Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
The no humidity takes out like half the country which should make this easier.
More like 90%...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
The no humidity takes out like half the country which should make this easier. I’ll say Portland.
Did you see the rent requirement part of it?

OP, good luck with all that. You can forget about the W Coast (perfect weather, unaffordable COL to you). The South is out, obviously. Well, the entire E Coast, except maybe Maine, is also out, due to weather issues.

Chicago? Is it hot/humid in the summers?

Even Portland is getting unaffordable. So maybe Vancouver, WA? Whether or not Portland/Vancouver have a good dating scene is debatable (the Pac NW is infamous for having very reserved people, tho Portland seems significantly better than Seattle, in that regard), but should be decent in the OP's age range. Definitely a hipster vibe. Rents are going up and up, though.

OP, I don't understand why, in the field you're in, you can't afford more for rent. Check out the Portland, OR, rental market, and also Vancouver, WA, on Craigslist, to get a general idea. If you find any encouraging info, consider posting on the Portland forum here, for more detailed advice about neighborhoods and relative affordability.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
All of those cities are very humid.
Good catch! I glossed over the humidity and focused on the "sweaty hot" part. Those cities are definitely humid in the literal sense of the word, but it doesn't get "sweaty hot" too often. Here's an article with some data on Cleveland. The average summer temps are in the 70s, with only a few days to a few weeks topping 90F in any given year.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,172 times
When I said no humidity/no sweat heat, I meant I just didn't want to melt in the sun and I don't want to have my clothes drenched in sweat. That doesn't mean no summer at all.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:53 PM

And I guess I would reconsider having roommates, but I have had problems with roommates in the past.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Have any of the cities suggested so far appealed to you? Why or why not?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM

I've always been interested in Chicago and Portland, but I worry about finding a job in both of those places. And it seems like I'd have better job luck in Seattle over Portland and I'd also have better job luck in NYC over Chicago. But maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Is Portland really that cheap? I've never looked into it. If the whole trust fund hipster stereotype is true at all, I figured $700-$1000 a month would be far too low of a budget.
No I used to live there up until 2014. My observation for someone with your list is Portland is not a good idea for you.

It’s a very nice, modern city but it does not meet much of your criteria. Rent for a one bedroom will be higher than your higher end budget. The job and the dating scene don’t fall in place for you either. Men outnumber women there in your age category. I don’t think there are all that many jobs available in your area either.

Trust fund hipster is true but getting less so as time goes by.

I think you would be better in a place that did meet more of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.