Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times

Advertisements

I seem to remember this movie where a Sargent tells
a recruit that only two things come from Oklahoma
steers and *****s. So if your into gay cowboys.....

Seriously though Chicago is a huge gay city with
a gay beach, gay bars, a big gay parade, gay neighborhood
- Lincoln Park. Hell I remember a couple of companies I did work for
where the employees were primarily gay. No kidding here
whats with so many gay color matchers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf View Post
San Francisco is known as a mecca for gays. Huge gay pride parade there every summer-- August I think?
FYI, Pride month is June.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM

As a gay man from (very gay friendly and extremely liberal - the mayor is gay and comes out to the bars lol) Providence, RI I can assure you that the Northeast is one of, if not the best, place to live as part of the LGBT community. People here are educated, open minded and progressive. But most importantly, we have marriage and civil unions, rights to adoption and all the marital benefits hetrosexuals have. Gays are no longer second class citizens here, unlike most of the country, and we are welcome everywhere here, not just specific gay ghettos. So next time your here, come check out Boston, Cambridge, South End, Providence, Northampton, Ogunquit, and most importantly PROVINCETOWN!! lol

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What, are you kidding? Atlanta is as gay as a pink hairnet!
Check the stats on where gays are living on City-Data; you'll be surprised.
LOL Decatur.

I do remember not long ago some number being tossed around that said in sheer numbers (not per capita, but actual count) that the "estimated" number of gay people in Atlanta made it as having the 3rd largest number of gay men and women in North America. Atlanta is not really a true Southern city since there are so many from all over the world here, but since it's still technically in the Bible belt and the suburban areas are more conservative than other parts of the U.S., the gay crowd here is supposedly a bit more "subdued" than in other cities, so not as visible to the general population who typically isn't very observant to that kind of stuff.

Of course, there is no real way to get real numbers here. There are gay people who are "out", gay people who are not exactly out but not really hiding it either. Gay people who are in closets. Then the never talked about bisexuals who may or may not (usually not) consider themselves "gay" or in a completely different category but are never counted... yadda yadda.

I did notice that there seems to be a division here in Atlanta in the gay community though. I have a good friend who's gay who's a higher ranking guy in one of the armed forces. He's a super macho type of guy - military all the way, and he comes down verbally pretty hard on what he slang-terms as "the twinks". Apparently, "twinks" are the more effeminate gay men, and guys like my friend (apparently larger in number than most of us realize) are not thrilled with the twink sect., and that sect don't like his type either, saying that they're not "gay enough". Geez - it's political! Anyway - proves a valid point that gay, straight, bi, tri, quad.. whatever.. there are so many different variations of all types of people in a larger city that it's mind blowing if you even try to understand it all.

So I guess if you're gay and worried about Atlanta - don't be.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
The longer gay people feel they have to go to a particular place or a certain region to live. You have to ask yourself are you really living. I see nothing but basically a glorifed ghetto or the development of them. The hell with the ones that make one feel they can't live someplace, let them move then. I look for places that are affordable and a climate more appealing. I look for places where I don't have to completely depend on a car as the world changes and we become priced out of so many places. Most of these gay friendly places ,not all but most are extremely overpriced and not for the average person. We all know that, why not find other places and mix in with the population, or this will always be the same thing. Don't move to the south, don't move to the midwest, they are to conservative and gay unfriendly. They are probably unfriendly to a point and there will still be some that are not so bad. If this is suppose to the be the United States, I don't see anything United in thinking someone gay has to live in Palm Springs or San Fran etc to live in their own country. You have to ask yourself if you feel so limited in areas to live in, are you living in the right country.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
I agree, jimrob, I look for areas that are accepting, but I really don't want to live in a gayborhood. It seems too limiting. Most of my friends are actually straight and I don't make my sexuality the sum of my identity.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I agree, jimrob, I look for areas that are accepting, but I really don't want to live in a gayborhood. It seems too limiting. Most of my friends are actually straight and I don't make my sexuality the sum of my identity.
Ditto. I'm gay but the majority of my friends are straight. I couldn't imagine being completedly surrounded by gay people 24/7- I like to hang out with a diverse crowd.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Ditto. I'm gay but the majority of my friends are straight. I couldn't imagine being completedly surrounded by gay people 24/7- I like to hang out with a diverse crowd.

LOL! A friend invited me on a "gay cruise". I stared at him in horror at the idea of being trapped out at see with 2,000 other gay men for 10 days

Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
LOL! A friend invited me on a "gay cruise". I stared at him in horror at the idea of being trapped out at see with 2,000 other gay men for 10 days

Lol i've been on the Atlantis cruise, you would be a Diva on the Boat fyi !!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Lol i've been on the Atlantis cruise, you would be a Diva on the Boat fyi !!
I don't know if "diva" is a word I'd use to describe me. I like attention and all, but I don't demand it

Nate,

I used to live in Warwick and I LOVED Providence. I still think of moving back there sometimes; I just can't get used to the idea of winter again **shudder**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.