Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Interesting observation, since Detroit Metro Airport is located in an outlying suburb twenty miles from the city proper. I have flown in and out of DTW many times and all I ever saw was a suburban landscape of trees and a few houses and businesses such as hotels and restaurants located nearby. There is no blight in the suburb where DTW is located, so again, interesting observation!

And yes, it is a beautiful airport, one of the best that I've seen in the entire U.S.
It is indeed a beautiful airport. And everything else you wrote is correct, too.

I think her comment manages to capture what is wrong with CD threads like this. People just pop off on cities they've never visited or driven through on the interstate. I only remark on places that I've actually been and spent significant time.

So Detroit gets the short end of the stick from people who've never visited the place. This is true of a lot of cities and states. I live in a Southern city that regularly gets trashed by people who have never visited the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 PM

401 posts, read 331,476 times
Asheville, NC. There's always a lot of buzz in the Western North Carolina threads and the photo sticky is full of beautiful pictures.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Asheville, NC. There's always a lot of buzz in the Western North Carolina threads and the photo sticky is full of beautiful pictures.
Ha I'm back and yes good call! I've never been to Asheville (NC), Greenville (SC), Grand Rapids (MI) or Omaha so these are all on my list, in part due to CD

Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Making the Amazon 20 has piqued my curiosity about Indianapolis. I was there once, and briefly; I'd like to check it out again.

Other cities I've reconsidered thanks to CD:

Portland, ME
Pittsburgh, PA
Detroit, MI
Cincinnati, OH
Knoxville, TN

Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Never had much of a previous desire to visit Philadelphia (I've been through there, on the way to Wilmington from Upstate NY in '14), but I never actually went to Philly. I can tell you, especially after recently visiting Boston, Philly is high on my list of places to see. I have a very strong feeling I'll really enjoy Philly, and I'm a Pennsylvania guy anyway. It's one of my favorite states, I've been everywhere except Philly...

Cleveland was a great experience, after hearing about it on here. It was only a letdown from the perspective that Cleveland boosters on here give this impression of it as some grand, large metropolis---it isn't that. But that's just from the image presented online; otherwise it is very fun and a very good looking place...similar experience with Pittsburgh, except it gives off more of a "major city" vibe than Cleveland, and it's online boosters are slightly more humble. Overall I really enjoy both and could live in either under the right circumstances...

I've been wanting to see Detroit for a long time. I had a layover at the airport there in 2011, and ever since I've kept tabs on Detroit news and trends. Ohio is a state ive fallen in love with, partially due to what ive seen on here but largely due to my Cleveland trip; I really want to see Columbus bad...

I guess I can't really say what cities have impacted me from just city data. I'm a city geek and have been since I was a child, when I begged for a new Rand McNally map every year. I've always been in love with learning about other places, so I naturally always researched places to stoke my curiosity. City-Data has allowed an opportunity to talk to and hear from people in places I wouldn't otherwise speak to, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about American cities anyway...
Philly should be on your list to visit and a summer visit or thru October trip is best so you can see the city alive in nice weather.

Many city boosters overplay their hometowns, Cleveland being no exception. However, given Cleveland’s national joke put downs the past 50 years or so, I’d give us a break. It certainly is a city that people are surprised when visiting especially due to their low expectations. I don’t see the Cleveland boosters portraying it has a grand metropolis but it is a city with a grand history that is being discovered by visitors and even the locals.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Philly should be on your list to visit and a summer visit or thru October trip is best so you can see the city alive in nice weather.

Many city boosters overplay their hometowns, Cleveland being no exception. However, given Cleveland’s national joke put downs the past 50 years or so, I’d give us a break. It certainly is a city that people are surprised when visiting especially due to their low expectations. I don’t see the Cleveland boosters portraying it has a grand metropolis but it is a city with a grand history that is being discovered by visitors and even the locals.
I think the homers on CD inflate their cities so much that you really don't know what to believe. It is almost like the story about the emperor who had no clothes. I visited Toronto, and it was nice but not great. I did like the diverse neighborhoods. Cleveland is in a way grand, especially from my window at the Marriott. But small and really empty for the most part. And Philly was interesting, but in no way living up to the hype on this forum. I thought parts were interesting and liked the history, and the cheese steak competition between who is best was great, but the city looked run down, and I know that it is probably much better than it was, still had a ways to go. The suburbs were nice, but the NJ side with Camden and Trenton was way worse than I expected.

i appreciate the fact that the homers love their cities, but the reality between what is said on this Forum and what is reality is somewhat out of whack at times. I have been to 49 states, lived in five, and when people start talking about their hometowns you have to wonder if they are talking about the same place that you visited/lived in. There was a recent Saturday Night Live skit about Boston and Philadelphia that cracked me up that was way more accurate about catching the spirit of the cities on here than this Forum could.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:07 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I think the homers on CD inflate their cities so much that you really don't know what to believe. It is almost like the story about the emperor who had no clothes. I visited Toronto, and it was nice but not great. I did like the diverse neighborhoods. Cleveland is in a way grand, especially from my window at the Marriott. But small and really empty for the most part. And Philly was interesting, but in no way living up to the hype on this forum. I thought parts were interesting and liked the history, and the cheese steak competition between who is best was great, but the city looked run down, and I know that it is probably much better than it was, still had a ways to go. The suburbs were nice, but the NJ side with Camden and Trenton was way worse than I expected.

i appreciate the fact that the homers love their cities, but the reality between what is said on this Forum and what is reality is somewhat out of whack at times. I have been to 49 states, lived in five, and when people start talking about their hometowns you have to wonder if they are talking about the same place that you visited/lived in. There was a recent Saturday Night Live skit about Boston and Philadelphia that cracked me up that was way more accurate about catching the spirit of the cities on here than this Forum could.
Most of the older U.S. are in the process of recovery and still have a way to go. No city is perfect, all have unique aspects, but none can meet the expectations or hype foisted on them. Hometown bias is real and can play into a city's pros and its cons.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
I think the homers on CD inflate their cities so much that you really don't know what to believe.
Exactly. If anything, all the blatant homerism and boosterism on C-D makes me skeptical about visiting most of the places I read about being so great on here.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-23-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
I've always been open to go visiting any big US city.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:04 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:

That didn't make me like Philly any less. I had a great time in Philly, and I even enjoyed touring the bad parts.

What cities do you like, out of curiosity?

In the last few years I've been to Philly, DC, Boston, Montreal, and Vegas. I liked all of them except Boston. Not that Boston was terrible, it just didn't do it for me. And I wouldn't want to actually live in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.