Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Tysons also has metro stations. Just like Buckhead, with a few stations with both having a stop at their main shopping malls; Metro with Tysons just and Marta with a stop at Lenox.
I am aware of this. You made the claim that Buckhead was 'purely car oriented' which is factually untrue and dishonest. Buckhead has had trains for years now, unlike Tysons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:12 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I am aware of this. You made the claim that Buckhead was 'purely car oriented' which if factually untrue and dishonest. Buckhead has had trains for years now, unlike Tysons.
I think Tysons is purely car-oriented even if it has the a few metro stations. You don't see people walking out and about unless it's lunch time or around the mall.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I think Tysons is purely car-oriented even if it has the a few metro stations. You don't see people walking out and about unless it's lunch time or around the mall.
Because Tysons is totally car oriented, unlike Buckhead which is an actual neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Because Tysons is totally car oriented, unlike Buckhead which is an actual neighborhood.
So you're saying Buckhead is not a car oriented place? I don't recall seeing many people walking around Buckhead when I lived in Atlanta.

Either way. This is all opinion and I'm not the only one that sees the similarities with Tysons and Buckhead along with Bethesda.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-09-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 02:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
So you're saying Buckhead is not a car oriented place? I don't recall seeing many people walking around Buckhead when I lived in Atlanta.
As far as the commercial heart of Buckhead goes, you'll see people walking although most wouldn't describe it as walkable--although efforts have been made, and are currently being made, to make it more pedestrian friendly overall.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Either way. This is all opinion and I'm not the only one that sees the similarities with Tysons and Buckhead along with Bethesda.
I never said that. You said it was totally car oriented, which is flat-out untrue. You also conveniently omitted the fact that there are 2 train lines. You probably never ventured anywhere but Lenox Square to begin with.

Anyone that thinks Buckhead and Tysons are alike are totally unfamiliar with both.

Tysons is an overgrown Edge City with zero character, Buckhead is an actual neighborhood.

Last edited by JMT; 03-10-2018 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Maybe it's just where we were staying then.

Also, I should clarify, I'm not putting down Atlanta. I liked it, it's A LOT more chill and lax than NoVa, people don't take themselves as serious and aren't as self-important.
I didn't get the idea that you were. As a former resident of Atlanta and a current DMV resident, I'd say your comparison is pretty spot on.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
I will agree that Buckhead and its character resembles Bethesda, MD FAR more than it resembles Tysons, VA.

And I think Bethesda, MD and Buckhead, Atlanta are quite close cousins. Although Bethesda is slightly more urbane with higher walkscores and transit usage overall and more pedestrian friendly design layout. And in contrast Buckhead has a higher concentration of highrises, but still maintains a lower density. Both are fairly close in population/size.

Both offer a concentration of higher density transit oriented development in prominent corridors, that quickly but genuinely disperses out to single family neighborhoods of high value and architectural integrity.

Both are wealthy and well to do. And both have a variety on the urban/suburban mix within a relatively concentrated pie and share a large/healthy concentration of pre WWII historically valuable properties.

Buckhead is an interesting case study and definitely resembles a prime example of the successful concentration of wealth within a metro. Its historical wealthy suburban neighborhoods were allowed to develop an urban core, which concentrated and compounded its immediate geographic wealth.

C/D mentions Buckhead a lot. It is definitely noteworthy and certainly lives up to its reputation as a high wealth enclave.

Buckhead is unique as it resembles the highest concentrated version of wealth for the metro as a whole I would say compared to other metros. Bethesda is also extremely wealthy, but DMV wealth has a higher dispersement, so you do not see the extreme peaks as you do in Buckhead, although Montgomery County, MD definitely has a larger share of it.

I will not discuss it in this thread, but it would be interesting to compare metro level data, as the rankings would quickly highlight the totality over the concentration. In the matter of Buckhead it is the concentrated version, but that concentration quickly falls and does not carry over to metro wide levels.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-09-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
I never said that. You said it was totally car oriented, which is flat-out untrue. You also conveniently omitted the fact that there are 2 train lines. You probably never ventured anywhere but Lenox Square to begin with.

Anyone that thinks Buckhead and Tysons are alike are totally unfamiliar with both.

Tysons is an overgrown Edge City with zero character, Buckhead is an actual neighborhood. What part of this do you not comprehend?
It's more so about the look, not the function. One thing is that Buckhead had Lenox Square, and across the street a more upscale Phipps Plaza. Tyson's Corner has Tyson's Corner Center, and Tyson's Galleria across the street. Buckhead definitely feels and functions more as a neighborhood within the city, while Tyson's Corner definitely feels like it's a suburb. The Shops Buckhead looks like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Buckhead feels like money, new money. I like the "new money" look and feel.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Bethesda and Arlington/Rosslyn serve as better comparisons to Buckhead than Tyson's Corner. Let's not forget that Buckhead is an entire district that comprises about 20% of Atlanta's city limits; it runs the gamut from single-family residential to highrise commercial, much like Bethesda and Arlington do. And like Perimeter Center, Tyson's Corner sprang from a shopping mall. And both were little more than a crossroads before the malls, unlike the other three.

Tyson's Corner and Perimeter Center:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyso...BZL-BAawu64GM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=peri...6ExkjmEGJzeKM:

Rosslyn, Bethesda and Buckhead:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ross...rjKMCj58abY1M:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beth...c2GW8rmdi3uXM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...ikmw8PpC6qxqM:
Atlanta is so pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.