Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:10 AM

233 posts, read 172,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Hard to quantify since California is so diverse (in all contexts) from end to end. Due to its uniquely long shape north to south.

I really don't think any other mainland state has the same diversity in its borders. Alaska might be close though.

Texas is also huge but honestly the majority of the state is relatively uniform. It is also diverse on its own merit, but not to the extreme Cali is.

People say Arizona but Arizona is only really similar to southern California. Oregon is quite similar to northern California, logically. Of its neighbors, Nevada may have the most in overall common in terms of inner-landscape.
I find Texas to be culturally more heterogenous than California. In California, you basically have two divides - the coast and the rural areas. I find the north/south divide to be quite overblown.

In Texas, there is a dramatic difference between Beaumont - a city that would feel at home in Louisiana - and El Paso - a city that would feel at home in New Mexico. Texas sort of straddles several regions - south, southwest and plains - while maintaining a very long US/Mexican border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
California is like a mix of the Pacific Northwest, Desert Southwest and the Mountain West together, with a much more mild climate.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
^^^ Exactly why I’d say Texas is more diverse than Cali.

There’s more differences between Houston, Dallas, El Paso, Austin and San Antonio than LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and etc.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:28 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
The Woodlands, TX. The whole “town” is a planned community. No mountains or beaches but tons of trails though the pine forest. They built up a town center around the mall - unfortunately after I lived there - and while you might have to drive there depending on what village you are in, you can take a boat ride once you get there. No trains that I know of but there was a pretty good bus system for downtown commutes even 20 years ago. I would think it has improved since the are has grown substantially.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:55 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
No single state is similar to California but various regions of CA resemble a lot of other states.

The northern part of the state where the Cascades start resembles Oregon or Washington (in fact, the proposed state of Jefferson would carve out this part and join it with a portion of southern Oregon.)

The Central Valley is a lot like Texas, Oklahoma, and most of the South-Central US. Lots of rural agricultural communities, pickup trucks are everywhere, and the area is fairly flat and moderately dry with few tress in sight. In fact, a lot of the people living here were originally from places like Texas and Oklahoma.

The Sierras are similar to Colorado and the other mountain states with the jagged snow-capped peaks and tons of tourists.

The Inland Empire and High Desert resemble Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico in both topography and culture.

The coastline in Southern California doesn't really have a close equivalent. Maybe Hawaii? Or the Gulf Coast? Or Florida?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

The coastline in Southern California doesn't really have a close equivalent. Maybe Hawaii? Or the Gulf Coast? Or Florida?
The coastline in Southern California is probably more similar to the coastline of Oregon than it's to Gulf states, Florida, or Hawaii.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, I remember when I went out to California last year for the first time it was amazing.

For me though what I enjoyed was being in a large planned community with various mini housing developments scattered within this planned community. The community had access to a club house/meeting house and pools throughout the development.

The other plus was had a sidewalk that connected to bike path and trails. Trails went into the mountains and to the ocean.

Also everything was close such as grocery stores and other stores not very spread out.

Had good public transportation could of taken a train to L.A. or San Diego.

Curious if any State has areas within their State that shares similarities?
I think I know exactly the neighborhood you are describing. Sounds like where my friend lives in Irvine. Woodbridge?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:49 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
^^^ Exactly why I’d say Texas is more diverse than Cali.

There’s more differences between Houston, Dallas, El Paso, Austin and San Antonio than LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and etc.
San Francisco and Los Angeles are COMPLETELY different.

As is NoCal vs SoCal. They are like different countries in some ways, let alone different states.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
The coastline in Southern California is probably more similar to the coastline of Oregon than it's to Gulf states, Florida, or Hawaii.
The coastline in Southern California is nothing like Oregon or Washington's coast at all. Northern California and Oregon have a lot of stretches of high, rocky bluffs with only small crescent of sand, and that depending on tide, extensive tidepools and there are many places where the wet, semi-rain forest comes right down to the sea.

Southern California beaches would be much more similar to Atlantic coast Florida beaches (with much, much colder water and bigger waves).

Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The coastline in Southern California is nothing like Oregon or Washington's coast at all. Northern California and Oregon have a lot of stretches of high, rocky bluffs with only small crescent of sand, and that depending on tide, extensive tidepools and there are many places where the wet, semi-rain forest comes right down to the sea.

Southern California beaches would be much more similar to Atlantic coast Florida beaches (with much, much colder water and bigger waves).
No, I'm sorry. Florida beaches are completely unlike those in Southern California. There are cliffs and canyons that go right up to the coast in Southern California - hell, they go down the spine of Baja, California. I'm not sure what you referring to.

This view (from San Diego) is much more similar to a view you'd find in Oregon than you'd find in Florida:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.