Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:57 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am curious why someone would want to move into the same size house and pay more for it or the same size lot and pay more for it? Or move from the country where people are normal and move into a place where people are strange and act crazy? Just saying. We have had several people move into our area from Asheville because they say it is no longer a good place to raise children. It has too many strange people and panhandlers. But if that is your cup of tea? Go for it!
Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am curious why someone would want to move into the same size house and pay more for it or the same size lot and pay more for it? Or move from the country where people are normal and move into a place where people are strange and act crazy? Just saying. We have had several people move into our area from Asheville because they say it is no longer a good place to raise children. It has too many strange people and panhandlers. But if that is your cup of tea? Go for it!
Many people enjoy having the amenities and vibrancy of a city at their fingertips. Frankly, I don't consider a lot of people in the country to be "normal," particularly after the 2016 election. The overwhelmingly religious and conservative monoculture of rural America is intellectually stifling and I'd almost rather be dead than have to experience that day in and day out. Also, having a large house is a massive pain in the ass with wasted space and upkeep. But, like you say, if you want that, have at it.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Many people enjoy having the amenities and vibrancy of a city at their fingertips. Frankly, I don't consider a lot of people in the country to be "normal," particularly after the 2016 election. The overwhelmingly religious and conservative monoculture of rural America is intellectually stifling and I'd almost rather be dead than have to experience that day in and day out. Also, having a large house is a massive pain in the ass with wasted space and upkeep. But, like you say, if you want that, have at it.
Totally agree here. It seems that people just like having large homes to just brag about it, accept for those who actually do need it (lots of kids maybe)

I’m a big fan of condos and overall I couldn’t imagine myself being committed to all the upkeep’s of a large house in suburbia!

Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Basically every urban city in the South; Richmond, New Orleans, Miami. Also Atlanta, Austin and Nashville.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Totally agree here. It seems that people just like having large homes to just brag about it, accept for those who actually do need it (lots of kids maybe)

I’m a big fan of condos and overall I couldn’t imagine myself being committed to all the upkeep’s of a large house in suburbia!
Agreed

Old 03-28-2018, 05:58 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
I don't think Dallas ranks high on these lists because Central Dallas has been nice for many years so it's not necessarily gentrifying, but it is becoming more dense. There are closer in areas that are gentrifying quite a bit thought, Old East Dallas, North Oak Cliff, West Dallas, Little Mexico, The Cedars and so on. Once you get past those areas it becomes nice again.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,337,548 times
I LOVE my acre and a half! Particularly beautiful this time of year with my azaleas and dogwoods! Then, there is the summer to come with hydrangeas and roses! All in the shade of the 49 trees that grace my yard. Glad you enjoy your "density", though; they DO say that variety is the spice of life! ;0)

Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Basically every urban city in the South; Richmond, New Orleans, Miami. Also Atlanta, Austin and Nashville.
... and lots of small towns as well.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... and lots of small towns as well.
You mean suburbs and exurbs? Because outside of that I don't think that's the case, perhaps a few select college towns being exceptions.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Charlotte, Orlando, Raleigh, Tampa, St. Petersburg, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.