Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Too Expensive 23 16.67%
Too Much Snow 5 3.62%
Too Cold 12 8.70%
Too Hot 5 3.62%
Too Humid 3 2.17%
Too Urban 1 0.72%
Too Rural 4 2.90%
Too Liberal 11 7.97%
Too Conservative 23 16.67%
Too Religious 3 2.17%
Not Religious Enough 1 0.72%
No Sense of Community 1 0.72%
Not compatible with the local prevalent culture 5 3.62%
Not enough fun things to do 4 2.90%
Don't like the scenery 4 2.90%
Don't like the food 0 0%
Hard to live without a car / not walkable enough 9 6.52%
Too hard to live with a car 1 0.72%
Don't have the right jobs 7 5.07%
Pay is too low 0 0%
Weird laws (i.e. blue laws, cannabis, etc.) 0 0%
Not on the coast 2 1.45%
On the coast 0 0%
High natural disaster risk 2 1.45%
Too much traffic 1 0.72%
Hard to get in and out of (due to isolation, lack of airports/highways, etc.) 0 0%
People are too stuck up 4 2.90%
People are too judgemental 1 0.72%
Not a good place for a single person (of your gender) to find a mate 1 0.72%
Other 5 3.62%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What city do you live in?
I live near DC, within its urban area. For the most part, it is a good place to live. But there is a criminal illegal immigrant problem here including MS-13 and other gangs.

I believe that illegal immigration is the most divisive issue in America over the last 25 years. Looking forward to that Great Wall getting built. Time to stop this lawlessness in America's great cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times
High cost of living, extreme climate and susceptibility to natural disasters are deal breakers for me. That said, parts of the Atlanta metro area were just hit by a series of tornadoes earlier this week. But tornadoes are generally random events with very concentrated geographic impacts. I would be more worried about coastal flooding in metro Houston and parts of Florida, fires in many areas of California, and persistent subzero wind chills in many northern tier locations.

Politics are not really a deal breaker either way, but I prefer relatively moderate areas over the extremes like San Francisco on the left or certain rural areas on the right. The inner to middle ring suburbs of Atlanta where I live are very balanced.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:21 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Weather can be a big dealbreaker. I would never live someplace like Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston or Buffalo!!! Never.

I would PREFER to not live in too liberal of an area but I could still live someplace like Austin, Denver, etc if I had to, perhaps not with the California or New York kind of yuppie liberals though. Also I would find it hard to mvoe someplace where I don't know anyone.

Also would not move to an area where English is not the predominant language and where American culture doesn't predominate, like Miami or South Texas. A place like this would also have too many cultural differences to surmount, and most likely have a lot of crime and drugs and would be hard to find a mate given cultural differences, etc.
What is "American culture?" Why are you unable to surmount differences between yourself and others? Why do you assume communities of color would be havens for crime and drugs? In reality, the places overrun with crime and drugs are often poor predominantly white rural towns.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:09 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
I cannot believe a list that includes "too much religion" did not also list "too much crime."

We lived in what was a very nice area of Charlotte until the government ruined it by what was called the 235 plan. We changed from a nice neighborhood to a crime ridden area where there were seven murders within a mile of our home in a year. This neighborhood is now known for its gangs. We see Hidden Valley on the five O'clock news many times still as we live very comfortably in the adjoining county. Best thing we ever did was to leave the crooked government that destroys lives city. Next poster will tell you how it has changed. NO IT HAS NOT!

Last edited by NCN; 03-24-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 AM

494 posts, read 285,564 times
High crime is the big one for me. I once moved to an area that I didn't realize had a high crime rate and lasted 1 week. I ended up walking out and forfeiting all my security, rent, etc..... Made a believer out of me!!! I feel so lucky I was able to walk away from there, but will never forget that a lot of people can't afford to do that.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Weather can be a big dealbreaker. I would never live someplace like Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston or Buffalo!!! Never.

I would PREFER to not live in too liberal of an area but I could still live someplace like Austin, Denver, etc if I had to, perhaps not with the California or New York kind of yuppie liberals though. Also I would find it hard to mvoe someplace where I don't know anyone.

Also would not move to an area where English is not the predominant language and where American culture doesn't predominate, like Miami or South Texas. A place like this would also have too many cultural differences to surmount, and most likely have a lot of crime and drugs and would be hard to find a mate given cultural differences, etc.
1. South Texas is pretty American, unless you're talking about the border.

2. Diversity is what makes us great.

3. Aren't you Asian?

I prefer liberal areas because of people like you.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Since you could only choose one in the poll, I chose too cold. But my definition of too cold is any place that is below Hardiness Zone 9A if east of the Rockies or 8B if west of the Rockies. In layman's terms, if Washingtonia fan palms aren't all over, it's too cold for me.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

3. Aren't you Asian?

I assume by "South Texas" that he means the RGV

Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

3. Aren't you Asian?

Exactly, what's so unAmerican about San Antonio and Austin?

Same thing with South Florida.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I assume by "South Texas" that he means the RGV
Even there, the US born people all speak English and follow American culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.