Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 6,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And pardon me for making a judgement on your life desires, but I just did a Google map search of your location, and I have no idea why you would want to move from there!
Well, it's actually kinda hard to explain.
Point is I know I live in one of the best places you could possibly find in Europe as far as landscapes and nature are concerned thanks to some of the most famous and beautiful mountains in the world, but to be young in this little valley is not as easy as it seems.

To let you understand, Comelico is basically made of little villages connected with one another that form this valley (all told there's around 5k souls that live here); there are many problems though as our zone has been sort of forgotten by the government and the politicians which basically means everything is just dying out. Young people are leaving as there aren't many job opportunities and the future is all but bright.
We're only living out of tourism but due to lack of money contributions, all the structures such as hotels and main centers cannot keep the pace of the ones in Trentino Alto-Adige (which is the neighbouring region, where I work).

If you study or get a degree you must move in order to find a job and the whole situation has been getting worse in the last period.
As a tourist Comelico is a must to visit in the North-East and is just as wonderful as you could possibly imagine (I suggest you to check out a video on Youtube to get a taste of what it is - look for example for "Flying on the Dolomites" whose shots were almost all taken in the area where I live) but to live here isn't a joke.

Of course I will be back in the valley in the next years, but for now all I have in mind is travelling and discovering new cultures around the globe.

A positive aspect is that there's a new wave that has lately grown here which wants to bring back the glory of the past years, but they're getting no help from the authorities as there's actually no money for anything and that is unfortunately what it's all about in this historical period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you're even just half-way decent looking, you should have no problems finding eligible American women willing to marry you! Have you looked into mail-order American brides?

Just marry some American, tell her you will eventually move back to Italy with her (even if you won't) and apply for a green card, problem solved.
I hadn't even actually thought of that I guess I won't but hey, you never know right?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Come for an extended vacation, & see how you like it, maybe meet someone. It would of course be illegal to take any cash jobs, but people do it all the time. It also may not live up to your dreams. Moving to a city in Italy might be a better choice.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comelgoson View Post
Well, it's actually kinda hard to explain...
I suppose I can understand that. But as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of places elsewhere in Italy and Europe that will have better opportunities for a young person like yourself. Given the difficulty of immigrating to the US, you might want to pursue those possibilities first.

You could also decide to start your own business where you live!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Stay in Europe. America is in decline and seems to have little hope of turning that around in the near term at least.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 AM

23 posts, read 24,032 times
Haha, Europe is in decline since earlier than the USA. More no go zones.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Stay in Europe. America is in decline and seems to have little hope of turning that around in the near term at least.
Or go to Australia or New Zealand, I thought both allow people with an EU Passport (maybe it's only certain EU countries) to get work visas quite easily, but I might be wrong.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:04 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comelgoson View Post
Hi everyone! My name is Alessandro, I’m 21 and come from a little village in the North of Italy. As in the title, I’m writing this post because I need your help: I want to move to the USA and start a new life there.

Over the last year I’ve been working and saving money and by the time I’ll have dropped my job (which I plan to do by the end of May/beginning of June since I wanna leave during summer) I’ll have around 15k euros on my bank account (around $18k according to actual change).
With that said here comes the thing: my wish is to live on the West Coast (California is definitely my favorite destination) and more specifically in the Bay Area but my doubt is whether I can make it or not with my strting budget. I googled a bit and read some previous posts on this forum and of course SF is already off the list as one of the most expensive cities in the whole region (maybe even in the whole country) so I was kind of focusing on the suburbs like Berkeley, Oakland, San Rafael or Richmond, where life costs seem to be lower and more affordable and yet the districts look pretty nice and not rough.
I’m open to any advice though for if I couldn’t make it to live at least 3 months (theoretically without incomes) in the Bay Area I would reasonably look for another place (again possibly on the West Coast/Caifornia).

As far as my job experience is concerned, I graduated in 2016 in foreign languages ( I can speak Italian, English, Spanish and German if that may help you recommend me something) and since then I worked as a waiter for one season, then as a translator at international events and over the last 12 months as a receptionist (both front and back-office) at a internationally-recognized structure which is both campsite and spa-hotel.

The accomodation type is no big deal for me as I've got no problems living with other people as well as on my own.
I’d be really thankful if any of you could give me any advice on where I shoud move with my budget and if there's any specific city or place that I could kinda adapt good to.
Thank you very much for reading till here and hopefully for replying.
Anywhere in the San Francisco/San Jose area is going to be extremely expensive. The whole west coast is pretty expensive. Visiting would be good, but living there would be a big challenge. Good luck just the same in whatever you decide to do.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:52 PM

I've thought of it lately as a better starting move to sort of get confident with the whole environment. That would maybe give me the chance to also consider in a more prudent way whether definitively moving is or isn't the right choice.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I suppose I can understand that. But as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of places elsewhere in Italy and Europe that will have better opportunities for a young person like yourself. Given the difficulty of immigrating to the US, you might want to pursue those possibilities first.

You could also decide to start your own business where you live!
I think right now is actually a bit too diffiuclt to start up my own business but I've already discussed about that with couple of friends of mine, might be an opportunity in the future.

I'll re-evaluate the chance of moving to somewhere in Italy or Europe first to make some experience, as it could be very good in order to "prepare" for U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.