Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times

Advertisements

I am a bit biased, but the Duluth Metro area and Lake Superior North-shore will be the truest nature experience with a Great Lake. Lake Superior is the biggest, prettiest (my opinion), and wildest of the lakes. The UP of Michigan is a good choice too, but you know my bias

Duluth is also a great place with all of the city-like amenities without hectic traffic. September weather is also pristine. It is relatively easy to get to via plane. You can fly to Duluth International Airport or Minneapolis and drive 2.5 hours on I-35. If you want to check out the Cities, that is optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
But the lakes are warm, in September even if it's colder than the normal high of 75-77 it'll still be in the 70's, easily the 80's, and feel quite summerlike. You don't get those "chills" coming through until October for the most part. Even November can be very nice to be outside.

I would definitely say go to western Michigan. So many cute little vacation towns. I love Saugatuck.
Oh I didn't mean that in a bad way. I believe May and September are the best months for weather. Usually not too hot, not too cold, not too much rain, no snow, both a pretty sunny overall.

I was just stating that unlike let's say July which is guaranteed warm to hot, at times May and September can veer off it's normal temps. Not typical but also not rare.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I am a bit biased, but the Duluth Metro area and Lake Superior North-shore will be the truest nature experience with a Great Lake. Lake Superior is the biggest, prettiest (my opinion), and wildest of the lakes. The UP of Michigan is a good choice too, but you know my bias

Duluth is also a great place with all of the city-like amenities without hectic traffic. September weather is also pristine. It is relatively easy to get to via plane. You can fly to Duluth International Airport or Minneapolis and drive 2.5 hours on I-35. If you want to check out the Cities, that is optional.

one of the great nature spectacles occurs each fall as tens-of-thousands of raptors migrate thru the skies of Duluth. Peaking in mid September and on some days totaling 1000's of birds, all clearly visible from Hawk Ridge. Volunteers meet with visitors and provide instruction and if you're lucky will take you down to their blinds where raptors are caught and banded and released. Mrs G was lucky enough to release this Northern Harrier after a visit to the banding area.

(my photo)

https://www.hawkridge.org/birds-migr...the-migration/

Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 PM

44 posts, read 43,498 times
Traverse City and the surrounding area in September is like heaven on earth. I cannot talk it up enough. The weather is normally almost perfect in September. You are close to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park, the many wineries of Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas, and basically Traverse City is foodie heaven. Lots of orchards, farm to table restaurants, and of course Cherry Republic.

The colors of the trees are starting to change that time of year, but the water is still warm and the summer activities are still going strong. You can tube down the Platte River, which is basically a crystal clear stream that flows over a riverbed of sand. Really fun. And of course there is Lake Michigan and the fishing villages near Leland. One of America's scenic treasures, and yet it still is below the radar to many outside the Midwest.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Mackinac Island, Boyne City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Leland, Traverse City, Leland, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Frankfort, Ludington, and Pentwater are very nice places to visit. If too far of a drive, then the Gold Coast (New Buffalo up to Grand Haven) have a lot of things to do.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
All such great recommendations here. But if you wanted to see downtown Chicago OP .... while in the area. You can kayak on the Chicago river along its river-walk and canyon of skyscrapers. Still a great time in a big city.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.