Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Which cities did you live on the Coasts and in the Midwest? What were your experiences? I wasn't saying everybody on the Coasts thinks or acts that way, I was trying to saying a certain group of people has those attitudes. I went on a little rant in my post. I also said that people on the Midwest are willing to go more outside of their comfort zone because there are more people from the Midwest moving to or visiting other places as oppose to people on the Coasts. Also, I went by what I observed a few years ago when the RNC announced the chose Cleveland for 2016 Convention on how a lot of the Coasts and Beltway media made snarky remarks about Cleveland.
I've lived in LA County; Frederick, MD; and Newark, Delaware on the coasts; Champaign, IL in the midwest. I'm not interested in posting my bio on CD. They all had a general ignorance of anything outside of their own bubble.

As far as Cleveland, well, it's kind of the butt of jokes (undeservedly IMO) in the western PA/eastern Ohio area as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's very true. It seems like the larger the city you are from the worse your sense of geography is.

You will also see people post stuff about how they are scared or totally uninterested in exploring anything outside their bubble comfort zone.

I find it funny they will make fun of overwhelmed tourists in NYC but they can't handle visiting other, different places. I saw it all the time when I rented cars out of DFW.

Meanwhile you have folks like my mother who grew up on a farm in Iowa, and while she doesn't have any real interest in living in NYC or LA has visited before and could tell you the general location of things.

Then you have Mr coastal elite who cant tell you the location of Iowa exactly and will confuse it with Idaho and Indiana and just point to Nebraska on a map and make the excuse that "It isn't important" for his embarrassing ignorance.
The same applies to Chicagoans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 11,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
My dude doesn't have the best writing style and I wouldn't describe midwesterners as "calculated" but up til the part about the stares, he's not too far off. At least when it comes to white/whitewashed midwesterners.
THANK YOU.

Atleast you agree with a majority of what I stated to a degree

Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 869,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Minneapolis has always been a bit different from other midwestern cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc, because of its relative lack of the type of heavy industry that was present in those cities. The Twin Cities started as a grain processor center for southern Minnesota and the Dakotas, thus its reason for being was somewhat different. Also, Minneapolis-St. Paul, while having a reasonable dose of Catholicism, also has a considerable Lutheran influence, especially among its Scandinavian and German descendants ( although quite a few of the German-Americans are Catholic, too).

The Twin Cities are still very midwestern, but they seem slightly different when compared to their more industrial neighbors to the east...
I think the eastern (Great Lakes) and western (Plains) Midwest are pretty different. Minneapolis is the largest metro in the Plains Midwest, where heavy industry never took as much root and the economy is more driven by agriculture.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 PM

309 posts, read 303,166 times
That the Plains and Great Lakes are two separate regions.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
That the Plains and Great Lakes are two separate regions.
Do you not feel like they're different regions?

I realized they're both in the Census Bureau's definition of Midwest (to an extent), but Ohio has more in common with western PA and NY than it does with Nebraska or Kansas, which have more in common with Oklahoma or Colorado than they do Ohio. Because there are tons of commonalities among the Great Lakes states and Plains states even if they aren't designated as Midwest.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
The Northeast has two sub-regions too . New England and the Mid-Atlantic states. Whether some want to add a couple others as Mid-Atlantic too more south.

There is no reason the Midwest can't have two sub-regions too.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM

451 posts, read 359,206 times
I know that the census bureau puts the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas in the midwest, but frankly I think they belong with Oklahoma and classified as a "plains state." Eastern Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado are also plains areas.

The Midwest is Big 10 country. The plains states are Big 12 country. Then there is Missouri that can't make up its mind.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I know that the census bureau puts the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas in the midwest, but frankly I think they belong with Oklahoma and classified as a "plains state." Eastern Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado are also plains areas.

The Midwest is Big 10 country. The plains states are Big 12 country. Then there is Missouri that can't make up its mind.
Iowa is a transition from midwest to plains. The positioning of the respective universities (going Big 10/Big 12) within the state even reflects it.

A lot of Minnesota is Plains as well.

Missouri should still be in the Big 12. A lot of Missouri fans will admit as much.

The EPA has the Plains defined like this. I think it's pretty accurate. I live in that northeast corner of Iowa, very close to the line between Plains and eastern Woodlands, and you can very easily observe the transition while driving across that line.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 PM

15,973 posts, read 10,537,614 times
Coastal perceptions define the regions regardless of the true associations or geographic realities. People actually living in the Midwest might have different ideas. The “misconceptions” might depend on one’s perceptions. I have a hard time considering Ohio or West Virginia as Midwest states because of where I grew up. They seem too Eastern. The Dakotas and southward to Oklahoma seem more plains/western.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 PM

451 posts, read 359,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowa is a transition from midwest to plains. The positioning of the respective universities (going Big 10/Big 12) within the state even reflects it.

A lot of Minnesota is Plains as well.

Missouri should still be in the Big 12. A lot of Missouri fans will admit as much.

The EPA has the Plains defined like this. I think it's pretty accurate. I live in that northeast corner of Iowa, very close to the line between Plains and eastern Woodlands, and you can very easily observe the transition while driving across that line.
Agreed with you. I associate drier weather with the plains which is why I consider Iowa still midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.