Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After California, which state has the best 1-2 punch in public u's
AZ: UA, ASU 0 0%
CO: CU, Colo Mines 3 3.33%
TX: UT, A&M 12 13.33%
IN: IU, Pur 8 8.89%
MI: U-M, MSU 23 25.56%
OH: OSU, Miami 0 0%
FL: UF, FSU 6 6.67%
GA: UGA, GT 16 17.78%
NC: UNC, NCSU 12 13.33%
VA: UVA, W&M 27 30.00%
PA: PSU, Pitt 11 12.22%
NY: Bing, Sny Bro 4 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Clemson is private but Auburn is public.
Clemson is public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Cough! Cough! Clemson and Auburn are not public universities.
Yes they are...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Clemson is public! Where are y'all from?!?!?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Clemson is public! Where are y'all from?!?!?
So how did Purdue manage to escape being labeled a private university when Clemson and Auburn did get so? I

Old 02-19-2018, 07:48 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Yep, and William and Mary is public too, but is better than most privates.

Clemson also doesn’t get its due credit. It’s ranked higher than the U of Minnesota, which is the only game in town for a state known for its exceptional public education system.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM

33 posts, read 27,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Virginia leading this poll isn't that surprising, but Michigan leading Georgia is absurd.
How? UMich is second to none among public universities (probably tied for top 3-4) and is more highly ranked than GA Tech. MSU is a Big Ten research university ranked among the top 100 undergrads nationally (little lower than UGA) and top 50-60 as a research university (little higher than UGA). I’d say UMich is better regarded than Ga Tech, and UGA is better than MSU, but the difference isn’t all that much between them. You have a strong GA bias if you think it’s absurd to consider Michigan equal to or better than GA on this metric.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Cough! Cough! Clemson and Auburn are not public universities.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I always get Auburn confused with Vanderbilt.
What in the wide world of sports? This isn't a serious conversation and you two are fooling us all right?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad21 View Post
How? UMich is second to none among public universities (probably tied for top 3-4) and is more highly ranked than GA Tech. MSU is a Big Ten research university ranked among the top 100 undergrads nationally (little lower than UGA) and top 50-60 as a research university (little higher than UGA). I’d say UMich is better regarded than Ga Tech, and UGA is better than MSU, but the difference isn’t all that much between them. You have a strong GA bias if you think it’s absurd to consider Michigan equal to or better than GA on this metric.
Very true. UM is an awesome public.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Virginia has the best 1-2 punch with UVA and William & Mary for undergrad.

Michigan has the best 1-2 punch with Michigan and Michigan State for graduate programs.

Georgia has a very strong pair with GT and UGA, but I do think some regional biases are getting in the way in the arguments that I’ve seen about them being over Michgan. The University of Michigan is generally considered to be the best public university top to bottom for both undergrad and grad programs outside of Berkeley and across the entire breadth of subject areas (from engineering to business to liberal arts). It’s an unbelievably strong school in virtually every area (and I say that as an Illinois alum). GT is a great school, but its high ranking is partly due to its focus on engineering that garners high stat students. If you just took the same mix of engineering and business programs that GT offers from, say, Illinois and Wisconsin (which are mandated as land grant schools to provide majors in areas like agriculture that artificially drag down some of the campus-wide admissions stats), you’d see those schools rank as high or higher than GT. Meanwhile, UGA is slightly stronger than MSU for undergrad, but MSU is actually stronger than UGA for graduate research, so that’s a bit of a wash.

Separately, I think people in this thread are underrating the Texas schools. UT-Austin is an academic powerhouse in virtually every area (similar to Michigan and Berkeley) and Texas A&M has top tier engineering programs.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I want to revisit this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
are you telling me any state could match up with the dynamic duo of Cal and UCLA??????????

c'mon....do you really believe any state can compete with that?
Exactly! US News ranks those tied for #1 for public universities in the US.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
New York with the cuny and suny systems...
New York was late to the game with public universities. I read an article once, which of course I'll never find again, which said they were reluctant to do so because they didn't want to have a system that competed with their private universities. In any event, they didn't establish public unis until 1948. Of course, nothing is quite that simple, here's an overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...ty_of_New_York

Anyway, US News considers Cornell private. So the top ranked public uni in NY is Binghamton at #38, behind many other schools on this list, e.g. Colorado School of Mines (29); U Tex Austin (18); Tex A&M (25); Purdue (18); Michigan (4); Mich State (33); Ohio State (16); Miami of OH (31); U of FL (9); Florida State (33); U of NC (5); North Carolina State (33); UVA (3) William and Mary (6); Penn State (14); Pitt (24); U GA (16); GA Tech (7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
UIC is no slouch and makes Illinois competitive with some of the states in the poll.
I agree. UIUC #14; UIC #73. Az State is #53 and U Az is #58.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.