Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would be the least relevant without its principal MSA?
New York (New York) 14 12.07%
Illinois (Chicago) 41 35.34%
Georgia (Atlanta) 23 19.83%
Minnesota (Minneapolis-St.Paul) 28 24.14%
Colorado (Denver) 6 5.17%
Washington (Seattle) 4 3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
How about Oregon without Portland
or...
Alaska without Anchorage
or...
Hawaii without Honolulu
Arizona without Phoenix

Massachusetts without Boston

Rhode Island without Providence.

But definitely of the OP’s list, without their major MSAs, the most relevant states would still be New York, Illinois, and Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 06:08 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Rhode Island has -600,000 people without the Providence MSA so I think they win.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Here's the list of the populations of each state without their largest MSAs:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...gest-metro.png

It's roughly:

New York

Georgia~Illinois

Washington

Colorado

and Minnesota at the bottom.

(But Rhode Island at the absolute bottom)

Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Arizona without Phoenix

Massachusetts without Boston

Rhode Island without Providence.

But definitely of the OP’s list, without their major MSAs, the most relevant states would still be New York, Illinois, and Georgia.
I didn’t poll places like Nevada, Mass, etc. because I wanted a somewhat even, fair match.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
New York without New York City would be Michigan.

Illinois without Chicago would be Indiana.

Georgia without Atlanta would be Alabama.

Minnesota without Minneapolis/St. Paul would be the Dakotas.

Colorado without Denver would be New Mexico.

Washington without Seattle would be Idaho.
Pennsylvania without Philadelphia would be Tennessee.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I answered Minnesota in my head before I even saw the poll options.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
It's Colorado.

New York, Illinois, Georgia, Minnesota, and Washington have ports and sit on navigable waterways. This makes them considerably valuable, even without major cities. Colorado is landlocked and not particularly well positioned. Denver is the largest and most important city, by far, within hundreds of miles and second to only Phoenix in the Mountain West. Removing Denver makes Colorado mostly a vacation destination for skiers. Colorado Springs would be the most significant city and it's not enough to make up for Colorado's shortcomings relative to the other states in this poll.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Pennsylvania without Philadelphia would be Tennessee.
I almost spit out my sip of coffee. LOL Surprised you did not say Alabama ... that was floated around by someone. I think you overestimate Philly's stature giving to PA? After all. There is still Pittsburgh smaller but relevant and Harrisburg/Hershey of Allentown/Bethlehem. Though you probably include two in in Philly's MSA window.... but they really are not. Degrees yes. NYC has token Northeastern PA in its CSA.

But I like Tennessee so I'll take it.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM

401 posts, read 331,641 times
You didn't list RI but I'm guessing without Providence MSA it wouldn't be much - the beaches, Newport and Block Island.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I almost spit out my sip of coffee. LOL Surprised you did not say Alabama ... that was floated around by someone. I think you overestimate Philly's stature giving to PA? After all. There is still Pittsburgh smaller but relevant and Harrisburg/Hershey of Allentown/Bethlehem. Though you probably include two in in Philly's MSA window.... but they really are not. Degrees yes. NYC has token Northeastern PA in its CSA.

But I like Tennessee so I'll take it.
Tennessee has 4 large-ish metros around a million or more, I think it's a good comparison.

Colorado still has Springs, Pueblo, Greeley, Longmont and Loveland. All of these are large-ish towns and Springs is like a small city IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.