Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 09:30 PM

9,735 posts, read 6,367,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Not that landing headquarters are much of a benefit to metros anyway, but Market Cap is such an iffy metric.
It's one of the worst metric in the book to measure companies IMO. As if the stock market isn't known to fluctuate. Especially right now as we are transitioning to a post COVID world where there's a plethora of both over and undervalued companies. How this is the metric to use, a December 31st, 2020 market cap. This is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 PM

1,803 posts, read 920,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Austin isn't a corporate city though. It's finally becoming one, but it ism't a full corporate city just yet. It's a tech hub yes, but that's not the same thing. When Apple built the 5k employee Mac development campus, they didn't take the company there with them.
That is the point. Still on C-D the growth is already claimed. Still these headquarters are not having Austin incubate the start-ups as elsewhere and relocations are new plants and offices over a total full scale moving of headquarters? Tesla did not.... though Musk threat is always there now wanting California to give in to him or else.... Building plants for cheaper salaries and probably less benefits and lower regulation to have to follow along with incentives Federal, State and Local.... all work for the perfect storm.... for gaining from the West Coast in relocated expansions or new plants and offices. Many re-locations do have the down-sizing element also.

Still all favor Texas and the hype is some have a desire it to surpass California in population and growing GDP. Time will tell. I do not expect California to drop off the map. Nor taken over by Mexico or China. Politically, it has plenty of negative on C-D. Certainly, climate is really not a factor in moving out of California by far.... it does get hyped from the North.

Last edited by NoHyping; 01-03-2021 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 09:43 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,173,716 times
Quote:
It's one of the worst metric in the book to measure companies IMO. As if the stock market isn't known to fluctuate. Especially right now as we are transitioning to a post COVID world where there's a plethora of both over and undervalued companies. How this is the metric to use, a December 31st, 2020 market cap. This is beyond me.
You keep repeating this like your life depends on it. Lol.

Plenty of people look at market cap and I already posted Fidelity's definition on it, The Financial Times of England's ranking of world companies is called the FT Global 500 and it's by market cap.

You might dislike it(why I have no clue) but we will keep posting data on the subject as we see fit.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You keep repeating this like your life depends on it. Lol.

Plenty of people look at market cap and I already posted Fidelity's definition on it, The Financial Times of England's ranking of world companies is called the FT Global 500 and it's by market cap.

You might dislike it(why I have no clue) but we will keep posting data on the subject as we see fit.
I don't dislike it. I love the inaccuracy of the stock market. If it weren't so inaccurate, we wouldn't be able to profit off of it. That response was to someone else who agrees on it being a bad metric, I didn't say it out of no where.

Fidelity gives an accurate definition for market cap. That's just about all of the accuracy found in the definition. Fidelity doesn't say anywhere that market cap is an accurate measurement for company size. Because if they did, it would be a lie. A few months from now the "very accurate" list will look entirely different. Overvalued stocks will be out, undervalued stocks will be in.

And are you saying that because financial releases a list of market cap companies, this makes this the perfect metric? So if I find another magazine using another metric, say, I don't know, the Fortune 500, does this make them right? It's a long debate on what metric is correct for what are the largest businesses, and there's no proof that a valuation of public companies combined with human perception. Nothing here shows how this metric is accurate. Speaking of public companies, there are privates that are almost as big as some of the largest public companies in the world. But those won't appear on market cap by design. Yet this is the dream metric for measuring company size?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:01 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Not that landing headquarters are much of a benefit to metros anyway, but Market Cap is such an iffy metric.
Corporate headquarters are very beneficial to a city when it comes to civic matters/philanthropy if nothing else.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,737,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Corporate headquarters are very beneficial to a city when it comes to civic matters/philanthropy if nothing else.
Philanthropy isn't a given.
And even then some are tons more giving them others

Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,173,716 times
Quote:
I don't dislike it. I love the inaccuracy of the stock market. If it weren't so inaccurate, we wouldn't be able to profit off of it. That response was to someone else who agrees on it being a bad metric, I didn't say it out of no where.

Fidelity gives an accurate definition for market cap. That's just about all of the accuracy found in the definition. Fidelity doesn't say anywhere that market cap is an accurate measurement for company size. Because if they did, it would be a lie. A few months from now the "very accurate" list will look entirely different. Overvalued stocks will be out, undervalued stocks will be in.

And are you saying that because financial releases a list of market cap companies, this makes this the perfect metric? So if I find another magazine using another metric, say, I don't know, the Fortune 500, does this make them right? It's a long debate on what metric is correct for what are the largest businesses, and there's no proof that a valuation of public companies combined with human perception. Nothing here shows how this metric is accurate. Speaking of public companies, there are privates that are almost as big as some of the largest public companies in the world. But those won't appear on market cap by design. Yet this is the dream metric for measuring company size?
Use whatever metric you like, there is no right or wrong answer-we are weighing different things and that's fine, right?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:44 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Philanthropy isn't a given.
And even then some are tons more giving them others
A positive correlation between the addition and retention of corporate headquarters and corporate philanthropy definitely exists. It's not always in the name of the corporations themselves but many times due to their highly-compensated management and other employees in an individual capacity.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ocal_charities

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/b...lanthropy.html

Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,737,696 times
I know it definitely exists. I said it isn't guaranteed.
And when they do give some might change a town, others may paint a mural every now and then.

But what I was getting at was a direct, measurable annualbenefit.

We brag about who has the most head quarters, and whose company is worth more and on and on.

I am more interested in hard numbers.
Like what effect these relocations have on area GDP

Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 PM

I’m not going to say it’s a given. But companies with long presence in a city as a headquarters do generally invest in their Home community. HPE dropped a sizable donation to UH to build a data science institute right before announcing its move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.