Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
No, I can't...lol

Like I really can't; I'm an Afro-Latino, and you're White, so maybe that's plays in the different experiences? I don't know. I just can't see the glaring differences. As I said before, Birmingham has a bit larger Hispanic presence, but if we're talking about Racial Harmony, they're about on the same scale.
You hit the nail here. JM is a white guy so he’s only speaking from a white experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
most racially harmonious are probably Houston and San Diego.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
I guess its all relative, but no one can say they live in a purely racially harmonious city because that statement isnt true of any place on earth ever.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Atlanta - Atlanta is harmonious on a street level but in reality the black folks there are ok if the city was 100% black.
I'm not arguing that Atlanta is a contender here but I'm not sure how what you're saying (and there's no objective way to prove it) makes it a racially unharmonious place.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

This link shows the demographics of various cities in the 2010 census.

Western cities tend to be more integrated, but have more racial gang violence (Well California TBH). A city like Atlanta even as large as it is still has the shocking divide of North is for others, mostly White, and the Southern half is for Blacks with the exceptions of Peachtree City.

Houston's older areas the inner loop and areas immediately outside of it are pretty mono-racial. But the outer areas especially the SW area is incredibly diverse.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:42 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

This link shows the demographics of various cities in the 2010 census.

Western cities tend to be more integrated, but have more racial gang violence (Well California TBH). A city like Atlanta even as large as it is still has the shocking divide of North is for others, mostly White, and the Southern half is for Blacks with the exceptions of Peachtree City.

Houston's older areas the inner loop and areas immediately outside of it are pretty mono-racial. But the outer areas especially the SW area is incredibly diverse.
A lot of that has to do with the relatively bigger Asian and Hispanic populations.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
NYC is way more diverse than LA and I agree with your statement. LA is like 70 percent Mexican not that diverse.
According to data from the 2010 Census, there are 185 different languages spoken at home in Greater Los Angeles. New York metro, with a much larger population, had 192.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not all 185 languages are from Mexico. (eyeroll).

Old 04-22-2022, 12:07 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What racial tension in NYC? Are you talking about stuff that happened in the 80s and 90s?

If you're gonna bring up police brutality, that happens in every city and it seems like it's been a while since NYC had an incident anyway?
There are now racial tensions in NYC between the Asian community and black community, with many anti-Asian hate crimes and attacks being committed by African Americans in NYC recently. Let's not pretend that any city in the US, no matter how diverse or big, is immune from racial animosity. Sadly it exists everywhere

Old 04-22-2022, 03:46 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
There are now racial tensions in NYC between the Asian community and black community, with many anti-Asian hate crimes and attacks being committed by African Americans in NYC recently. Let's not pretend that any city in the US, no matter how diverse or big, is immune from racial animosity. Sadly it exists everywhere
Not sure how much of that is mental health related rather than some kind tension at the community level.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:11 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not sure how much of that is mental health related rather than some kind tension at the community level.
It would be one thing if it were isolated incidents or mental health related, but the attacks seem calculated and deliberately racially motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.