Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 PM

38 posts, read 35,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't know how Nashville is with regard to climate, but the Texas Triangle blows. You'd be trading crappy winters for equally long and crappy summers. The average high in Austin is 90 or above from early June 'til the middle of September. Also, don't let anybody BS you into thinking that because Austin isn't as humid as Houston or Corpus that it's dry. It's not. Dew points in the 60s and 70s are common from May 'til October/November.

Austin isn't cheap, either, and the traffic there is horrendous.
Yeah I think Austin is out of the question, but i'll definitely go down for a good time one of these winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 PM

570 posts, read 559,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottylerdurden View Post
Yeah I think Austin is out of the question, but i'll definitely go down for a good time one of these winters.
It's not so bad as long as u take precaution. But atleast it won't be fridging cold out. Lol

Have you thought of any of these cities? Nashville, Louisville KY, Charlotte or Kansas City?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:50 PM

38 posts, read 35,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
It's not so bad as long as u take precaution. But atleast it won't be fridging cold out. Lol

Have you thought of any of these cities? Nashville, Louisville KY, Charlotte or Kansas City?
Thinking Nashville. The rest don't interest me much. The south is not really what I'm looking for.

I'd also prefer cold to 100 degrees

Old 04-07-2018, 02:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Denver? Portland? Boston? Idk, suggestions?
Denver has a ton of transplants, many of whom are interested in making new friends. We do have a fair amount of them who won't make it a secret that weed was one of the reasons they moved here, but still, most of them are functional beyond that (), and at least half of transplants are upwardly mobile.

The natives that another poster mentioned are quite militant, but since you're from WI, most of them wouldn't have the geographical knowledge to adequately insult you for it. You're not from CA, TX, or NE (Nebraska), so you're pretty safe. The main gripes about transplants is that we are raising the cost-of-living, contributing to the increased traffic, destroying the trails (many natives don't even go on those anyway lol), making CO more "librul", and on and on. They seriously want CO to return to how it was in 1980. They will tell you Colorado is full ( ), to go back "home", and Broncos Broncos Broncos.

I've had friends of both types, but as I've made no secret on the Denver/CO forums, I myself am not happy with the social situation here, and I've been here 11 years. Small talk is non-existent, neighborliness is unheard of, customer service is atrocious, and it just seems like many people are interested in sticking to their own scenes, and could care less if anybody outside of those scenes exists. There is a very obvious "me first" attitude here as well...many people are just flat out rude and lack common courtesy.

Of course, the biggest no-no in Denver/Colorado is criticizing it or anything about it in any way (this is the golden rule shared by natives and transplants). You have to love this place with all of your heart at all times. Repeat after me: This is the most wonderful place in the world and we are all lucky to be here. Remember this any time you think about saying anything critical, and if you do, at least try to be inquisitive or whimsical about it.

All that being said, I don't think Denver is like Minneapolis at all, we just don't care as much about having an orderly society, and we don't have any trees and lakes (comparatively speaking). Our winters are much better though. Portland may indeed be more what you're looking for, but a big contingent of the population is quite helpless, and they have the nativism thing going on as well (I have a ton of friends in Portland, and I think making friends and keeping them is a lot easier there, overall they just seem more open to more things, even with their faults).

What about Chicago?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:58 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
I seriously can't even imagine November and 90 degrees...does texas ever get a break?
That's not the norm. It's usually beautiful in fall in Austin. I would also recomend Columbus and Charlotte for OP

Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That's not the norm. It's usually beautiful in fall in Austin. I would also recomend Columbus and Charlotte for OP
Austin doesn't really have fall in the traditional sense at all, the sun angle is much too strong as the latitude there is very far south. Austin gets some sizable changes in the weather, but that is due to its position near the southern Great Plains region.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
I'm liking what I'm seeing in Nashville just still a bit hesitant with the south. Denver sounds cool but a lacking music scene really is a deal breaker.
If a music scene is that important, then Nashville is a very serious music city. Regarding COL:, Popular cities are popular for a reason. If living in Nashville or Denver or wherever is going to make you happy, then don’t let the cost of housing scare you away. A bungalow in Nashville is going to much more fun than a McMansion in Lincoln. Just saying.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Thinking Nashville. The rest don't interest me much. The south is not really what I'm looking for.

I'd also prefer cold to 100 degrees
I would like to point out, TN is in the south. It may not be considered "deep south", but it's south. Also, Nashville is about 1/2 the size in MSA as Minne. That may affect your ability to find a job.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:04 PM

123 posts, read 210,008 times
How do you all feel about this --> Minnesota ranks #4 in the USA for Social Environment. USNews is a very valuable resource tool and I'm currently using it to find which area of the country to move to. I love the idea of moving to either Minneapolis or Rochester but I don't like the idea of shoveling every day.

It is really frustrating deciding on where to live. I'm currently in Los Angeles and can no longer afford to live here and I live in one of the cheaper areas. I looked into Minneapolis and I read a lot things on here and elsewhere that it's getting too expensive and hard to find a place. But everywhere I look people say the same thing. They say it about Denver and Portland, OR too. The thing is I don't need my own apartment. So perhaps these are warnings to people who need a lot more than me. Like those with families looking for a home. I just need a room/share and a good economy to find a job while I continue to self-study web dev.

Minneapolis has excellent room/share options and even Portland, too. So it's very confusing to me knowing where to go. On the other hand there are dirt cheap places like Toledo but the economy and overall state rankings for areas like that aren't very good.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:

Curious, what do you think of the twin cities in terms of diversity? I hear mixed things, and don't have much of a reference point being from Green Bay, WI. It seems mildly diverse IMO, not overly so, but definitely have a mix of cultures to some extent.
The diversity is much more visible now than when I first moved to the area, especially in St. Paul. However, the Twin Cities area needs to do a better job of attracting educated and affluent populations.

Quote:
I can walk around uptown on a friday night at 10 without speaking to a single soul, not so much as need to brush shoulders or say "excuse me"

The streets are dead, the bars are full of yuppies. It's a shame. Northeast is kind of overrated IMO, and north loop i've seen a whole lot of nothing.
To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would want to hang out in Uptown and / or the North Loop area. Uptown is nothing like the Uptown Prince once sang about and North Loop is full of people from that neighborhood and the burbs. Cedar-Riverside is my go-to neighborhood. If I'm not there, I'm in south MPLS or St. Paul's west side.

BTW, if you think the streets of Minneapolis are dead and the bars are full of yuppies, then I suggest you scratch Denver from your list as the neighborhoods there are about as lively as those you've experienced in MPLS. Also, there are a lot more hipster/yuppie/bro types there, which is very unfortunate.

Last edited by YIMBY; 04-08-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.