Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,196,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Hello we know them, those Cites that are known and somewhat Prides it's self off of it's Negative qualities/image. The Big Cities of the Northeast, Midwest and West have been know for them for years and we know what those Qualities are. Bad Traffic, high crime rates, Urban grime, Graffiti, etc. It's a sense of headache and trouble for most but for some reason most Cities don't feel as though they have arrived unless they have these things being that it gives it a sense of Big City pride and sad to say some Cities pride themselves as the unsaid word of progress and growth once they have these things whether they want to admit it or not. On the flip side of that you have those qualities that some Cities don't want in there name sake, and hate for you to bring them up.. This can all go by region as well. What Cities seem to pride themselves the most off of these negative qualities, what are these qualities, maybe some I haven't thought of. What are the qualities that some Cities want to avoid all together even though they exist?
I disagree that graffiti is a problem. It’s a form of art and it adds character to a neighborhood! And often times can be very beautiful. I’d rather have this instead of plain old walls:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyh72/17171555801/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/basila...-aub1Ag-6jg3vR
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lixx/5...-7gNeRE-6PWcfX
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zehpal...-b1fj6X-9YpXzY
https://www.flickr.com/photos/edcnyc/15172205175/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/loisst...T-4ycY5-a5KnjS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:39 PM

13,944 posts, read 14,832,144 times
Every place seems to claim they have the worst driver

Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,355,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Every place seems to claim they have the worst driver
Miami is the winner!

Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM

503 posts, read 793,454 times
New Yorkers have this so bad. Some of them really pride themselves on being rude lol

Old 04-05-2018, 06:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,141,457 times
Philadelphia, bar none. Just look at Kelce’s speech after the Super Bowl win. The whole city’s mentality is that of the underdog who sometimes wins, but is usually just the lovable loser. Eagles players, and then the fans, wore underdog masks for several weeks to cement this. “Trust the process” became a weird mantra of pride for about four years as the Sixers kept tanking. Meek Mill is now more famous for losing to Drake and the legal system than his music, but people are rallying behind him in droves. Hell, in a city famous for boxers, the most famous one is a fictional one who LOST in the first movie, but went the distance.

Philly, more than any other city in the country, prides itself on being the underdog, on grit, on boorishness, on taking a beating, sometimes winning but often losing, but never, ever giving up. That’s not NYC (we’re the greatest in the world in everything), that’s not LA (who cares, we’re rich/pretty), that’s not SF (were super innovative), that’s not DC (I run so and so that influences the world), that’s not Boston (we’re smaaaht, except for Southie), that’s not Pittsburgh (we actually have winning PA sports teams) and not Baltimore (we’re not that bad). We’ll see if this changes with increasing gentrification, suddenly successful sports teams, and increased national visibility, but I doubt it.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Some cities have their detractors who like to say they speak for the majority of the residents of their city when they spout their negativism. They perpetuate negative stereotypes. They claim they are supportive of their city but they really are not. Their main purpose is to whine and to draw attention to their own neurotic selves.

That’s why when I see the same person posting post after post how inferior a city is, I cannot help thinking it’s more about the person complaining about the city than the city itself.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,426,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There are at least tangible benifits to that, Massachusetts has higher taxes than Kentucky but also has better infrastructure, school healthcare and social safety net leading to less homelessness crime and hunger
I disagree that higher taxes are the reason in the overwhelming majority of these cases. A higher tax burden makes the dollar weaker (ie buying power), raises housing costs, less affordable housing, more taxes to subsidize this problem, leading to a higher tax burden for everyone..... and so it goes. Too, more times than not, these social "safety nets" become lifestyles by its recipients, only perpetuating their plight. Keeps them from being homeless, yet still dependent on government, setting up a built in voting constituency being the ultimate goal. I'm living in Massachusetts now and the return per tax dollar is ridiculous. The affluent Cape Cod village my parents-in-law live in don't even have sidewalks. Trying to get road work done for drainage issue has been like pulling teeth. Highway rest stops are almost nonexistent. Health Care, from my and my family's experience, here on the Cape is the least good of any place I've ever lived (including metros in the South. So, that higher taxes is a banner of pride is a bit laughable.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 PM

13,944 posts, read 14,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I disagree that higher taxes are the reason in the overwhelming majority of these cases. A higher tax burden makes the dollar weaker (ie buying power), raises housing costs, less affordable housing, more taxes to subsidize this problem, leading to a higher tax burden for everyone..... and so it goes. Too, more times than not, these social "safety nets" become lifestyles by its recipients, only perpetuating their plight. Keeps them from being homeless, yet still dependent on government, setting up a built in voting constituency being the ultimate goal. I'm living in Massachusetts now and the return per tax dollar is ridiculous. The affluent Cape Cod village my parents-in-law live in don't even have sidewalks. Trying to get road work done for drainage issue has been like pulling teeth. Highway rest stops are almost nonexistent. Health Care, from my and my family's experience, here on the Cape is the least good of any place I've ever lived (including metros in the South. So, that higher taxes is a banner of pride is a bit laughable.
Well the Statistics show the opposite

Old 04-06-2018, 09:08 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,449,059 times
It does seem that most Cities obsess over having Bad Traffic or Crazy drivers! That seems to be the number UNO pride of most Cities.. Being rude seems to be up there as well...Heck, most cities feel as though, they wouldn't be the city they are or have that Big City reputation without it!!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,857,703 times
Not Chicago. When someone insults our city, we'll say, "Yeah, I agree, and I'm moving out of here ASAP."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.