Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,070,734 times

Advertisements

Uh, this is completely different.... my list is percentage of individual income paid to taxes.. also your wallet hub list is almost a full year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh, this is completely different.... my list is percentage of individual income paid to taxes.. also your wallet hub list is almost a full year old.
My point is that those same states also give more to the government via those taxes to the government versus what they get back. So, they help fund the government more so in comparison to other states.

This doesn’t get into the fact that those same states generally tend to have higher incomes in comparison as well. That is mentioned in that article here: https://247wallst.com/special-report...most-taxes/12/

That’s all I’m saying.

A lot of census information is a little bit behind in general. If look at that page I just posted, the list is using 2014 and 2015 information.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
24/7 Wall Street gathered data from the Tax Foundation to determine which state's residents paid greatest percentage of their income to taxes, the top 10 results are below:

1) New York - 12.7%
2) Connecticut - 12.6%
3) New Jersey - 12.2%
4) California - 11%
5) Illinois - 11%
6) Wisconsin - 11%
7) Maryland - 10.9%
8) Rhode Island - 10.8%
9) Minnesota - 10.8%
10) Massachusetts - 10.3%

Connecticut, being the wealthiest state, pays the most dollar amount per capita.

https://247wallst.com/special-report...most-taxes/11/
And then there's this...from the article, "Generally, states with lower-income residents tend to have lower tax burdens. Per capita income in all but three of the 15 states with the lowest tax burdens is lower than the average income nationwide. In contrast, the per-capita income in 12 of the 15 states with the highest tax burdens is greater than the national average of $49,246 a year. The three states with the highest tax burdens — Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York — have the highest, third highest, and fourth highest incomes per capita in the country."

Which kind of reinforces the fact that the kneejerk reaction to paying taxes often isn't the most ingenious reaction.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,592,446 times
Tax burden by state (full list)

1. Alaska
2. Wyoming
3. South Dakota
4. Tennessee
5. Louisiana
6. Texas
7. New Hampshire
8. Nevada
9. South Carolina
10. Oklahoma

11. Mississippi
12. New Mexico
13. Montana
14. Alabama
15. Arizona
16. Florida
17. Colorado
18. North Dakota
19. Georgia
20. Nebraska

21. Iowa
22. Idaho
23. Virginia
24. Washington
25. Missouri
26. Michigan
27. Indiana
28. Kansas
29. Kentucky
30. Utah

31. West Virginia
32. Ohio
33. North Carolina
34. Arkansas
35. Maine
36. Pennsylvania
37. Hawaii
38. Delaware
39. Oregon
40. Vermont

41. Massachusetts
42. Minnesota
43. Rhode Island
44. Maryland
45. Wisconsin
46. Illinois
47. California
48. New Jersey
49. Connecticut
50. New York

Tax burden by state with at least 8,000,000 population

1. Texas
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. Virginia
5. Michigan
6. Ohio
7. North Carolina
8. Pennsylvania
9. Illinois
10. California

11. New Jersey
12. New York

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I notice on city data quickly growing populations is viewed as a great thing whereas in real life many people do not like sudden fast growth in their cities. I tend to compare what city data to what I see on FB a lot.

As a New Yorker I’m totally fine with the city shedding 1 million out of its 8.5 million residents!
It seems the exact opposite to me. C-D has the most people who are defensive of the low growth/high tax states These places are slammed everywhere else I go on the internet.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:48 AM

654 posts, read 794,187 times
For a places that has the nickname "Taxachusetts' it seems relatively low. I was expecting a lot higher for Mass.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM

266 posts, read 242,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Welcome to TN; we are 47/50 in overall tax burden. My DH is from upstate New York, after so many years I still can't get over how ridiculous the taxes are up there. His parents pay $5000 a year for property taxes for a $150k house. That plus state income, plus tolls, more expensive gas, my goodness it all adds up fast.

And to the poster who said taxes are great, we have great roads, parks, good schools too, and pay little taxes. Our sales tax is high, however. If anyone likes paying taxes, good for them. I cringe.... I know how to handle my money I work for more than Uncle Sam. We aren't deprived of anything here.
We recently moved from CT#2 to TN. I agree! The only 2 things that are more expensive for us are water bills, and sales tax. We happened to move to a town where water is liquid gold HA!

But everything else including registering cars, car/home owners insurance, gas prices, electricity rates, property taxes and insurance premiums are less... in some cases, far less.

It always surprises me to see people defend the argument that higher taxes means better services. That is not always the case, and one certainly can't argue that case if they haven't lived anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,382,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
For a places that has the nickname "Taxachusetts' it seems relatively low. I was expecting a lot higher for Mass.
I think it used to be higher in the 80's or 90's but that was before my tax paying time. Old stereotypes die hard, although Mass is 10 out of 50 is still pretty high so it's not like it doesn't fit anymore. Plus it kid of rhymes/ sounds good. Taxecticut or Tax York just doesn't have the same ring and if you said Tax Island people would probably think you're going the other way and talking about the Caymans or something

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,070,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
We recently moved from CT#2 to TN. I agree! The only 2 things that are more expensive for us are water bills, and sales tax. We happened to move to a town where water is liquid gold HA!

But everything else including registering cars, car/home owners insurance, gas prices, electricity rates, property taxes and insurance premiums are less... in some cases, far less.

It always surprises me to see people defend the argument that higher taxes means better services. That is not always the case, and one certainly can't argue that case if they haven't lived anywhere else.
Yeah, I live in Connecticut now, and the cost of living is INSANE. California, move over...

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It seems the exact opposite to me. C-D has the most people who are defensive of the low growth/high tax states These places are slammed everywhere else I go on the internet.
I think a lot of this is based off of population and other aspects like overall cost of living. You can have areas in high tax states that have a lower overall cost of living than an area in a low tax states due to other factors such as housing, which makes up about 30% of the overall cost. Check out the 4th segment of this page to get an idea of what I am referring to: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

Looking at the Regional Price Parities information here may also offer more insight into area COL differences as well: https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...step=1&isuri=1

Taxes are just one aspect to cost of living and a lot of this also has to do with pay. So, for instance, a lot of low tax states tend to also have lower pay as well. In turn, I think people think that what they make in the higher taxed state is going to transfer to the lower tax state, when that isn't always the case.

Then, you may have other aspects to consider in comparison to other states like the prevalence of HOA's and while this doesn't mean that things are "tit for tat", something like this will not show up in terms of taxes.

Even how states get certain taxes like property taxes aren't the same. Some, strictly get them via real property, but some may get it via real and personal property. Again, it isn't tit for tat, but it is something that people should be aware of.

So, I think that is a part of the "defensiveness" that people may be referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.