Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
NJ is quite different. Northern part is influenced by NYC while the southern part is influenced by Philadelphia. The difference is very noticeable and I had no idea till I spent a year in south jersey.
It seems outside of the NE esepecially people associate the Philly accent with that of NYC, they are dramtically different on structure and form though do share a few common colloquialisms it kind of ends there

they are rhotic and non rhotic as is the stark contrast of North and South Jersey you reference, and it literally changes in like two miles

Philly and Baltimore are far closer on construct than Philly and NYC (just Baltimore a little more draw but the same construct) Also Peninsula SF natives have a nearly identical structure to the Philly accent its like an Island

Cinci takes a Philly structure and adds in KY a bit

Cleveland is NYC driven (Ohio has a drastic change rom Cleveland to Cinci as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It seems outside of the NE esepecially people associate the Philly accent with that of NYC, they are dramtically different on structure and form though do share a few common colloquialisms it kind of ends there

they are rhotic and non rhotic as is the stark contrast of North and South Jersey you reference, and it literally changes in like two miles

Philly and Baltimore are far closer on construct than Philly and NYC (just Baltimore a little more draw but the same construct) Also Peninsula SF natives have a nearly identical structure to the Philly accent its like an Island

Cinci takes a Philly structure and adds in KY a bit

Cleveland is NYC driven (Ohio has a drastic change rom Cleveland to Cinci as well)
NYC is rhotic too nowadays, thay old school mobster accent is pretty much dead

Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
I'd be interested to know if anyone here has noticed (or maybe thinks) that people here in Arizona have an accent. Just wondering, because I remember talking to a guy in Canada on the phone, and he told me I had a really cute accent. (He never got into detail about it though)

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Since I live in Colorado, and have also known Hispanics from Wyoming, I'd say that the vast majority of US born Hispanics in those two states talk like everyone else.
Are you sure about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sti-SBOrg_E

Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not true, whites, blacks, and Latinos often speak differentlt

We say "cawfee" more so than "cwofee"

I think he's just referencing the general NYC accent, while the accent(mostly) is dying, plenty of people above the age of 40 especially working class folks speak in that accent. It's not dead yet.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Alaska. Many different variants between the southeast and southwest sides, along with isolated religious communities and their particular linguistics (usually a lot of Russian spoken, but not always). The main Alaskan accent is like a west coast sound withbsome Canadian and midwesternisms in there. It’s hard to describe but kind of like slow Oregonian.
I’ve wondered where Alaska accents come from since Sarah Palin come on the scene. She sounds somewhat upper midwestern to me. Very Wisconsin or Michigan....youbetcha

Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Florida. The further south you go, the more northern the accent.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that?
Pretty sure. I don't know what that video is supposed to "prove". You dont' know where those people were born. 24% of Hispanics in Colorado are foreign-born, with about 75% of them being born in Mexico.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:

For example, the girl at :52 in this video is presumably a New York born Hispanic, but I think she sounds more like a Chicana from LA than either a white or black New Yorker. I'm not sure how it is in Colorado and Wyoming, but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing exists out there.
She has a totally different accent than the Dominican guy. Presumably because she is a Mexican-American whose accent was influenced by her family and the M-A community in Corona.

Quote:
^^Since I live in Colorado, and have also known Hispanics from Wyoming, I'd say that the vast majority of US born Hispanics in those two states talk like everyone else.
Come down to New Mexico. There are at least three different New Mexican Spanish accents (spoken by people who have lived in situ for 4 centuries), not including the accents of Mexican nationals or other Spanish speaking populations. Hell, even a lot of white people from the Valley (middle Rio Grande) have the Valley accent.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure. I don't know what that video is supposed to "prove". You dont' know where those people were born. 24% of Hispanics in Colorado are foreign-born, with about 75% of them being born in Mexico.
Well I doubt all of the people in the video are foreign born
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.