Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 PM

401 posts, read 331,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
No kings....in fact you're not even carrying a pair of 2's in your hand
ROTF! I have to go shopping for a new chair for that dunce corner, (and maybe a new hat) that was awfully uncomfortable. So I'll be back in a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Not without a clue
Oh, sorry. Here's the clue then: These cities all shared a singular status in the 19th century, but no longer have that status:

Mobile, AL
Cincinnati, OH
St. Paul, MN
Richmond, VA

Old 02-16-2018, 11:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Oh, sorry. Here's the clue then: These cities all shared a singular status in the 19th century, but no longer have that status:

Mobile, AL
Cincinnati, OH
St. Paul, MN
Richmond, VA
They used to the be largest cities in the state? They used to be the fastest growing cities in the state?

Couer d'Alene, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
New Orleans, LA
Cleveland, OH

Old 02-17-2018, 12:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Nobody gonna try to guess this one?
Nobody tried to guess mine either, so I am just moving on.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:

Mobile, AL
Cincinnati, OH
St. Paul, MN
Richmond, VA
The largest cities in their respective states, at that time...

Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

Washington, DC

Albuquerque, NM

Atlanta, GA

Roanoke, VA

Canton, OH

Hickory, NC

and possibly ? ? these also:

Portland, OR,,,,,,Everett and Olympia, WA...... Calgary and Edmonton, AB

I will give the answer. All of these cities are divided into 4 quadrants. Street addresses in them, are always followed by N.E., N.W., S.E,. or S.W.

There are other cities that have the quadrant listed before the street address, for example Miami, FL, and Minneapolis, MN, maybe St. Pete, FL.?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Here is one exclusive to these four cities.... at least for another year. All the hint I will give.

Arlington, TX
Glendale, AZ
Tampa
Atlanta

Old 02-17-2018, 11:59 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The only remaining cities whose professional basketball team was originally in the ABA before they joined the NBA?
Someone got it a few pages back, but yes, the cities of the four remaining ABA teams that merged with the NBA.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
ROTF! I have to go shopping for a new chair for that dunce corner, (and maybe a new hat) that was awfully uncomfortable. So I'll be back in a bit.
You're a good boy. I'll throw you a bone: look at the cities' names

Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:

Mobile, AL
Cincinnati, OH
St. Paul, MN
Richmond, VA
19th century and Richmond's on the list. i'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'll go with the Civil War. Richmond, of course, was the main capital of a the South. Mobile would have served as the port for the original CSA capital of Montgomery. Besides Mobile harbor was blockaded.

The two northern cities prove more troublesome. Cincinnati was an important first stop of the Underground RR in the free states north of the Mason Dixon and the Ohio...but so what. Thus Cincy looked south across the Ohio to the slave states....but since Kentucky stayed in the union...so there is nothing strategic about Cincy....another so what.

St. Paul would be the toughest so The biggest stretch here. St. Paul is close to the source of the Mississippi and the point where the river becomes navigable. That would make it a staging point. The North's Anaconda Plan was to cut the Southit in two,by way of the Mississippi.....St. Paul being the only real port in the north on the Mississippi (St. Paul being the real city and Mpls a backwater to launch this. Missouri, like Kentucky, never seceded, but St. Louis with its split loyalities could not have been used to launch.

So I have two grey cities and two blue

Do I think I'm right on this one? Sadly not. So I think I went throgh my long, convoluted concocted story for nothing

Last edited by edsg25; 02-17-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.