Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did moving to a better climate improve your quality of life and increase your level of happiness?
Yes, quality of life vastly improved! 37 59.68%
Yes, glad I moved, qualify of life moderately improved 11 17.74%
Neutral - moving did not make a difference in my happiness 10 16.13%
Moving to a better climate had a negative impact on my quality of life 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Winters here aren't that warm. Much warmer than TX, but it also gets very cold at night, even in PHX. This whole week our lows have been in the low 40s and mid-to-high 30s. If you truly want warm winters, your only option is Southern Florida, basically.
Well I think Arizona will be warm up enough for me BIG CATS.Those lows that yall have been having dont seem too bad to me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why does every day have to be "comfortable"? 22 degrees isn't sit out on the patio weather but its hardly brutal arctic winter weather. I don't want every day to be comfortable, that's boring. Its like dating someone who is attractive but has no personality. Comfortable is always relative though, it depends on what you're doing. 65 degrees is comfortable for sitting outside or walking but uncomfortable for swimming as its too chilly for that. 90 degrees is uncomfortable for walking or running out in the sun, but its comfortable for relaxing in the pool drinking a beer. Its all relative to what you're doing. I like to do all kinds of things so "comfortable" changes.

That statement is funny to me because when I was walking around downtown Minneapolis a month ago on a Saturday night, it was 16 degrees and there were people in line to go into night clubs and people walking in and out of bars even in t shirts. This isn't even a "party city" either, but the cold doesn't stop nightlife here. Its gotta be like super cold for that to even happen. (And even then lol) New Years Eve was below zero, you think that stopped the bars from poppin'? What does it matter when most people will be inside buildings and travelling in heated vehicles anyway? And as long as its above zero you can expect people walking on the streets.
People will go to any lengths to get drunk and hookup

Old 01-25-2018, 12:30 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Believe it or not, having too much sun can cause depression, too. Its like reverse SAD. In PHX that averages 320 days of sun a year, it becomes cumbersome, especially in summer. If you don't like being couped up indoors, PHX might not be the place. Yes, its sunny almost all summer, but the heat is deadly and drives people indoors. You either sit in a/c, or in a pool. Outdoor activities are limited during afternoon hours, as the heat is too intense. Cars are easily 250 degrees inside sitting out in the sun. Everything you touch burns you. A/C runs non-stop. The majority of the public stays indoors. There are many nights where our low temps are around 100 degrees at times. These are things to consider. You should look at places like Prescott, AZ, which is much cooler, but just as sunny.
The depression you get in Phoenix in the summer is not SAD though if you actually get depressed.

Even walking from your A/C car to your A/C office in the sun in Phoenix, because of the high sun angle and lack of clouds means that you get a very strong dose of Vitamin D. Even driving around, you get plenty of Vitamin D as well as the windows block some UV but you still receive some.

I think you may be referring to cabin fever and that can affect anyone. But it's not SAD. You have to go grocery shopping or work or whatever and you'll get a good Vitamin D dose doing any of those things in Phoenix in the summer.

The cure for cabin fever is usually exercise and anti-depressants.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why does every day have to be "comfortable"? 22 degrees isn't sit out on the patio weather but its hardly brutal arctic winter weather. I don't want every day to be comfortable, that's boring. Its like dating someone who is attractive but has no personality. Comfortable is always relative though, it depends on what you're doing. 65 degrees is comfortable for sitting outside or walking but uncomfortable for swimming as its too chilly for that. 90 degrees is uncomfortable for walking or running out in the sun, but its comfortable for relaxing in the pool drinking a beer. Its all relative to what you're doing. I like to do all kinds of things so "comfortable" changes.

That statement is funny to me because when I was walking around downtown Minneapolis a month ago on a Saturday night, it was 16 degrees and there were people in line to go into night clubs and people walking in and out of bars even in t shirts. This isn't even a "party city" either, but the cold doesn't stop nightlife here. Its gotta be like super cold for that to even happen. (And even then lol) New Years Eve was below zero, you think that stopped the bars from poppin'? What does it matter when most people will be inside buildings and travelling in heated vehicles anyway? And as long as its above zero you can expect people walking on the streets.
When I was in Arizona in the summer (Scottsdale) I noticed people jogging at high noon in 110 degree heat. At night in the town square people were waiting outside bars and clubs and even sitting outside in the evening having drinks.

So if there is a person in Arizona that sat inside all day that is their issue as there are plenty of people outside in AZ even in summer just as if there is someone that sits inside all day in MN there are some that venture out.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
People will go to any lengths to get drunk and hookup

Or they could be looking for a good night on the town. Minnesotans are hardy. Temps in the teens are practically room temperature!

Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM

375 posts, read 319,127 times
[quote=cBach;50816556]The depression you get in Phoenix in the summer is not SAD though if you actually get depressed.

Even walking from your A/C car to your A/C office in the sun in Phoenix, because of the high sun angle and lack of clouds means that you get a very strong dose of Vitamin D. Even driving around, you get plenty of Vitamin D as well as the windows block some UV but you still receive some.

I think you may be referring to cabin fever and that can affect anyone. But it's not SAD. You have to go grocery shopping or work or whatever and you'll get a good Vitamin D dose doing any of those things in Phoenix in the summer.

The cure for cabin fever is usually exercise and anti-depressants.[/QUOTE

Go read up on reverse SAD!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...the-summer?amp

Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
When I was in Arizona in the summer (Scottsdale) I noticed people jogging at high noon in 110 degree heat. At night in the town square people were waiting outside bars and clubs and even sitting outside in the evening having drinks.

So if there is a person in Arizona that sat inside all day that is their issue as there are plenty of people outside in AZ even in summer just as if there is someone that sits inside all day in MN there are some that venture out.

I couldn't do it! Uff! I can go for a walk in the 100s but only a short walk around the area but thats it. I don't really do jogging at super cold weather either, because I get out of breath from the cold dry air. A walk is fine. But a leisure walk. I'm not walking downtown in either subzero or triple digit weather. I've done it and would do it in the teens and nineties. I'm doing it Monday to go see the winter carnival (forecast calls for 16/4)

I've seen people ride their bikes in single digit weather. People get really fat tires for winter. Also, Arizona is more extreme in summer than Minnesota is in the winter. Even I as a cold weather lover, admit I have days I don't care for going outside except when I need to or for maybe a short walk. Like a few weeks ago we had a really wicked windchill. I only went outside for a short walk and some pics. The wind was brutal that day. Most days aren't all that cold. We're reaching 40s tomorrow even. I'd compare MN winters with TX summers. They can be brutal but they're not terrible. Arizona is more like Alaska. Alaska is way colder on average than Minnesota. Nowhere in the Twin Cities has average lows in the negatives, you have to go pretty far north to start seeing that. Yet Phoenix, the biggest city in AZ, has average highs in the 100s all summer long. Compare that with Dallas which has average highs in the 90s, not 100s. Dallas summers aren't all that bad, they're like our winters. Love them or hate them, but you will be fine. I'm too white for that desert sun. Bake me like a cookie lol. Hell naw!

Old 01-25-2018, 01:26 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Bottom line: I think that any extreme weather conditions can be depressing and life limiting, hence why places like San Diego and Orange County, CA where they don't normally experience vast extremes in either direction are so crowded and prohibitively expensive.
I bet it's extremely difficult to get depressed in San Diego anytime of the year when everyday is a zipity-do-dah-zipity-yay!!oh-my-what-a-day kind of day.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 PM

[quote=Tams here;50816819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The depression you get in Phoenix in the summer is not SAD though if you actually get depressed.

The cure for cabin fever is usually exercise and anti-depressants.[/QUOTE

Go read up on reverse SAD!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...the-summer?amp
Thanks for schooling me. So it's too much sun basically that makes them have a mania of sorts. Interesting.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Southern heat and humidity is physically draining, as is intense sunshine. If I have to deal with it for eight months of the year, then I prefer cold temperatures and cloudy skies for the other four months. Cold weather is a refreshing antidote to the extended period of heat and humidity. For that matter, snow and cold rain is a soothing antidote to thunderstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.