Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Oregon is one of the most materialistic cultures and consumerist places and in America. Vermont and Wisconsin seem legit.
What makes you say that about Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You stole my answer.
Great minds think alike.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 AM
sub sub started this thread

4,963 posts, read 3,747,345 times
Thanks for the replys.
The Amish are a great example, but I was more interested in the mainstream of society.
Also, not necessarily interested in who's anti-materialistic, rather who is less so.
I also wasn't thinking about an "us versus them" scenario. North-south, city-country, etc.
Every state and region has wealth, but in some places people seem less inclined to aquire and/or show off. Of course, there are always those that do anywhere you go. Just curious about the overall attitude of a place.
Perhaps it's the same everywhere, but my personal experience suggests otherwise.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,669,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Ohio is pretty blue collar state overall but they have plenty of white collar and materialistic professionals in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Cleveland. Def not the least materialistic place in the Midwest that would be Iowa or Nebraska. If I had to give an answer it would be New England thou like Maine and Vermont.
Yea Ohio can't be considered to be unmaterialistic, add Columbus to the list of cities where consumerism is high. Heck it's headquarters to many large retail chains and practically led the 80s and 90s chain.mall revolution. It's a commercial as any other large us city.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Yea Ohio can't be considered to be unmaterialistic, add Columbus to the list of cities where consumerism is high. Heck it's headquarters to many large retail chains and practically led the 80s and 90s chain.mall revolution. It's a commercial as any other large us city.
He probably meant to have Columbus on that list already--doubt he meant to include Cleveland twice, heh.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,264 times
For a big city though, Columbus' materialism is average at most. It just happens to be a good test market due to the demographics and central location to the eastern half of the country, which is why a lot of corporations base their operations there, and lacks an iconic shopping venue or lifestyle compared to other cities.

I'd say the Great Plains, most of Appalachia (especially from KY/VA north), and much of the intermountain West come to mind. When the primary focus is about religion, agriculture, outdoor recreation and guns, I'd hardly call that a materialistic lifestyle, and I'd also add the rural south as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.