Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM

192 posts, read 411,949 times

Advertisements

Lower michigan vs upper michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
North vs. South Jersey is certainly one. Not really a city rivalry -- more like a regional rivalry. For all our differences, we could be different states; people who think New Jersey is uniform are very wrong. People in South Jersey don't care too much for North Jersey in general, and I guess people in North Jersey feel the same for us.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Albuquerque and Santa Fe are very different and feel worlds apart in some aspects, though they don't really have an agressive rivalry. I think Southern New Mexico has more of a rivalry.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...therm-new.html

Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
Lower michigan vs upper michigan

Michigan is quite divided, we also have west Michigan vs east Michigan, we have metro Detroit vs Michigan, and in upper Michigan you also have eastern UP vs western UP. The biggest one though is Michigan vs metro Detroit.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Quote:
Missouri has KC vs. STL, but it is a rivalry that only they care about. for Rural Missouri, it is usually the Ozarks vs. Everyone else, while no one pays attention to the bootheel or far northern MO.
No offense but no one cares about the ozarks either. I mean there is only a milion people in the ozarks compared to 2.0 million urban in stl and 1.5 millinon urban in kansas city. lets face it the majority of missouri cares about stl vs kansas city rivalry

Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I'm in DC metro area and DC doesn't care about anyone but itself, what's more I don't see any real rivalry between NoVa and the rest of the state.
This is so untrue. The DC metro area has rivalries on many levels:

- between DC proper, the Maryland suburbs and NOVA

- within DC proper itself between northwest DC and northeast/southeast

- between DC and Baltimore

- between NOVA and the rest of virginia (referred to as ROVA)

- between central Maryland and the rest of Maryland

Plus, West Virginia is considered something of a red-headed step-child in the region. So is inner Prince George's County in Maryland.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
New York features a rivalry (more like a subdued war) between upstate and the New York City metropolitan area. But it doesn't shock anyone around here, mainly because it's been going on for nearly 300 years.

NYC vs LI vs Upstate NY vs Western NY is more accurate.

Let me also be clear here and note that theres a generation of 20-30 somethings from Upstate clamoring for NYC because Upstate has no jobs, ****tier weather, etc.

Your perceived issue is more political minded between old big whigs in Upstate NY that dont represent the youth at large. The same city vs rural mindset you find anywhere else.

I grew up Upstate, and in my life, ive come across very few people who disliked NYC, or any major cities for that matter. I actually experienced envy. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I don't think New York has any city rivalries, although Rochester seems to think it's better than its neighbor cities...

The classic NY rivalry, of course, is Upstate vs. Downstate.

Buffalo in my experiences has a major arrogance problem with other cities in NY, even NYC, which is for obvious reasons, is hilarious.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Buffalo in my experiences has a major arrogance problem with other cities in NY, even NYC, which is for obvious reasons, is hilarious.
Yeah, but the guy you replied to who said Rochester is totally spot on. Rochesterians do think that their city is better than all others, myself included. I always feel a sense of pride when I pull out statistics portraying Rochester in a positive light. As Urban Dictionary said "When you live there, you criticize it. When you leave, you defend it. In other words, home."

It's a Rochester thing

Old 08-26-2012, 01:42 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
No offense but no one cares about the ozarks either. I mean there is only a milion people in the ozarks compared to 2.0 million urban in stl and 1.5 millinon urban in kansas city. lets face it the majority of missouri cares about stl vs kansas city rivalry
I'm not from the ozarks so none taken, but people from my part of the state don't really even think about KC and they occasionally think about St. Louis. I didn't even know there was a rivalry until I went to school in Rolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.