Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:37 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Oh yeah, the Wichita Mountains. Perhaps the most interesting because you simply don't expect them to be there, in a place like that. Very unique area.
Yes, we lived not far from there for several years, and used to hike in the Wichita Mountains. Pretty area.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ozarks. My grandparents lived on Table Rock Lake on the Missouri/Arkansas border for 25 years, having retired there in the late 1960s. I spent several weeks there every summer as a kid. I have a lot of very fond memories of time spent there.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-01-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
So everybody knows about the Appalachian and Rocky mountain ranges, the two dominant mountain ranges of North America. However, lying in the Midwestern US and part of the western south are a few lesser known low-mountain ranges/hill country.

In the upper Midwest sit the eastern Sawtooths (not to be confused with the much more popular Idaho Sawtooths) in Minnesota and the Michigan UP, as well the Driftless area that escaped glaciation more than once, shared by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

In the lower Midwest and western south sit the Ozarks and Quachita mountains. The Ozarks are admittedly the best known of these four regions, but shockingly they are often forgotten in conversation these days. The Ozarks sit in Missouri, (a tiny bit of) Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, with the neighboring Quachita shared between Arkansas and Oklahoma.

With the Midwest generally being defined as flat, these areas go relatively un-noticed by the general public.

So here's the question; whether you just learned about these places now or knew about them previously (perhaps personally), which do you personally prefer the natural beauty of? Or in general, which region do you feel provides the best hunting/fishing or even home-lifestyle?

I personally believe they are all fairly comparable in both landscape and obscurity, and more or less wished to bring them up.

Discuss!

Driftless - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

Eastern Sawtooths - (Sadly, there does not seem to be a wiki article on them. Google search will do though!)

Ozarks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

Quachita - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_Mountains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtoo...ins_(Minnesota)

Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Didn't know that the UP Michigan mountains were also considered the Sawtooths. I thought the Sawtooths were just in MN.
Does this mean that the Porcupine Mtns. are a range among the Sawtooths or are they separate?

Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Didn't know that the UP Michigan mountains were also considered the Sawtooths. I thought the Sawtooths were just in MN.
Does this mean that the Porcupine Mtns. are a range among the Sawtooths or are they separate?
As far as I know with what little information I could find a while ago, they are all geologically related. Yet another scattered bit of the dramatically disassembled Canadian Shield.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
As far as I know with what little information I could find a while ago, they are all geologically related. Yet another scattered bit of the dramatically disassembled Canadian Shield.
Yup, that's what I thought. I'd never seen the small mountains in the UP labeled Sawtooth.

So, Sawtooth = Canadian Shield; Porcupines = Canadian Shield; Sawtooth =/= Porcupines.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 PM

515 posts, read 558,087 times
All 3 have similar features and are very underrated IMO

Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM

162 posts, read 155,219 times
Quote:

Driftless - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

Eastern Sawtooths - (Sadly, there does not seem to be a wiki article on them. Google search will do though!)

Ozarks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

Quachita - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_Mountains
I couldn't find a wiki article including Michigan at all, but this one is specifically for the Sawtooths in MN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtoo...ns_(Minnesota)

This is for the Porcupine Mountains in MI - There is some confusion about if they are the same as the Sawtooths... I'm not sure, but I believe these two wiki articles will show you what the OP was talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine_Mountains

It looks like geologically, they formed the same way (as is depicted in the Sawtooth article), but technically have different names?

Last edited by FloatOn; 04-04-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
I grew up near the Ouachitas of Oklahoma, and visit every so often because of family. Beautiful area!

Old 04-04-2018, 03:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
You actually picked 4 places I've lived!

The Sawtooths are mostly coniferous forest, which to me isn't as pretty as a coniferous forest. It also seemed to me to be more "scrubby" in places due to wildfires and wind/snow storms and the sandy soil. It's more "wild" than any of the other places, and less populated by humans. I frequently saw bear and wolves and other dangerous critters near my home. I lived up there for 8 years, and actually preferred the beauty of the forest in wintertime to other seasons.

The Driftless is more gently beautiful. The forest is mixed with farmland and valleys. Unfortunately, it has been rapidly getting too much population in recent years. You haven't yet learned what locals know: "Shhhhh! Don't ever mention the Driftless to outsiders!" And I'm serious about this. So, never mind! Nothing to see here! Move away. Outsiders can visit briefly, but not stay.

The Ozarks, to me, are so beautiful because of the dense deciduous forest. However (and I lived in Arkansas for 4 years, so can say this quite truthfully) the humans who live there live up to every negative stereotype. Lack of education, lack of good health care, inbreeding and crazy hard core religiousness have all combined to create a human population which is just gross, to be avoided by normal human beings.

The Ouachita are similarly beautiful, and less populated by humans (although populated by the same kind of humans I described in the above.) It really is an area most Americans don't know about, so there are more huge areas that feel as though they haven't been touched by human hand. The area feels less touristy and more "natural" than the Ozarks.

If I were to pick one of these places to go as a tourist, I'd pick the Ouachitas because of the beauty and fewer tourists. If I were to return to one of these places to live, and if I could pick to remove the existing humans who live there (and that's VERY important) I would pick the Ouachitas. But based on the reality of the human factor, I'd pick the Dri..... (what? there's no such place. It doesn't exist. Never mind.)

Old 04-04-2018, 04:24 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You actually picked 4 places I've lived!

The Sawtooths are mostly coniferous forest, which to me isn't as pretty as a coniferous forest. It also seemed to me to be more "scrubby" in places due to wildfires and wind/snow storms and the sandy soil. It's more "wild" than any of the other places, and less populated by humans. I frequently saw bear and wolves and other dangerous critters near my home. I lived up there for 8 years, and actually preferred the beauty of the forest in wintertime to other seasons.

The Driftless is more gently beautiful. The forest is mixed with farmland and valleys. Unfortunately, it has been rapidly getting too much population in recent years. You haven't yet learned what locals know: "Shhhhh! Don't ever mention the Driftless to outsiders!" And I'm serious about this. So, never mind! Nothing to see here! Move away. Outsiders can visit briefly, but not stay.

The Ozarks, to me, are so beautiful because of the dense deciduous forest. However (and I lived in Arkansas for 4 years, so can say this quite truthfully) the humans who live there live up to every negative stereotype. Lack of education, lack of good health care, inbreeding and crazy hard core religiousness have all combined to create a human population which is just gross, to be avoided by normal human beings.

The Ouachita are similarly beautiful, and less populated by humans (although populated by the same kind of humans I described in the above.) It really is an area most Americans don't know about, so there are more huge areas that feel as though they haven't been touched by human hand. The area feels less touristy and more "natural" than the Ozarks.

If I were to pick one of these places to go as a tourist, I'd pick the Ouachitas because of the beauty and fewer tourists. If I were to return to one of these places to live, and if I could pick to remove the existing humans who live there (and that's VERY important) I would pick the Ouachitas. But based on the reality of the human factor, I'd pick the Dri..... (what? there's no such place. It doesn't exist. Never mind.)
Yeah, living in the Ozarks is an uphill battle. I say this as a conservative, fairly religious person.
The Ouachitas are nicer all around. Less trashed out than the cluttered Ozarks, mostly. The "build anything anywhere, every other house has/is it's own junk yard, and abandon and replace all things old but don't tear it down" mentality drastically devalues the scenery of the place. I'm also wary of drinking the local water because of it.
The Driftless, I'll visit but not stay because I'd rather live on a big lake (Sawtooth).

Last edited by sub; 04-04-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.