Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Ok, with the hint answer of Rikki and Veronica LAKE, I see on the map that those cities are on Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Lanier, Lakes Harris, Eustis, and Lake Washington respectively. So there must be something more to it.
No, you got it...all lakeshore cities. Well done.

Miami Beach
San Francisco
Chicago
New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

Miami Beach
San Francisco
Chicago
New Orleans
This one is tough because Miami Beach differs widely with the others. I'm getting a vague sense of water/transportation/connectivity. I'm also sensing something about these places where there might be a connection that none were part of the original (13 states) US

In fact, three of these cities came of age in the 19th century and were big parts of the western expansion of this era. But Miami Beach is the monkey wrench here..it's what is making it hard to zero in on any real possbilities

I'll give one more, but it is a real stretch: I can see a connection with NYC in these four, but I think one could make a connection with NYC for virtually any city.

Is there anything I said here that is a crack, an opening to solving this????

Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Well the fact that Miami Beach is specified makes me think this is unique to the cities and not the metros. They are also on or near different large bodies of water. Besides that I've got nothing lol.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This one is tough because Miami Beach differs widely with the others. I'm getting a vague sense of water/transportation/connectivity. I'm also sensing something about these places where there might be a connection that none were part of the original (13 states) US

In fact, three of these cities came of age in the 19th century and were big parts of the western expansion of this era. But Miami Beach is the monkey wrench here..it's what is making it hard to zero in on any real possbilities

I'll give one more, but it is a real stretch: I can see a connection with NYC in these four, but I think one could make a connection with NYC for virtually any city.

Is there anything I said here that is a crack, an opening to solving this????
That, if anything.

HINT: A well-known quote from the movie Field of Dreams.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
That, if anything.

You are leading to think an MLB connection, but that certaintly doesn't hold up well given that list of cities

Earlier I had mentioned a 19th century connection with NYC: both Chicago and through it New Orleans, the openning of the Erie Canal is what really transformed NYC into the nation's premere city. SF became the NYC of the west coast and NY to SF by way of Atl and Pac during the gold rush is another water connection. Still no place to put MB.

So MLB might be my best bet....right????

Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
The quote is "build it and they will come" or something to that effect. I'm still at a loss though...not sure what Miami Beach has built in connection with these other cities.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:

Miami Beach
San Francisco
Chicago
New Orleans
Cities with piers? Piers converted for entertainment purposes? New Orleans seems to be the weak link there tho...

Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
I thought of one, the hint is Iconograph's last 4 (not the uncoded one) inspired this idea:

Dallas
Atlanta
Phoenix
Denver

Those would be the largest 4 if I am thinking right. Others on the list: Las Vegas, Columbus, Indianapolis, Birmingham, San Antonio.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I thought of one, the hint is Iconograph's last 4 (not the uncoded one) inspired this idea:

Dallas
Atlanta
Phoenix
Denver

Those would be the largest 4 if I am thinking right. Others on the list: Las Vegas, Columbus, Indianapolis, Birmingham, San Antonio.
Nope.

And the quote is correct; "If you build it, they will come,"

I hope you guys don't get bogged down on this one.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM

401 posts, read 331,760 times
Quote:
That, if anything.

My first inclination when I read Miami Beach was Henry Flagler for some reason, and railroads. And then when you mentioned the 'if you build it they will come' I'm still leaning in that direction, as I'm thinking of the golden spike linking the Union Pacific, or first Transcontinental Railroad; wasn't the terminus San Francisco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.