburbs, Philly suburbs are nice too

Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 PM

306 posts, read 476,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So, despite Naperville's downtown, in a conversation of nicest suburbs in the US, it sounds like you'd agree that some of the North Shore towns would represent Chicago in this discussion? Certainly before Naperville or Hinsdale?
The Northshore suburbs and Naperville are two completely different ares. The North Shore is quaint old money, lots of $$$$ small towns along the lake front with very quaint downtowns for the uber rich.

Naperville is a city that is a suburb of over 150K people. For its population it is for sure upper class, but no where near the cost of the north shore. I was talking about a downtown area, Naperville has the best downtown in the Chicagoland suburbs and I dont think it is really debatable.

If someone wants to be closer to chicago and wants the old money and $$$houses, North shore is for them.

Also the Hinsdale and alikes in the west burbs have obvious great school districts, bazillion tear downs, etc. I just personally dont have them appealing.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,365,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
You're correct with the second link. For the 4th link, if you take the zip codes that belong to Buckhead (below - I found this on the net it might not be 100% accurate), there is noway you can have a median household income that high.

Zip Buckhead portion Area covered by zip code
30319 part Brookhaven, Lenox Park, Dresden Drive
30324 part Broadview-Morosgo, Cheshire Bridge Road
30326 all Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza, Tower Place, Lenox Superblock
30327 part (most) Peachtree Battle, Wildwood-Spring Lake, N.W. Atlanta

I especially agree with your points in bold. Nobody ever stated that Tysons was an amazing place but you can't say Buckhead is so much better unless it's purely opinion. My favorite areas of Atlanta are Virginia Highlands, Cabbagetown and L5P.
Agreed. I actually mentioned the Atlanta suburbs earlier on one of the pages as being one of the best in the nation - but in terms of wealth, honestly NoVa blows Atlanta out of the water.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM

239 posts, read 228,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

Greenwich
New Canaan
Darien
Westport

But very expensive...

I would agree that Fairfield County is great, but it is no nicer than the top Jersey suburbs, top Long Island suburbs, and top Hudson Valley suburbs. Also, the NYC suburbs are definitely a tier above Boston’s MA suburbs. Boston’s suburbs are great, but they are no match for New York’s. I find Philly’s suburbs to be nicer than Boston’s. DC has the worst suburbs out of the four major Northeast cities.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,675,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree it is innapropriate to mention Buckhead but those guys who are saying Philly burbs beat Buckhead, they should know not only does Buckhead cover a third of Atlanta it is a district home to didiculously low dense and large mansions as well as this ridiculously amazing linear skyline. Buckhead Skyline
I don’t think any philly suburb can compete against that combination, I’m not from Atlanta but comparing such an expansive district to the relatively small borders of most suburbs.

the main line would have a lot of similarities just no skyline or comparable

population may even be higher for the main line than Buckhead and probably wealthier and more expensive

both also have very good rail transit options, the main line with many more stations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

some of the wealthiest zip codes in the country

Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM

373 posts, read 345,624 times
Upstate ny Albany area

Old 01-30-2018, 04:41 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,334,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
First of all Hinsdale is just vomit to me. No character, new money tear downs left and right.

Naperville cannot be included in the quaint extremely wealthy suburbs of the North Shore. Reason being there are over 150,000 and a lot of land in Naperville compared to those burbs. North Shore is old money and of course real estate prices are more pricy

Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs are kind of "we cannot afford the North shore, but want the tear down."

Naperville experiences this as well to a smaller level.

That all said, there is no downtown in Chicagoland that rivals downtown Naperville in 2018. From restaurants, to entertainment, to riverwalk, festivals, etc. there is nothing like it.
Just read this and had to reply. What?? Hinsdale has no character? Hinsdale people cannot afford the North Shore? Hinsdale is full of homes that are priced from $3-$5 million, and has a 125 year old National Historic downtown that oozes with charm. Only Kenilworth and Winnetka are more expensive now, so I doubt people say I can't afford the North Shore, so here I go to Hinsdale. Hinsdale is just vomit? Better get that checked, sounds pretty serious to me.............Sounds like some serious Naperville envy.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:15 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,657,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed. I actually mentioned the Atlanta suburbs earlier on one of the pages as being one of the best in the nation - but in terms of wealth, honestly NoVa blows Atlanta out of the water.
Don't you just love how they make such bold statements on how Buckhead is light years ahead of Tysons yet have provided nothing to support the claim... its just over the top homerism. I don't even like Tysons Corner...

Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,365,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Don't you just love how they make such bold statements on how Buckhead is light years ahead of Tysons yet have provided nothing to support the claim... its just over the top homerism. I don't even like Tysons Corner...
Yeah. Tysons is overrated. I like Tysons but I find Arlington to be much better. Tysons is kind of generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.