Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not true, whites, blacks, and Latinos often speak differentlt

Pretty much lol

We say "cawfee" more so than "cwofee"

Well I bet the Hispanic people there sound a little different on average from the white people.
If they came from Mexico or somewhere in Central/South America. If US born, they sound like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
different parts of Texas have different accents
Even not counting the neutral accent of many transplants in Texas, I definitely think there are 2 or more distinct accents among the natives in Texas. East Texas as more of the traditional Southern accent while West Texas seems closer to the type of accent you found in old Western movies and is spoken in rural parts of the Western states like Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, California, Washington, etc (not sure what it's called but you'll definitely recognize it when it's spoken.)

Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Even not counting the neutral accent of many transplants in Texas, I definitely think there are 2 or more distinct accents among the natives in Texas. East Texas as more of the traditional Southern accent while West Texas seems closer to the type of accent you found in old Western movies and is spoken in rural parts of the Western states like Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, California, Washington, etc (not sure what it's called but you'll definitely recognize it when it's spoken.)
The old "Cowboy" accent.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Pretty much every state with a significant enough population over a great enough distance.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If they came from Mexico or somewhere in Central/South America. If US born, they sound like everyone else.
Not true necessarily, I think Hispanics can have unique accents even if they were born in the US.

For example, the girl at :52 in this video is presumably a New York born Hispanic, but I think she sounds more like a Chicana from LA than either a white or black New Yorker. I'm not sure how it is in Colorado and Wyoming, but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing exists out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wFW4WpMxk

Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM

^^Since I live in Colorado, and have also known Hispanics from Wyoming, I'd say that the vast majority of US born Hispanics in those two states talk like everyone else.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Since I live in Colorado, and have also known Hispanics from Wyoming, I'd say that the vast majority of US born Hispanics in those two states talk like everyone else.

Its the same for nearly any non-native speaker

Europeans, Asians etc.

If they move before say age 4-5 and go to school in English speaking schools and assimilate somewhat they lose the accent in English

those that move say after 7/8 generally retain some accent as sounding more like English as a second language

that is across the board for just about anyone or from anywhere

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its the same for nearly any non-native speaker

Europeans, Asians etc.

If they move before say age 4-5 and go to school in English speaking schools and assimilate somewhat they lose the accent in English

those that move say after 7/8 generally retain some accent as sounding more like English as a second language

that is across the board for just about anyone or from anywhere
Agreed, but the comment was about Hispanics in Colorado and Wyoming (at the risk of sounding repetitive).

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,647 times
Alaska. Many different variants between the southeast and southwest sides, along with isolated religious communities and their particular linguistics (usually a lot of Russian spoken, but not always). The main Alaskan accent is like a west coast sound withbsome Canadian and midwesternisms in there. It’s hard to describe but kind of like slow Oregonian.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
NJ is quite different. Northern part is influenced by NYC while the southern part is influenced by Philadelphia. The difference is very noticeable and I had no idea till I spent a year in south jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.