Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 AM

373 posts, read 348,439 times

Advertisements

Some are fortunate to live where they choose others have no option but for the most part climate is a major
Factor in relocation for most people .
So with that said , defend your climate . What do you love or hate ? What stereotypes aren't true ? Sell your cities weather

I'm in upstate ny .
Surrounded by mountains and lakes I love our weather overall
Winter can be brutal , -40 degree wind chill often , long artic air snaps .
But you truly do get use to it and living here my whole life it's nothing to me at this point . I don't own a winter coat and I work outside . I'm compfortable in a hoody and under armor . Plus I find enjoying winter sports helps deal with it . I think you would be pretty misreble sitting inside all winter ; however I picked up snowboarding and snowmobiling .
Nothing beats some mountains views and alpine forests covered in thick snow cover

Spring and fall are simply perfect . Nice warm days , chilly
Nights .

Summer historically is humid and hot for a few weeks in August and September but the last few years specifically last year our summers were near perfect . 60s almost every day with no humidity and a nice breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I love that I don't have to defend the weather where I live now. It wasn't always so, and I don't take it for granted. I feel blessed.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Seattle - Well it's mild for most of the year, the rain is perfect for growing gigantic trees and green things, the summer's are truly fantastic, light therapy and Vitamin D pills are good ideas and you have a good reason to travel south in February for a vacay!

Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
How does one "defend their cities climate"? It's not something that anyone can change, you either like it or you don't. I don't see how defending it would sway someone else's opinion of it.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I love where I live. I love it here BECAUSE of the climate (not just the climate) not IN SPITE of. Those that think it's too cold to live here, well, don't. I don't think the cold is as bad as people make it out to be and it doesn't snow every day. It's very sunny in winter more so than the eastern Midwest and Northeast. Its also just as common to have above freezing days as it is to have below zero ones in winter.

Generally the kind of people who think MN is too cold to live in are the kind of people that probably think Missouri is too cold to live in. Softies that put on jackets at 50 degrees

Besides winter the other seasons are wonderful. The only people who would think summer here is "hot and humid" are those who must have never set foot in the South in July. Humid by California standards but has anyone thought that maybe we aren't so humid, and that California is just too dry? At least we don't have major fires and water shortages.

I think the weather is great here. Yes it does get brutally cold some days and it can suck when it's so windy it chills right to your bones but those days will pass. Living here you'd be surprised how warm 25 degrees will feel. 25 degrees everyone here is outside enjoying the milder winter weather, sledding and ice skating. 25 degrees even in NYC and everyone acts like it's arctic and you can barely walk to the mailbox. People don't blink at the cold if it's above zero. May be in early December but as time goes on everyones used to it.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:24 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Some are fortunate to live where they choose others have no option but for the most part climate is a major
Factor in relocation for most people .
So with that said , defend your climate . What do you love or hate ? What stereotypes aren't true ? Sell your cities weather

I'm in upstate ny .
Surrounded by mountains and lakes I love our weather overall
Winter can be brutal , -40 degree wind chill often , long artic air snaps .
But you truly do get use to it and living here my whole life it's nothing to me at this point . I don't own a winter coat and I work outside . I'm compfortable in a hoody and under armor . Plus I find enjoying winter sports helps deal with it . I think you would be pretty misreble sitting inside all winter ; however I picked up snowboarding and snowmobiling .
Nothing beats some mountains views and alpine forests covered in thick snow cover

Spring and fall are simply perfect . Nice warm days , chilly
Nights .

Summer historically is humid and hot for a few weeks in August and September but the last few years specifically last year our summers were near perfect . 60s almost every day with no humidity and a nice breeze
Maybe further north, but even there, I wouldn't necessarily say that it is "often". I say that as someone that lived in the North Country for a few years.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
it's not my fault

Old 01-24-2018, 07:48 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Who cares if other people don’t like the climate someone lives in? My defense- I like it, don’t care if others don’t.

I love 4 legitimate seasons, snow, spring, and the colors/weather of fall. Summer is summer. Some people can’t handle cold, others can’t handle heat, I don’t care either way as long as I’m happy where I am.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 AM

46 posts, read 71,084 times
I live in KC. Some people that live here will talk about our winters like its Buffalo NY and our summers like it is Houston. Its honestly remarkable to me how many people crap on the weather here. It can be extremely cold and extremely hot but more often than not its reasonably nice in winter and summer. Spring and fall are typically fantastic. We haven't had a snow of more than 3" in almost 5 years yet you'll hear people talk about our brutal winters. Its supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow but January has been very cold, definitely colder than a typical January. I love our summers but there are usually 2-3 week long heat waves (day time highs in mid 90s) between June-Sept.

I think people hate on the weather bc the weather is so variable and you can't say with any certainty, "its April 1st so it will be 70-80 degrees for the next 2 months."

Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.