Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 15,315 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in northeastern, very rural Montana. I grew up here, but did leave for awhile to Grand Forks, ND for college, and lived for about a year in Sioux Falls, SD before getting divorced and moving back to MT (planned to be temporary...it's been 6 years). I liked both places a lot.

I'm finally ready to start finding a permanent place to live. I like Montana a lot, but being in this remote of an area is difficult at times (100 miles from Walmart...), and being an early-30s, single woman, I'd like to be a little closer to a bigger town or city where I could do some intramural sports or other activities to meet people and have some fun in my spare time. I also lean moderate to slightly liberal politically, and where I live is super conservative...it can get a little hostile at times.

I am trying to go back to school to be a Physician Assistant, which would take 2 years once I get in. If I apply this year and don't get in, I'll just stick with my current career, which is a Medical Lab Scientist at a hospital. Obviously, I'd be able to afford a property about double as a PA, compared to what I would if I stayed a MLS.

My main hobby/passion is showing and training horses, so that definitely needs to be a factor in where I will move. I show Appaloosas on a national level, and would like to continue that. There are a ton of shows within 4 hours of Peoria, IL, so within that area would be great, give or take several hours. Most of the shows are in the Michigan/Illinois/Iowa area. The World Appaloosa show has been in Fort Worth, Texas lately, so being a little further south to make that drive easier would also be nice.

The final reason as to why I'm looking to move to this area is family. My parents and sister live in Minneapolis (parents go back and forth to MT too but I see MN being more permanent in the future), and my parents aren't getting any younger, so I'd like to be somewhat close (within 4 hours) of them. This is very important to me--my parents are everything to me.

Ideally, I'd like a small farm (at least 5 acres but I live on 2 currently so can make about anything work) close (within 45 miles) to a large town/city (50,000+ people maybe?). I don't trail ride, so I don't need any special trails near me, but an indoor riding arena would be great! Cheap hay, low taxes, safety, close to a hospital...those are also factors that will go into my decision.

So, help me find my "perfect" spot! I'm looking at SD, MN, IA, WI, IL and even NE if it would fit the bill and be within driving distance (eg by Omaha). Any ideas? For states on my list, what are good areas in that state? Bad areas? How are taxes? Cost of living? Etc.

Last edited by SiouxForever27; 04-06-2018 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 01:33 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Have you looked into the Galena, IL area?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 15,315 times
I haven't....I'm still a ways out from my move but wanted to do as much research so I at least had the area narrowed down when I was ready to look for properties. I will look into Galena! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.