Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Sounds like a lot of fancy words in place of one: sprawl.
I don't know if you read the article, but I at least find it ironic that you basically just proved his point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The vibe of the city is what makes it unique, and the planning is different from Philly anyway. Philly seems like mostly rowhomes while NYC is a mix of many different things, but what stands out to me the most is the 3-7 story tenemenr buildings.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks NYC isn't unique.
If we’ve hit “vibe” this quickly in finding differentiation, I think that’s a sign.

They. All. Look. The. Same.

#cookiecuttercities

Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I don't know if you read the article, but I at least find it ironic that you basically just proved his point.
Yes, and I think we’re in for a hilarious thread.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If we’ve hit “vibe” this quickly in finding differentiation, I think that’s a sign.

They. All. Look. The. Same.

#cookiecuttercities
If you think NYC is like Boston then you must not be very familiar with either city.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
The vibe of the city is what makes it unique, and the planning is different from Philly anyway. Philly seems like mostly rowhomes while NYC is a mix of many different things, but what stands out to me the most is the 3-7 story tenemenr buildings.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks NYC isn't unique.
New York is extremely unique, but their argument is that the city is just a big version of a Philly or a bigger version of any of the stereotypical cities that put their focus on Downtown or in this case Manhattan and have the normal drop-off in density as you leave the center. I will say Northern New Jersey is pretty unique in how its developed. But NYC overall if you look at a density map is pretty predictable look at Houston and the entire SW section of the city is denser or as dense as the inner loop even the Western half.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
New York is extremely unique, but their argument is that the city is just a big version of a Philly or a bigger version of any of the stereotypical cities that put their focus on Downtown or in this case Manhattan and have the normal drop-off in density as you leave the center. I will say Northern New Jersey is pretty unique in how its developed. But NYC overall if you look at a density map is pretty predictable look at Houston and the entire SW section of the city is denser or as dense as the inner loop even the Western half.
NYC has extremely urban/dense areas well outside of the CBD (assuming that's defined as Lower and Midtown Manhattan), such as upper Manhattan, a large chunk of The Bronx, much of North Brooklyn and Western Queens, Coney Island, etc.

It's also the only American city I can think of that has so many "tenement" buildings, Philly seems dominated by rowhomes.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
NYC has extremely urban/dense areas well outside of the CBD (assuming that's defined as Lower and Midtown Manhattan), such as upper Manhattan, a large chunk of The Bronx, much of North Brooklyn and Western Queens, Coney Island, etc.

It's also the only American city I can think of that has so many "tenement" buildings, Philly seems dominated by rowhomes.
I know it has incredible density, Manhattan could sink into the ocean and NYC would still be the most impressive city in the U.S. MY point is that density drops off from the CBD, you don't go to Suffolk County NY and see an area denser than the city center. Houston you go to Katy and you go to Mission Bend and you see areas as Dense as West University Place within a few miles of Downtown. You go to SW Houston and the entire area is denser than the area within 5 miles of Downtown.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I know it has incredible density, Manhattan could sink into the ocean and NYC would still be the most impressive city in the U.S. MY point is that density drops off from the CBD, you don't go to Suffolk County NY and see an area denser than the city center. Houston you go to Katy and you go to Mission Bend and you see areas as Dense as West University Place within a few miles of Downtown. You go to SW Houston and the entire area is denser than the area within 5 miles of Downtown.
Suffolk County is not part of NYC so I wouldn't expect it to be super urban. However there are places in NYC quite far from Lower Manhattan that are extremely urban, and in some cases more densely populated.

It's easier for a Houston's suburbs to be equally urban because Houston isn't that urban in the first place. Yet Long Island does have neighborhoods that are more urban than a big chunk of Houston, Long Beach, Hempstead Village, and Freeport come to mind.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 PM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Ok...would you be able to share the defining form that separates New York, Boston, and Chicago with us then?
Can you share the defining form that separates LA from Detroit?

Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Sounds like a lot of fancy words in place of one: sprawl.
Hmm, I don't think so. If that were the case they could've made the entire piece about Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.