Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not entirely true. I know a fair amount of people who make good income on their own, but have moved from either another county in this region or out of state to Prince George's due to the COL being slightly better than its surrounding neighbors.

Also median home values in PG County have the highest percentage increase in the DC area the past couple of years.

And anybody who knows the area well, knows that Charles county is taking more gentrified DC residents now than PG.
We must know different people. The affluent black people I know aren't moving into bad school districts, unless they're in city neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Why oh why are people so fascinated with race in this country?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Read up on it. It’s a pretty integral part of our history and has a pretty big impact on people’s lives

Old 04-02-2018, 09:30 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Read up on it. It’s a pretty integral part of our history and has a pretty big impact on people’s lives
Pretty much. Google Stephon Clark, that might be a good start.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
speaking about rough idk how rough or safe many of these areas being mentioned in many of these communities across the country are. Most of the areas being mentioned are being judged by their income status!
That's typically a good proxy for how safe or unsafe the place is.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Because it matters.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because it matters.
It matters because people drag it into everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The key word is history. Which is what some of this needs to be. I'm not saying there are no issues, but it's very overblown and some people need to get over themselves.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:23 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
In the Detroit area, West Bloomfield, parts of Farmington Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, parts of the Grosse Pointe area, Bingham Farms, Orchard Lake Village, Lathrup Village and parts of the Rochester/Rochester Hills area. Most of these places are in Oakland County.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It matters because people drag it into everything.
And let me guess: people "drag it into everything" by merely talking about it. You don't actually see neighborhoods of any socioeconomic level comprised of people of predominantly one race anywhere in America; that's just a figment of people's imaginations. Every realtor and lender in America is colorblind and there is no such thing as steering. It would simply be unfathomable to think that people of a certain race or ethnicity could be targeted for shoddy home loans...nah, that couldn't be. If there's one area where race is only a factor because people won't stop talking about it, it's housing.

Does that about sum it up?

Quote:
The key word is history. Which is what some of this needs to be. I'm not saying there are no issues, but it's very overblown and some people need to get over themselves.
What is it about this subject that upsets you so? This isn't even a racial hot-button issue. We're talking about the descendants of African slaves in America and African and Caribbean immigrants who have overcome the odds and achieved the American dream and have the means to live practically wherever they want, and simply by discussing this we need to "get over ourselves"? Give me a break. I absolutely LOVE to see Black folks doing well for themselves given all the hell we've been through (and are still going through in some areas) and learning about aspects of their lives, like the places they choose to call home, interests me and many others. If that gets under your skin or whatever, then that's your problem, not mine.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,200 times
I don't know of any "rich" enclaves, but Teaneck and Englewood both have large working class-middle class African American communities. South Orange and Montclair have large black populations and tend to be more upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.