Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is Houston really viewed as more international than Philly?
I cant tell you if its viewed as a more international city by the masses.

It is, objectively, more international than Philly by just about every metric. It has more immigrants, more international businesses, more diplomatic missions, more international visitors, more international people into its airport, etc.

Im not saying Houston is a better city, but its certainly more international.

Philadelphia's international profile is similar to Dallas.
Boston's international profile is similar to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Identity, even if thought of as local culture, plays a big role in recognition. Think aspects like music, food, history, etc.
There's definitely interplay between the two. But any identity, no matter how strong, will have to first be known in order to be recognized. Knowledge that comes from exposure.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don’t think Houston will ever become a tourist mecca, however. It simply lacks the historical charm of many tourist spots in the US. Further, the city’s go-go developers’ paradise and lack of zoning is not likely to deliver an attractive built environment any time soon. Finally, the city’s flat, featureless topography and its hot and humid climate doesn’t lend itself to enjoyable outdoor activities. For those who do visit family and friends, however, there remain quality ways of entertaining guests.
Hmm, well, we'll just have to see about that.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Because the arguments you all are making are really about recognition, even though the operative term in play (identity) refers more to a city's local culture.
If a city has no strong identity (or it is, ahem, “unreadable,” as the article you opened the thread with asserts), that doesn’t offer a lot to recognize.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Hmm, well, we'll just have to see about that.
What's going to change? What's my reason for visiting Houston for a vacation?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
There's definitely interplay between the two. But any identity, no matter how strong, will have to first be known in order to be recognized. Knowledge that comes from exposure.
And older major cities have been around longer so they have a headstart when it comes to their identities being known. Some of their newer counterparts have caught up somewhat but I wouldn't really argue that Houston is one of them.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
And older major have been around longer so they have a headstart when it comes to their identities being known. Some of their newer counterparts have caught up somewhat but I wouldn't really argue that Houston is one of them.
Of course.

Quote:
If a city has no strong identity (or it is, ahem, “unreadable,” as the article you opened the thread with asserts), that doesn’t offer a lot to recognize.
Strong or not, one must have knowledge of an identity in order to recognize it. 💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What's going to change?
You'll have to see.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
"Unreadable" can't mean a lack of a strong identity if LA is being used as an example.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
"Unreadable" can't mean a lack of a strong identity if LA is being used as an example.
Agree. I never bought the term ”unreadable” used in the article posted by the OP. That’s why I always put it in quotes. “Unreadable” is a failed attempt to re-brand and mystify decentralization and sprawl.

I covered this in a few posts earlier in the thread.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Of course.

Strong or not, one must have knowledge of an identity in order to recognize it. 💡

You'll have to see.
I'm excited. I've visited likely over 100 times. Great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.